Do people really want MMR displayed instead of SR?

There is. It’s the SR system. It’s literally just there to make MMR more easily digestible.

7 Likes

I don’t trust the hidden stuff at all. Show it, or get rid of it.

5 Likes

but there is something more to SR than just being digestible.

such as when you tie, you’re SR won’t move but your MMR will

I’m assuming you’re not an engineer in the aerospace industry. So you probably don’t know exactly what’s behind keeping a passenger jet in the air. And I bet you still fly.

No, MMR doesn’t move, either. Can’t be bothered looking up the reference but it was either a blue post or a dev update video.

2 Likes

I’d need a link. If you tie in a chess match, the lower rated player will gain rankpoints. It must be the same in Overwatch. It must!!

1 Like

Hmmm, I can’t find it. But in How Competitive Skill Rating Works - Season 17 it says that draws have an unknown affect on MMR. So maybe I was misremembering it. Given MMR has some dependency not only on win/loss but also individual performance it would make sense for it to be adjusted after a draw, but less than after a win or loss.

Perhaps that’s another reason why it’s good to have SR. It wouldn’t feel good losing points for a draw. Also it would go against Blizzard’s mantra of only winning matters.

It may do but not necessarily. Overwatch’s system is based on the Elo system but is heavily modified. There’s no real reason why they should behave the same.

I’ll choose discomfort over accuracy.

The most lopsided match the matchmaker can create is 60/40. If you tie that game, you must assume the win/loss portion of you MMR will move.

Also, tell us how much PBSR you gained.

if your real MMR is 2.3847abxz, there must be a way for them to translate that for the layman. And not by way of some “mysterious” SR number. If it’s too complicated there will be many videos and blogposts explaining how to convert it.

I don’t know for sure, but I have a strong feeling MMR could be made public.

Yes it would be weird having 2 numbers for your rating, but this is what I propose.

have a rating and a grade

2100 B+, 3237 A+, 4102 C-

the first is your rating and the second is the confidence.

and they should show the bell curve and a giant list. Because MMR is relative, your MMR could move erratically if half of the Overwatch population went on vacation at the same time

One thing I think they should really display, whether MMR is public or not is win chance percentage. But who’s gonna try if they see a 40% win chance percentage? You might ask. And to that I answer, who cares.

1 Like

I barely passed algebra 1 let’s stick with whole numbers pls

1 Like

The Overwatch matchmaking system has nothing to do with Elo. I’d say the closest known ranking system is TrueSkill.

2 Likes

Yes, I’d like MMR to be visible. It could be rescaled to bigger numbers to make it more digestible. The problem with MMR as it now stands is that is almost, but not quite, equal to SR. But we all know that MMR is the real number, so we are always seeing a shadow of the number, rather than the actual number, and it makes it harder to understand what is going on.

In addition, if we knew MMR exactly, a significant number of conspiracy theories would be even more impossible.

2 Likes

Agreed, Elo is designed for 1v1 and Overwatch is definitely not that. Trueskill is designed for team fights, but it would have to be heavily modified as well because kills per death isn’t the deciding factor in Overwatch.

Wasn’t TrueSkill based on Elo, but heavily modified?

The +3 to -3 might provide some evidence for those people who were suggesting that handicapping exists. Maybe if you’re a +3 you’re the one expected to carry your team and if you’re a -3 it means you’re about to get carried for a bunch of games. That would explain the long win and lose streaks that seem happen so often.

1 Like

There are over 10s of millions of player, how will you even find yourself X)? Even if it’s just 1 mil?

SR is MMR simplified into one number

Yes my friends, MMR should be visible for all to see especially with new system. This new system is to be trying to do things better so why not start with the right foot forward. I have been talking with my people and I am not believing they will show it but it has been discuss.

I am supporting this new system and have been having better moods since its new release it just feels good man. I am truly believing that they did things right, we will see.

Jeff is good man, you will see.

You can see a pretty in-depth overview along with Q&A here: _https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/project/trueskill-ranking-system/

Or if you prefer, the white paper that led to Trueskill is here: _https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/trueskill-2-improved-bayesian-skill-rating-system/

If you check it out you’ll notice a lot of similarities between Trueskill and what we know about Overwatch’s system (e.g. the way Jeff described confidence in a player’s rating, and if a team loses due to leavers then everyone on the team loses SR because otherwise it’s a vector for exploitation.)

I didn’t see any reference to Elo in the white paper. That’s not to say nothing was used from it, of course.

I understand the mistake as it was said so briefly, but he means it’s a range from -3 to +3 for all of mmr, and your mmr is adjusting in tiny amounts within that range. It also allows people outside that range, if needed.

Just think of 2350SR as equal to mmr 0.

100% this. I have my issues with the matchmaker, and my disagreements with Kaawumba, but nothing would make me happier than actually getting clarification.

I think Mmr is basically the amount of sr you get per match and the bigger the streak is the higher mmr will get and it caps at 3 and the bigger the lose streak is the more you lose I think it caps at negative 3 well 3 is no the cap but it basically where most players are

the list would have a search function

you could also order the list by lots of different stats; Time played, dmg/10 minutes, average ults per match, boop deaths from Lucio etc etc etc…

THE REAL PROBLEM WITH HIDDEN MMR IS THE LACK OF INTEGRETY

This is Overwatch, not piñata or pin the tale on the donkey.

all avenues to winning (gaining SR), must be explicated laid out. Anything less is sacrilegious when concerning sport and competition.

(Note: it’s very funny that they don’t have to be forthright with the MMR system, because for the first time in human history, we have a computer for a judge.)

so my argument about lack of integrity is more about tradition and less about verification.

1 Like