Do i want higher fps or resolution?

Higher fps, higher res can cause more delay

1 Like

fps fps fps fps, you want all those sweet sweet frames.

My graphics settings for example:
Everything on low or off, shadows on low, lighting on ultra, textures high, textures don’t really matter though. Best way

2 Likes

In before the “human eyes can’t see more than 60 frames” arguement or the “60 hz don’t need more frames” arguement too.

Well, i still want my game to look pretty, haha, so i play with the graphics my screen can run, 70/80fps

haha, even 75hz is a massive improvement over 60, those guys are just silly :stuck_out_tongue:

Higher fps, if you can afford it I’d go for the 1440p @ 144hz+ if you are getting a screen bigger than 24 inches.

Edit: assuming your system can handle pushing 144+ frames at 1440p

1 Like

People don’t understand why I overclocked my monitor to 75, but non believers I guess :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ll get one that runs the required resolution and graphics if i decide to purchase one, don’t worry lol

No way, mine’s overclocked too, to 77 though, haha, the difference is massive.

If I try to inch for 76 my monitor goes CONK so I’m jealous

if you super competitive 240hz 1080p if not and you have some cash to throw
144hz 1440p. whatever you do have at least 144hz. the difference is night and day.

1 Like

If you have to choose, FPS over resolution

1 Like

Haha, anything above that and mine does too, 77 was the breaking point, but seriously, not even joking, those 2 frames really make a difference, I can tell between 75 and 77, crazy the difference 2 frames makes.

How do you overclock?

I tried going back to 60 after playing on 75 for a few months, HOLY CRAP WHY DOES IT LOOK SOO CHOPPY.

The one time I was at my uncle’s house, I got a chance to play OW on a 144hz monitor, the stuff of the dreams. When I came back home to my 75hz, I legit thought I had 30 fps. I’m concerned if I ever touch 240hz, I will never be able to play on my own rig again

I run a 980ti and use a 1440p 144Hz monitor, it is amazing. I keep most my stuff at ultra or medium, no AA, no reflections, and run around 160-210 fps consistently. If you can afford it, go for both, if not, go for fps/high refresh rate.

1 Like

As a non-pro gamer bleeding edge advantage opinion:

I recommend FPS over resolution. I used a high refresh rate monitor for the first time recently, and the sheer fluidity of the animation on things was incredibly striking. Especially on fast animations, like McCree spinning his revolver.

At the same time though, unless you opt for a highly expensive IPS monitor with 144hz capability, you’ll have to settle with a TN, which have terrible color.

It’s actually why I returned mine, since I work with video a lot.

1 Like

I use a program called CRU (custom resolution utility) it’s fairly easy to use, you can read the EDID data from your monitor and change accordingly, be careful though, if you use it incorrectly, you can face breaking damaging or getting locked out of your monitor, the program has a restart feature that resets your graphics card to make the changes, if you get: ‘input signal out of range’ message, you can use I believe f8 to enter recovery mode, so you don’t get locked out of your monitor.

Be careful if you’re going to use it please, it’s a great program though.

Or you can use NVidia control panel to overclock, which I recommend more to someone who’s never overclocked.

Consistent fps, higher is always better. This game looks good even on low res.

If your games are 85% competitive FPS-based games like OW, CS:GO, Fortnite etc, then yes, Frames-per-second would be your major consideration.

Also, get monitors with native aspect ration of 16:9 for now because while other games support 21:9, OW does not really do so.

I have created a thread about PC specs and in-game settings to optimize FPS for community reference and hopefully, more peeps would add to it.

So far, i am glad to say that it has assisted at least one member of the community who had frame rate optimisation issues.

1 Like