Disheartened Mercy Main

I’ve always been a die hard fan of Blizzard. Through Starcraft, Warcraft, World of Warcraft, Diablo, and now Overwatch. I joke with my kids about how ‘Blizzard know best’ as they balance characters and tweak abilities.

I loved how they would generally give characters some good news, some buff, even when receiving an overall nerf, just to keep the character fun.

But these Mercy nerfs are really starting to crack my belief in Blizzards decisions. The relentless nerfing with not even a little buff to help seems uncalled for.
I was glad for the return of Mercy’s ‘hop’. But since then it seems to be nerf after nerf with no care for the fan base trying to survive as the character who wields a heal staff in a shooting game.

69 Likes

At any point before the last nerf, a compensation buff would have made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

15 Likes

I do agree with that.

Problem is, blizzard acknowledged that Mercy was at 50% winrate and didn’t need changes… and then nerfed her again anyways.

Hard to tell how they didn’t see Mercy’s current situation coming. Or maybe they did, but just wanted Mercy out of the meta that badly.

31 Likes

They misjudged, and she remained at a near 100% pickrate. Similar to Ana currently.
Who is probably going to get a nerf or 2 next patch.

It was fairly early right after a nerf back then.
It makes sense that they thought it would balance her pickrate out.
That was the sledgehammer nerf to her ult.

1 Like

That’s what I’m saying. This last nerf should have come with at least a little buff.

2 Likes

You do realise that if you have a 100% pickrate your winrate is BOUND to be 50% since she is on both teams…

11 Likes

Mercy maintains a highpickrate despite her current situation. She’s a popular character even at her weakest.

While I know winrate isn’t everything - if a character is balanced, you’d think Blizzard would realize the others just need buffing. Ana probably would have done well with her buffs alone, without needing the other healer bodyslammed.

And if this were all true, Reinhardt would have already been nerfed. His pickrate is not only higher than Mercy’s was pre-nerf, he maintains a a very high winrate (something notoriously hard to high pickrate characters to do).

But this won’t happen. Because the community loves Reinhardt.

Blizzard balances around feedback, and doesn’t lend much weight to stats. So Ana might stay this strong, or not. It depends more on what people say than her true performance. If there’s a lot of complaint threads, then yes, then she’ll be nerfed.

7 Likes

Tell that to Reinhardt.

2 Likes

Rein has nowhere near 100% pickrate, and none of them are near the level that mercy was.

2 Likes

His pickrate exceeds even pre-nerf mercy. So… yes, he does.

5 Likes

from tanks he is at a 30% pickrate, mercy was at 90+%
How the hell does he again?

whoops, hit edit instead of reply.

A 100% pickrate as you’re using the term, is not displayed literally in overbuff. The %s are relative. By Overbuff’s metric, mercy was areound the 10~11% range (all heroes view) or 30% range (support or tank only view) that indicates a close to 100% pickrate.

If you care to look at historic stats - before the latest Mercy nerf in particular - and look at the all heroes view, you’ll see Reinhardt above Mercy in pickrate.

But it doesn’t matter because the community is happy with this.

The question then… will the community be happy with Ana?

3 Likes

Makes sense.

Mercy takes views from OWL and streamers away from the game.

More people like OW when Mercy isnt around.

She has been a must pick for over a year.
I think that’s what pressured Blizzard into nerfing her like this.

Reinhardt has been out of the meta for several seasons.
He became meta because other charcters that synergize around him became meta. Remember all those buff Rein threads during season 8 and 9? I do.
Mercy however, has been sitting on a must pick status for over a year.

Not to be spiteful here, but If that were true, Mercy wouldn’t have been a must pick for over a year.

5 Likes

She didn’t have that though, her pick-rate was lower than Rein’s (somewhere between 10-11%).

For must pick status she would be between 13-16%.

5 Likes

honest question here.

why dont you just play another hero?

i used to main ana… when she was destroyed for 6 seasons i learned to play zen.

used to love playing zarya then dva rules for many seasons so i learnt her…

why would you buy a game and then only play one of like 30 heros…

just dont understand people who only play one hero, either way mercy is fine now, she has a niche on certain maps.

shes been dominant for 6 seasons or so… i think ana being the strongest main healer for a bit is pretty fair.

you should learn her, shes a lot of fun.

7 Likes

Her pickrate would’ve leveled out when the other supports got buffed though. She got unnecessarily nerfed

2 Likes

she has got less then ein in past 6 months, but the rework happened before 6 months, meaning she had way more at one point, especially during dive and shieldbreak meta, so while rein was a revlant nieche, mercy was just 100% allways the best choice.

Lmfao that’s shy were in this shthole to begin with.

That why you never blindly back something. You have to think critically, like how Hog needed a hook rework, but Bastions rework gutted him. Etc etc.

She was continually nerfed throughout that timeperiod. You can say blizzard should have done more at once, but they were not inactive.

And then didn’t stop when she was balanced, and after they even posted acknowledging she was balanced.

While I’m not the topic creator… Personally, I do. Doesn’t mean I think Blizz handled this well, nor that it’s not discouraging.