Disconnects - 2nd time uninstalled :(

I’m just tired of it. I get home from a long day at work and I just want to do something fun. I can deal with the toxicity and the throwers and the smurfs and the character changes that sometimes don’t seem to make sense… what I can’t deal with is…

1. Sometimes I get disconnected while the match is starting. Even if you reconnect successfully, it still ends and you still get penalized.
  2. When I get disconnected I have to login again. As in, manually type in your username AND password. This is stupid. This isn’t a banking app. It’s a game. It shouldn’t even LEAVE the game you were playing, it should try to reconnect automatically.
  3. There’s no easy way to let people know you didn’t disconnect on purpose, seemingly by design.

It is ridiculous that when the game disconnects, it doesn’t just try to reconnect to the game automatically. Why even go to the main menu (much less the login screen)?

I have an almost new Alienware 17R4, and a gigabit internet connection with one sole user (I live alone). My Windows 10 is all up-to-date.

I’m just one person and nobody special. No doubt my connection will be blamed (it isn’t, yes I’ve run WinMTR and the only time I’ve seen it drop packets is on Blizzard’s servers).

Honestly, I can go for weeks without any issues, but then there’s a day here or there where I’ll get disconnected like 6 times in a row. The penalties and suspensions that are truly an insulting slap in the face to a gamer who is positive and encouraging to their teammates sucks all the fun out of this game.

I will be wary of purchasing or supporting any future Blizzard products, and recommend the same to others, which makes me sad, because overall Overwatch has a lot of great things going for it and when it works and a team comes together, even if you lose, it’s a LOT of fun.

1 Like

By chance do you have one of these modems?

Intel Puma 6 Modem List Chipset Defects – ApprovedModemList.com

ARRIS DG1660
ARRIS DG1670
ARRIS DG2460
ARRIS DG2470
ARRIS DG3260
ARRIS DG3270
ARRIS DG3450
ARRIS SBG10
ARRIS SB6190
ARRIS SBG6950AC2
ARRIS SBG7400AC2
ARRIS SBG7580AC
ARRIS SBG7600AC2
ARRIS SBV3202
ARRIS SVG2482AC
ARRIS TG1652
ARRIS TG1662
ARRIS TG1672
ARRIS TG1682
ARRIS TG2472
ARRIS TG3452
ARRIS TM1602
ARRIS TM3402
ASUS CM-32
Hitron CDA3
Hitron CDA3-35
Hitron CGN3
Hitron CGNM-2250
Hitron (CGNM) CGNM-2252
Hitron CGNVM-2559
Hitron CGNM-3550
Hitron CGNM-3552
Hitron CGNVM-3580
Hitron CGNVM-3582
Hitron CGNVM-3589
Hitron CODA-45
Hitron CODA-4502
Hitron CODA-4580
Hitron CODA-4582
Hitron CODA-4589
Hitron CODA-46
Hitron CODA-4602
Hitron CODA-4680
Hitron CODA-4682
Hitron CODA-4689
Hitron CODA-47
Hitron CODA-4702
Hitron CODA-4780
Hitron CODA-4782
Hitron CODA-4789
Linksys CG6350
Linksys CG7500
Linksys CM3016
Linksys CM3024
NETGEAR C6300
NETGEAR C6300v2

NETGEAR C6300BD
NETGEAR CBR40
NETGEAR CM700

Since you asked, I happen to have the NETGEAR R6400, which I didn’t see on your list.

Well, different model, but still has whatever that ac1750 means.

I had a lot of disconnects on my Netgear 6300.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-dual-band-ac1750-router-with-16-x-4-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-black/4483016.p?skuId=4483016&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=499&ref=212&loc=1&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7sDlBRC9ARIsAD-pDFrpXvU5FRPQQVy6916UFsl0AsFYTk_SEC7TCIrXIQRxdqaRzNR066AaAmDnEALw_wcB

Switched to a beefy asus modem, and no issues since.
(Specifically cm_32_ac2600)

Rejoining a game without penalty is only possible during certain phases of the game and within a timely manner. If you leave a game either during the pre-game or during the first minute of the game, the game will automatically cancel (remember the 10 second rule does not apply to the leaver, but as a warning to other players that the match will cancel). You can rejoin the match during the initial hero selection screen if you are lucky enough to quickly reconnect though.

This happens if you launch the game from the BattleNet app launcher. It is faster to relog into the game by closing the game and launching from the app again.

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

I wish to point out that if anyone is a COX customer for their ISP, please be sure to contribute to the discussion in this thread:

Otherwise please start a new topic in the technical support forum with full results of a WinMTR test.

Oops, it’s just a Wi-Fi standard

AC means that the router has support for the latest 802.11ac networking standard, which offers fast WiFi network connections on the 5GHz frequency. The number that comes after AC represents the maximum theoretical bandwidth of the router. 1200 means 1200 Mbps, 1900 means 1900 Mbps, 3200 means 3200 Mbps and so on.Aug 10, 2017

@GreyFalcon:
I wrote up an explanation, but you seem to have found it.

@WyomingMyst
I’ve read about the policy, thanks. I’m not trying to change it.
Regarding being forced to re-enter your username and password, you said “this happens if you launch the game from the BattleNet app launcher” and “it is faster to relog into the game by closing the game and launching from the app again”.
I’m sorry, but this is absurd.

1. I actually tried running without the launcher and it behaves exactly the same either way when the connection is lost.
  2. Why, oh why would you say this is faster? Unless you have an absurdly long username/password or one that is difficult to type, etc. this is objectively slower because now the game has to be restarted fresh. Even if this was faster, this is design that is hostile to the user.
  3. That Blizzard’s own launcher COULD cause this issue is absurd. Again, design that hurts the user.

The sad thing is that this is exactly why I’ve uninstalled, because I know this is what Blizzard’s response is going to be.

Because you are already logged into the BattleNet launcher and you will not be prompted when you relaunch the game.

Um, okay, let me just say… I keep my password in my clipboard while I play because of this problem. For me, it’s faster if I just login again from the overwatch game itself, than if I go to the launcher, for me, on my computer.

But hey, I think there’s some bigger issues here that Blizzard should resolve through engineering things a bit differently, because even if it was a little faster, the end result is the same.

1 Like

Said another way, you could quit out of the game when it disconnects, then relaunch the game, without having to type login details.

1 Like

You’re disconnecting from the game.

Nerfing Brig will fix it /s.

Thanks for your reply GreyFalcon, but in actuality it is not faster for me, and even if it was a bit faster, it wouldn’t solve the actual problem.

You can pretend this if you wish, or you can try to prove it. Again this requires troubleshooting on your part. With the exception right now of COX customers getting screwed by their ISP, a majority of users in North America right now have no issues. This is why it is important to run several WinMTRs (it sounds like you ran one and gave up there), check your own equipment, and work with Blizzard if you truly want to solve your own issues. However, if you uninstalled and chose to give up that is your choice. Right now, you are only wasting your own time by posting in this thread if you don’t want to fix your issues.

Well, it doesn’t seem like for device uses Puma6 chipset.

But I wonder what would happen if you tried a Puma6 test.

Also, I swear when I would get disconnected, it happened more frequently when my Fiance was playing WoW, while I was on Overwatch. (Dunno if relevant at all).

Also wondering if opening up some ports would help.
Blizzard Support - Troubleshooting Firewall Configuration Issues

“You can pretend this if you wish”. Ouch. Hey, I’m trying to be friendly and respectful in a situation that is deeply frustrating, in part because Overwatch is otherwise a really great game.

I’ve replied to everyone’s questions, including yours. I work in tech for a living, but I’d be willing to try a troubleshooting step or two if asked.

Perhaps the reason I get disconnected is on my end and this is just the way the game, the SR system, etc. works. Or maybe it’s an ISP routing issue somehow, like has been said.

As you mentioned, most NA users don’t have this problem. I’d bet that most DO, but it’s intermittent / rare enough that there isn’t enough of an outcry for something to be fixed. Maybe I’m wrong.

Perhaps I am wasting my time. Oh, well. Cheers.