Disconnecting and Reconnecting only when playing the coop missions

I played a quick play match and didn’t have any issues but when I’m playing the coop missions, it seems like I disconnect twice a mission. First disconnect takes me back to the arcade mode selection screen and the second disconnect takes me back to the main menu, but in both instances it will reconnect me to the game. When I disconnect, my teammates will still animate but they just run straight forward and are stuck and then I get taken out of game.

I did some googling and took some screenshots of network graph while everything was fine and then when I disconnected, don’t know if it’s useful but I have photos.

I tried to include imgur links but it says I can’t include links in my post.

Another thing I noticed was that there was a second or two delay when I fired Symmetra’s orbs and sentries. In quick play I didn’t have this issue.

Edit: Just played some competitive games and had no issues and then played another coop mission and disconnected.

1 Like

same here not only mission but also quick game as well.

1 Like

I got exactly the same problem ! Always disconnect from coop but not other game mode.

1 Like

Same but dcs are less frequent. It’s annoying when you almost finish a mission on legend and you or your teammates randomly dc.

Howdy!

We would like to gather data on this issue only if you are disconnecting during the PVE event and not in other game modes. Make sure to first complete standard troubleshooting to help rule out unstable connection issues:

1. Power Cycle the home network’s modem and router following the steps Here.

2. Once the system is back online flush your DNS cache using the commands Here.

3. If you are playing on a wireless connection try a wired connection, help on this can be found Here.

Retest if the issue continues please try to capture this issue with a WinMTR running. Use the network graph to get the host IP and begin the test at the start of each match. Keep the test running for the whole match or 10 minutes if you disconnect. Post the results back here for review.

Please provide the model name of your modem and router you are using.

Thank you!

Here are my WinMTR results.

I use a Netgear AC1200 with a wired ethernet connection.

My modem is a Spectrum (Charter) Hitron E31N2V1 cable modem.

I was playing Storm Rising Normal and I dc’d twice during the match.

I had to modify the ip addresses in the results in order to post.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| www.routerlogin. com - 0 | 861 | 861 | 0 | 0 | 5 | 0 |

| 142.254.176. 57 - 0 | 861 | 861 | 7 | 12 | 113 | 22 |

| agg60.csmscagl01h.socal.rr. com - 0 | 861 | 861 | 8 | 12 | 30 | 22 |

| agg30.cyprcabw01r.socal.rr. com - 0 | 861 | 861 | 8 | 14 | 36 | 20 |

| agg27.lsancarc01r.socal.rr. com - 0 | 861 | 861 | 11 | 18 | 39 | 23 |

|bu-ether16.atlngamq46w-bcr00.tbone.rr. com - 0 | 861 | 861 | 10 | 18 | 41 | 21 |

|bu-ether11.tustca4200w-bcr00.tbone.rr. com - 0 | 861 | 861 | 12 | 19 | 43 | 26 |

| 0.ae3.pr1.lax10.tbone.rr. com - 0 | 861 | 861 | 10 | 17 | 79 | 20 |

| 66.109.9. 161 - 0 | 860 | 860 | 10 | 16 | 45 | 15 |

| ae1-br02-eqla1.as57976. net - 0 | 861 | 861 | 12 | 19 | 112 | 27 |

| be2-pe02-eqla1.as57976. net - 0 | 861 | 861 | 11 | 16 | 36 | 14 |

| lax-eqla1-ia-bons-03.as57976. net - 0 | 861 | 861 | 12 | 16 | 33 | 23 |

| 24.105.30. 129 - 0 | 861 | 861 | 11 | 16 | 29 | 29 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

I’m having the same issue.

Only with the Co-op event…

Other game modes are fine.

Will be playing… Randomly disconnects for 15 seconds… Let’s me back in… I’m dead or being res’d… Then somewhere minutes later the same thing will happen… Only in this game mode. Happens every time I play the event.

I’m having the exact same issue.

Only during Co-op and never during other matches. I’m also hardwired not on wifi.

Hey all,

We had reports of this issue last year due to Netgear quality of service. Let’s try a few things.

1. Ensure that your router’s firmware is completely up to date. You’ll need to look up instructions to do this online.
  2. Log into your router firewall and enable quality of service (QoS) - again, we don’t have exact information on how to do this, since each router is different, but you can look it up online for your router.
  3. Add Overwatch to the QoS application list and add these ports. For more information on this, check Grey’s post.
  4. Bypass your router entirely and wire directly into your modem. If this works, let us know.

Please also continue posting your router/modem make/models.

Edited - we’ve corrected information here with further information from this thread.

I posted the wrong model number for my router, it is the Netgear R6220.

I’m not sure what the AC1200 number is, but I am sure that it is not the model number.

I will attempt it without the QoS first as that was on and I was not aware. I have completed all the troubleshooting steps listed previously.

UPDATE: Disabling QoS did nothing. However, bypassing the router fixed the problem. At least so far.

Hopefully this is something that can be worked around. I’d love to have my WiFi and use it too. :wink:

I have Verizon Fios and my router is the Netgear R6230 which has its firmware up to date. I also don’t have QoS enabled and am still experiencing this issue only during the coop missions.

This is generally an issue we see with Netgear routers. The previous fix we’ve seen for other events like Junkenstein was to make sure QoS was enabled rather than disabled. And so if its currently disabled let’s try changing that and see if it helps. They have some info on those settings here though it may vary depending on what router you have.

I had two disconnects last night while connected directly to the modem.

They were very hard dc’s too, full disconnect from the servers.

I will try the QoS again and see if that makes a difference.

This is my issue during any PVE event on here. I have 0 issues in Quick Play, Comp, or any other arcade games. This is not the first event that this happens for me either, it has been EVERY PVE game mode that Overwatch has hosted. The issue becomes if I die it causes issues for the rest of the team, and I am truly interested in actually running and listening to the gameplay to get more of the lore.

I ended up googling and found this thread, and really hope this gets fixed. I would like to be able to enjoy the PVE events fully without disconnecting or ruining the gameplay for whatever team that I get paired with all because I keep disconnecting for no reason at all.

If there is anything I can do please let me know, because I just get frustrated and angry because I can’t play 1 mode on overwatch, especially when there is lore involved in it. It would be nice to get through the mode without disconnecting.

1 Like

Bypassing the router does seem to work, if you have a Netgear router.

You will still get an occasional disconnect but they are way less frequent.

UPDATE: Turning on and optimizing QoS does not prevent the frequent disconnects. I can play a complete match only when bypassing the router entirely. Even then, there are some disconnects happening.

Hey everyone, turning on QoS and adding Overwatch as a rule seems to have fixed my disconnects entirely. I played some of the coop missions last night and got the usual disconnects, then I quit the game and added the Overwatch rules and started playing the coop missions again and didn’t have any disconnects.

On the QoS page you have to add a new application which is a drop down menu option for me. You’re going to need to add 9 rules for Overwatch to cover all the ports. You can name them Overwatch 1, 2, 3, etc, or whatever you want. You want to set the priority to highest and for the connection type, choose TCP or UDP depending on which port you’re entering. This page has the ports listed for Overwatch. You’ll enter the same number for starting port and ending port unless the number given is a range, like 3478-3479, in which case 3478 will be the starting port and 3479 will be the ending port. Good luck to everyone who has this issue and I hope this helps.

1 Like

Okay. So far this is absolutely working, I’ve played two PvE matches and zero disconnects.

Why it took so long for me to get this information is beyond me. Almost 3 years since this started happening and I was never directed to that page of ports.

I wish there was some way I could repay you for this kindness, Grey.

1 Like