Disconnecting and loss of stats

i know this isnt an issue for most of the user base but it happens enough for me to make a thread.

so when i use the blizzard client i will dc immediately however when i use the overwatch client it will work fine untill im in a comp game litterally about to ult and it just pops up on screen saying “disconnected from server” no only am i not because i seem to get put straight back into the game as soon as i dismiss it, but i lose my ult, and my stats AND i dont gain any sr ive won about 7 consecutive games on my alt and havent even gained 100 because of this stuff.

ive tried to use the blizzard support line however it never seems to go through.

Rejoining a game without penalty is only possible during certain phases of the game and within a timely manner. If you leave a game either during the pre-game or during the first minute of the game, the game will automatically cancel (remember the 10 second rule does not apply to the leaver, but as a warning to other players that the match will cancel). You can rejoin the match during the initial hero selection screen if you are lucky enough to quickly reconnect though.

Otherwise, you can only rejoin any-time after one-minute of match time has passed up until the match completes. However you only have two minutes to do so without penalty. If you rejoin a match after two-minutes, you will still automatically be marked with a loss an be penalized with a -50 SR cut and a ten-minute suspension. This rule ensures that no one can abusive the leaver system by attempting to return to a match after deliberately leaving in order to avoid such penalties. Furthermore leaving three or more times in a single match will result in an automatic penalty. If you fail to return to a match by the time it ends normally (regardless of match result) you will be penalized.

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Remember if you see the message, “Lost Connection to the Server” in the title screen or the message “Failed to Connect to Server” in yellow text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that don’t disconnect your computer from the Internet. There is great troubleshooting to start with that can most likely resolve most issues and I encourage you to check them out here:

As always if nothing in that guide works, please post in the technical support forum saying you completed these steps and additional advice can be provided. Good luck!

Why not look at how other, better established games deals with these kind of problems? Take CS:GO for instance, seem to work pretty well with penalty after a few minutes there. Of course a match in CS:GO is much longer, so the time you have to connect before you get a penalty has to be much shorter in OW. But it seems like, even if you carry your team to a win and get a simple error and get right back into the game, you’ll still get a penalty. That’s messed up. I’ve carried games to a win and still lost 50 points, I think, if I remember correctly. If you connect within a minute or so and actually even win, why would you need to get penalized? Sounds like lazy programming to me.

And why does stats reset if you disconnect, even if it’s just for 10 seconds? Suddenly people are whining on me because they think I’m useless, because I lost my stats mid game and they think they have done more dmg, eliminations etc… even though I had four gold medals as tank when I got the crash and would definitely have had that in the end too, if it wasn’t for the reset.