Director's Take: Opening up the conversation on 5v5 and 6v6

i mean of course this is all gonna be controversial but if i had my way

ABOLISH ROLE QUEUE

the 5v5 vs 6v6 dont matter to me but role queue is what i think was the bad thing. uhh thats just my opinion tho and i like role queue too, always loved world of warcraft trinity system where you needed each role but yea… lots of PROBLEMS

1 Like

OW2 lost a lot of players in the transition. Returning 6v6, especially when the game has less hard CCs that lead to the reduction in tank players in OW1, will bring that playerbase back. Not to mention, those returning players will be willing to play 5v5 again from time to time, and vice versa for 5v5 players. I despise 5v5 and it is objectively impossible to balance out the issue of Counterwatch, I would still play it occasionally with 6v6 being my main mode instead of rarely playing the game at all.

8 Likes

Honestly respect to Aaron and the team. As much as I greatly dislike 5v5 there were a lot of solid points in here that I couldn’t help but agree with. Was scared they’d go the “You think you want it, but you actually don’t” route but this shows the team are listening… even if it took them a long time to address the elephant in the room. This is the most optimistic I’ve felt about this franchise in a hot minute, very excited to see where this goes

13 Likes

wow im a little surprised that they’re even bothering to consider it. hopefully they figure out how to balance both 5v5 and 6v6 because both modes do have diehard audiences

Aaron - thanks for taking the time to address such a complex mode and giving the community an answer.

I will be excited to try the 6v6 community part, but 5v5 game mode is fast paced, fun & strategic.

When you release the community 6v6 event it should have a balance. The game should not be extremely slow and boring.

Whatever you put for us to test, make sure it is fun & engaging. 6v6 was 8 years ago ! I dont want to go back to being held hostage by my off tank and running into counter tank comps.

Good luck !

5 Likes

my problem is that if they phone it in like they’ve done with all their other quick play hacked attempts, no one is going to like it even though it could be done well if given an actual shot. just implant Samito’s 6v6 mode as the attempt

1 Like

Tl;dr of the post if you don’t care about the dilemma.

Season 13, QPH aimed at testing 6v6.

EDIT: Season 13 QPH 5v5 format with 6v6 Pre-RQ format. 6v6 tests before that as well.

1 Like

TLDR, they will do a series of test, either a QP hacked or arcade. Nothing set in the future.

1 Like

Does he just not play OW2 or?

7 Likes

If only they did that in 2019 before carelessly implementing Role Queue :pensive:

Nope, it was the worst idea ever, just to avoid doing proper balancing after each new hero release. This is also why we went from 6v6 to 5v5 and the balancing is worse than ever before.

Again, no.

Overwatch was all about adapting your gameplay with all the available heroes. Not being able to switch roles because of a queue prior to entering the game goes pretty much against what Overwatch was all about when first created.

As long as RQ is there, the game will keep being in a poor state. But in the end, I think it’s for the best, as it will bring us closer to Blizzard working on a real sequel to Overwatch.

Playing F2P Overwatch 1 with pricey skins is anything but close to what the community expected from this once successful game (released 8 years ago).

I’m ready to turn this page and play another very different Overwatch game. This one currently has no real direction and they unfortunately keep making bad decisions just for the sake of Role Queue.

They won’t address the elephant in the room, ever.

3 Likes

I think people are misreading. The Season 13 test likely won’t be 6v6, just a new kind of less restrictive role queue. They said the optimization for 6v6 in the new engine would take ‘several seasons’ which means it won’t be ready for Season 13

12 Likes

They aren’t, though. They are just giving a lollipop to help with the shot they just gave to the 6v6 community. It’ll never be mainstream, just events to make players who want it happy.

Season 13 QPH is not aimed at 6v6 testing but rather testing an idea that is something in between open queue and role queue.

11 Likes

Thank Aaron, that was very informative. I do feel like your tweets made it sound like your blog post was going to be much more of an ultimatum. I’m glad to hear that you guys are open to looking into this.

If I may make a couple notes/suggestions:

1. If/when you do any sort of 6v6 testing, it’s absolutely imperative that you balance separately. You cannot just use the 5v5 balance in 6v6 and call it a day. I think you guys are smart enough to realize this.
  2. If things go well, please please please do not just delegate this to a single one-off mode. Please consider 6v6 and any corresponding balance changes as a replacement for today’s OQ modes. OQ has been largely neglected since OW2 launched and the super strong tanks make it so painful. You post mentioned all the balance difficulties pre-role queue… well 90% of the game modes in the game today still have this same issue but sooo much worse because of the 5v5 balancing. There’s a lot of arcade modes that I just refuse to touch anymore because of this. In fact I havent even played the game in weeks now after the latest balance patch.
4 Likes

Considering custom games can pretty easily have more than 12 players, pretty safe to say they mean balancing 6v6.

2 Likes

I think the role queue idea might be forcing 1-2-2 at game start but allowing swaps within roles after the game starts, maybe after some amount of time. Maybe more people would play tank if it was a matter of swapping mid-game

cant wait for pedro.gonzales2004 to throw on reinhardt until the timer ends then instaswap genji and do nothing

2 Likes

The entirety of OW1 wasn’t enough of testing =.=

Is this going to be the new strawman to keep people around?

7 Likes

the only thing I could imagine is to see how new players react to it

1 Like

When it feeds before being threatened, ill be the first in line to thank them but im not gonna sit here and be grateful they are bringing up a topic that was being discussed since launch and acting like it wasn’t something they have actively avoided.

Neglecting something and then acting like the good guy when you realised people are about to leave is staple in abusive relationships.

7 Likes