Directionless and sad but respects paid

Damn… Who’s everyone gonna blame, now that Papa Jefe has left the organization.

3 Likes

We all know the biggest evil is the OWL :smiling_imp:

But Aaron seems fine. We’ll see how that turns out.

Tim Ford.

Wait, what do you mean?

Jeff has left OW? When, how, what? :smiley:

1 Like
2 Likes

why do people act like jeff was some kind of steve jobs.
i think he is really overrated interms of achievement. overwatch could have been massive if it wasn’t for consistently bad decision making.

your personal opinions do not matter, OW was and is massive, look at the awards its won, it has its own professional league, your individual opinions whether the game or league is broken are irrelevant, as the game itself is successful.

2 Likes

your “successful” game has 8k viewers on twitch btw.

The biggest evil is ATVI and their MBA-based hierarchy. The game designers can’t be free to build worlds, direct a narrative, and lead an audience. They have to listen to marketing types who data science what sells, addicts, and churns. They over-rule any creative freedom for the sake of maximizing revenue.

That, and some OW2 crunch, is probably what led JK to burn out. Jumped ship along with many others. There just isn’t enough respect for “oldschool” game design and indie-like approaches to making large-scale games.

Always had respect for their team except the yes-theys who thought everything was fine with the ladder. Balance ok for normies, excellent game engine, good lore/art, etc. But the report systems and ladder rigging was straight garbage. Those people never showed up for work in 5+ years since the last reset.

2 Likes

So at this point, we either will see MORE change to OW1, or even more LESS change.

And maybe some super features of OW2 will be “phase 2” or we wait for EVEN MORE features.

Basically we get to see what Jeff was fighting for or NOT fighting for. - Its all interesting, and I wish him the best incase it was some health reasons, but will definitely shake things up which this game needs.

1 Like

Steve Jobs was a giant tool. Just as much as Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg.

Read more books and play less video games. I think that’ll solve 99% of YOUR problems.

You’re probably right. But really, he’s done more for the gaming community than you ever will. Sit down, shush up, and enjoy the breeze line express.

All nonsense aside, I spent 2 good years playing this game and am very happy for it. I love watching OWL (even if it is the same players over and over again) and honestly I’m a pretty satisfied customer.

God I can only imagine how quickly everything would have fallen to pieces if YOU were the one running the show. Fortunately, we’ll never have to experience that quagmire.

Imagine finding something we agree on…

I mean… your designs and inventions are cool. But with nobody to sell them, that’s all they are… Cool… :-1:t2:

Seems kind of like a self-control issue based on individuals.

While I wouldn’t be surprised, unless you can prove that, I’m not sure that’s 100% true.

Besides… Who’s to say YOU would even like Overwatch if the designers had made it as THEY wanted it. Tracer used to shoot lasers out of her eyes in the original concept.

I mean… Do you know something I don’t? Because literally nothing has been mentioned as to why Papa Jeffe rolled out.

Agreed…

It really is though…

Pretty solid…

Exceptional!! But just my OP.

Really? This again?

Do you work there? Do you know this for certain? Sounds like smoke and mirrors my guy.

1 Like

Just rumour mill stuff. I didn’t claim to know anything for sure. But it’s no secret the ATVI vision has become oppressive towards a lot of the creative types at Blizz. They have to use all kinds of new tools, new workflows, new global-integration pipelines, and listen to more and more MBAs tell them what to put in their games.

It’s not the same company, and the sudden departure sounds like more than just burn-out, it’s opt-out. What I’d like to know is if Jeff defended us from rigging, or stood by it. I liked him (or what we saw/know of him).

I’ve always supported every component of OW, except for the ladder/systems. Those were seldom improved, and ladder integrity became industry lagging. Backed by a company that encourages patents on rigged gaming and psychological manipulation. That’s drawing a line in the sand. You’re either OK with companies that rig, rigging, or you’re not.

1 Like

Sadly we’ll never know but I believe he wanted to fix ladder and they wouldn’t let him mess with the new account profit model.

1 Like

I have an MBA, but I can tell you new account profit model is not the way to go.