Devs, you *need* to stop smurfs, it's destroying the competitive integrity

Realistically though; How can you stop it?

Having a smurf, there’s no way in mind they could stop it. For starters, consoles are shared systems, making hardware bans nearly impossible due to families being upset that their son can’t play because his bigger brother already does.

IP bans also don’t work since VPN’s are a thing and email bans cannot enforce literally nothing, because anyone can make a new gmail account in minutes.

I understand that I might be ruining many peoples experience, but they’re usually just to get through the lower-ranks to have a secondary account in GM. Sorry D:

The actual definition of a smurf is someone who purposely keeps their rank low to abuse other lower ranked players. And a smurf keeps their rank low by throwing games sometimes.

4 Likes

Im going to be the better person here and walk away. You sound like you have a lack of respect for others in your community. VERY apparent. You also do not acknowledge other person(s) have the right to be here, except yourself and only yourself.

SMS is a really bad idea and if you think about it. Not everyone can afford to keep the latest and greatest phones or services everywhere in the U.S. and outlying countries, as well as regions.

Karma really stinks when it catches up. Please respect your community members better.

Good Day.

So long.

You’re being dramatic. Getting one text message isn’t difficult or painfully unreliable. If you not playing ranked for a day or two means implenting this system that will very likely help a lot, then that’s worth the trade.

Your job is your life-choice. You wanted this life, stop complaining about bad SMS service when it was obvious that’s what you were getting yourself into.

Mine literally cost me £40, I can get texts for free, and have only ever used top-up thrice. They’re not expensive. You don’t need an IPhone X to recieve a text.

2 Likes

ARE You still here arguing with me? - Please refer to the Blizzard Section on Rules of Conduct.

I want to advise you to seak some professional counseling.

Have a peaceful conversation here, see other’s points of views, realize that the world around you isn’t a “cookie cutter” like you say it is, and if you are not willing to be INCLUSIVE of other opinions. This isn’t the game community for you.

People don’t always make life choices “the way they are supposed to be” or what society deems them to be. The stars never, always align right away in life. We aren’t all privileged like “Some people” around here.

I am going to assume you haven’t had the same experiences, which has lead me up to the opinion I have, and I am thankful you NEVER have. I’ve seen unpleasant things.

You’re a strange one, aren’t you?

There’s nothing not-peaceful about our conversation, you raised points, I countered them. That’s literally the point of a forum, not just to be an echo-chamber for your ideas.

You’re not being attacked, you’re not being insulted. Concidering how you’ve reacted to this, I’d like to suggest that you seak some professional counseling. You seem to have doubt or dissatisfaction with your worklife, that can be unhealthy.

You assumed wrong.

All the best <3

2 Likes

I’ve posted the Blizzard Rules of conduct. You are welcome to read them. I suggest you do.

Here is their link, to forum Conduct.

Thank you for reminding my that I’m consitently following the CoC, much appreciated

1 Like

uh… its like ~14 hours but okay

1 Like

Please explain to me how I have an advantage in Diamond when I main a hero I can’t play in Master.

1 Like

I made a post talking about a popular Overwatch streamer doing a bronze to GM series. It was flagged, as their fanboys flagged it as inappropriate, and Blizzard responded by deleting my post and not punishing that streamer. That Streamer continued to do their bronze to GM series.

Blizzard is full of BS.

3 Likes

Because you are able to switch to the better hero, that’s a choice that others don’t have.

If you’re using comp as a “I can’t play this hero, I’m going to use comp to learn it”, then you aren’t taking comp competitively and are soft throwing.

It’s bad on both reasons.

1 Like
 greetings~~~ dumb ppl ^^ im hella bored queing / champion selecting on LoL :D or I have came to enlighten you on the matter of smurfing!!!
 first! yall are dumb not knowing the obvious reason why blizzard won't ban smurfs. There are no new players ofc blizzard doesn't want community to get any smaller. tsk tsk all the dumb ppl. 
 hello~ been GM for 12 seasons and season 1 player who enjoyed playing **'planet of apes'** comp (aka 6 winston) the good ol times.  https://gyazo.com/25c02f52f2b65f324fddf8b88b3841c4
 Anyways i only have 1 account that's **'only a gold border'** since mathematically speaking all the smurfs play this game every day which should add up to 10k+ hours. I only play 7~20 hrs each season since season 14 <- smurfs started to ruin the game community ever since :slight_smile: ( brain dead ppl say "gold borders should be good at the game" when i only play 7 hours each season. Wish blizzard add accomplishment feature that shows what lv I was when I was GM all the way back when I was bronze border but cant prove it >:(. Also, there used to be xp events to encourage loot box farming :D tho blizzard feels guilty of high level accounts being criticized so they won't do xp events anymore TuT it's yall fault that I cant have a easy way to bling bling diamond border. **(I am actually raging cause I will never be able to hit diamond border with my busy schedule)**. 

Kaplan also being brain dead and adding ridiculous patches to encourage ^^ 

"hidden profile" - teammate won’t blame losing to accounts with unrealistic kda/wr/accuracry/etc. since it’s obvious smurf is on the other team :D… btw even in the past, GM and top500 skill difference was like human SC player vs SC AI from KAIST. But now plat~master players (who also had incomparable skill difference to GM players) against top500 smurfs tsk tsk.
"group green border removal" - easy to spot accounts being boosted. I guess he took it out since people who bash the person who is just playing with friends o _ o poor thing :frowning: ppl can’t chill losing the game sadly ^^
"role que" - whenever there was smurf dps on other team, smurf on the team would say “let me go dps” and I would let them but now if there is smurf dps on other team it’s pretty much my fault :frowning: I also used to play aim champs with 70%+ accuracy when I did my 1 hour aim warm ups every day but now i get 40% accuracy :smiley: the young days of Sudden Attack days with 80%+ sniper accuracy is over I am too old now TuT. btw

Let me sum up :D i hope everyone comments on me since I used forum only twice (this being my second time) despite being season 1 player, so ill send my replies far in the future ^-^ wait for my replies okay??? <3

All the kids who say smurfing is okay? I think it's fine . _ . it's not smurfs fault but the game because 

1. community so tiny (like many players pp) - it’s only problem because almost all the games would have smurfs.
2. playing with friends is fine . _ . - bout 90& of my friends are gold ~ plat hardstucks while being silver/gold borders. Luckily, my skill is also plat ~ diamond now since I don’t play the game to climb >< still it’s funny when we group que as 4 ~ 5 when some friends can’t play games, random in the team would say “dps difference” LOL ofc me and all my friends are silver/gold borders and other team also group que (if you dont have friends and dun know let me inform you that groups get matched with groups .. I am sorry if you are friendless)
3. teammates complaining / smurfs on other team being toxic <-why? - uhm… problem here are salty teammate who rage from losing games <-why? just a game . _ . and smurfs on other team being toxic which I do too so i dont get offended but let me tell you my friends take them seriously. VERY UNFORTUNATE, my friends would rq when we lose games because they think it’s their fault >:( yall gotta be humble and not hurt my friend’s feelings. Yes, I love saying “EZ” or “uninstall” <- korean meme which is “삭제해라 애송이”. Yes I love tea bagging players too <- blizzard bans tea bagging ._ . uhm… but not anymore. You’d be surprised to know how diligent blizzard used to ban players on live games xD

OH forgot to mention. Many brain dead kids comments “you are learning” zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz they are what a clowns xD you don’t learn while dying zzzzzzz I actually wonder what’s in there brain ecks dee. I never play qp. I learned all heroes on ranked which ppl hate but on the days without smurfs I still won most of my games since like srsly… OW hero mechanics are kindergarden education . _. what’s so hard to learn how to play heroes that doesn’t even require aim??? only heroes you need practice before playing on comp are heroes like genji, tracer, widow, cree, hanzo to climb. Even sloppy players were able to climb to GM because game used to require knowing how to play with the team and counter picking not how to be a hyper carry xD ppl never learn playing against smurfs like use your tine brain prob not capable. ppl learn playing against their own level. <-nope they learn if they

Not quite 100, but once the MM decides it knows where you’re supposed to be, it takes a LOT of work to convince it otherwise.

1 Like

Im on PC and its a real problem, i dont know where you heard that, I´m lvl 600 and every single match I have to face a smurf, and sometimes even 2 or 4.

2 Likes

Mobile authentication and IP bans are both still able to get around with disposable numbers or VPNS. Personally, I think they just need to increase the minimum level to join Competitive. 25 is way too low.

If a player is ACTUALLY new to the game, they shouldn’t be joining competitive after only 25 levels. You still don’t know how to play more than 1 character, let alone the game as a whole.

But most of the new accounts are NOT new players. Increase the level minimum to 100 and suddenly smurfing isn’t just a waste of money, but a waste of their time and effort, which is far more valuable to those people.

3 Likes

Why are people so obsessed with finding the one perfect solution that will solve all our problems. Damage mitigation is the best path forward; Yes, those can be bypassed, but more hurdles means fewer people doing it. Just shrugging isn’t going to help, but making more hoops to jump through will.

Completely agree. I think the best way forward would be to do something like;

500 for a base account
300 with mobile authentication or Bank-card link
100 with both mobile auth and bank-card.

Competative integrity was lost about 12 months after release when smurfs/alt accounts are allowed in competative.
The cats out, you cant stuff it back in

2 Likes

What a coinkydink, I said the exact same thing!