Devs comment on QP?

The irony with that being that people end up putting stress that they want too avoid onto others who just want too have a laugh in quickplay.

one could argue “why not just go to arcade?”, well the modes are different there. A lot of people tend too like playing quickplay because its straight forward its not obnoxious like mystery heroes or total mayhem. Hell even in arcade people are stressing and raging at people.

People are allowed too have a laugh and still try too win guys. You dont need a good comp exclusively in quickplay too win. I have had matches where we were 6 DPS and stomped the entire enemy team who had a good comp. Really its an illusion in quickplay because not everyone is trying their hardest due too it just being EXP and not comp points or SR. Which is why so many people want too just chill there and have fun.

I am a widow main. I get raged at every time I pick her yes even in quickplay. Either because someone else wanted her or because they think they’re going too lose “urgh widow we’re not gonna win, screw this”. Yet I win most of my matches when I play widow.

1 Like

It seems the main issue is that players just want a place they can “conveniently” and “properly” train (while soloing).

1 Like

I wish I could find those sorta games.

90% of my QP games (I really wish that was a made up %, but its not and 1 full day of video recording all my matches would prove it instantly) are Honzo and Widow on my team and first 2 picks.

At that point I consider the game over and have no desire to play the round, but I’m punished for leaving…so I have no choice but to basically just run off the map or at the enemy team spamming hello while watching TV until the match ends.

If you could maybe, just maybe give me a set of teammates willing to play TANK slightly more than 10% of the time? Without 2 tanks, there is no reason to play support, and without tanks and support, there is no reason to play at all.

And others just want a standard rules/no rules mode where they can just hang out while still gaining exp. Just look back at the game browser before exploiters ruined it for everyone with the afk lobbies.

I couldn’t agree more. QP is a great place to learn good behaviors that you can take into comp. But lets take a quick example:

Say you want to practice bastion and you’re defending on Route 66. The correct place to set up is generally on the roof of “Big Earl’s” gas station, so you can have the high ground and fire on enemies right as they turn the corner.

Now, if you have no tanks in front of you, you’re going to get killed instantly and won’t be able to contribute at all! You haven’t been able to practice -actual- good habits to take to comp, because those habits are dependent on a team composition that doesn’t exist when you have toxic players in QP that don’t want to play the game mode.

Every player makes choices in the game and it effects the ability of other players to practice / play. What’s worse is the toxic player isn’t even getting any good practice themselves! If there were 2-3 dps already, and someone wanted to practice Bastion and so just picked Bastion and set up somewhere, not only are their team mates unable to practice (because there is no healer or tank line ) but the Bastion themselves aren’t able to practice because their team is just a bunch of dps!

That is why the behavior is considered toxic / griefing, because it ruins the game for everyone. QP is not a free pass to ruin the game for other players, and that’s what the quote I linked did a great job pointing out.

1 Like

Can’t be selfish in a team game, simple as that. If you want to be selfish, play deathmatch, i’m pretty sure that’s the purpose of adding that mode.

You can’t practice, or actually properly try out your new hero if you’re getting stomped.

inb4: play in a 6 stack then. <- In the perfect world, i’d have a 6-stack forever and like most of the players out there now we have jobs and responsibilities as adults. In a perfect world, we’d have no adult responsibilities such as jobs and families. lol

1 Like

I agree that practice and garnering of habbits is important but I dont think this should be done in quickplay.

We need an unranked competitive mode for this otherwise its just going too continue making QP toxic.

3 Likes

I see this suggestion a lot, but it always raises the question: In what way would an unranked competitive mode differ from Quick Play?

Quick Play is already:

• the exact same maps as comp
  • the exact same objectives
  • the exact same spawn locations / mechanics / hero picks
  • the exact same round structure (save for swapping attack/defense officially for a “match”)

The only real difference IS the tracking of your rank… So in essence, isn’t QP already exactly what you’re looking for?

1 Like

It would be a place too practice for people who want too take things seriously and reiterate stratergies and positions that they wish too use in ranked.

Quickplay would be a place where people can chill have a laugh and just generally have fun with the standard mode and unranked would still be a competitive environment just without nearly as much stress as ranked has at the moment. Allowing them too practice.

Think of it something akin too ESLs Versus system where you can pug matches out on client but in a competitive environment.

2 Likes

Unranked might be the go-to solution. I never really played during off-season though, so I don’t know what the general atmosphere would be like.

Genius idea: Unranked with comp rules, but every game nets you a flat amount of comp points regardless of win or loss, like say a flat 5 points just for playing. Then the devs could look into adding more rewards for the points and players won’t feel so forced to play comp to get the gold weapons that they want.

2 Likes

Unranked with comp rules is exactly what I was getting at :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course playing Anchor-Tank or Main-Healer is not the FIX. At least with this you have a small chance of your team ! to avoid 5 DPS stuff haha

But what about the flat 5 comp points per game? Would you call that fair?

Sure thats fair tbh everyone gets something out of it regardless.

I think ultimately what matters though is that people would have an environment too practice in without it being detrimental too others who just want too relax.

The addition of a small amount of comp points per match is a nice addition either way :slight_smile:

Unranked comp mode is the only way this social issue will be fixed because the other fix relies on making other people chill out or try harder which will not satisfy anyone and is virtually impossible anyway due to not being able too control people.

1 Like

That just sounds like a social agreement, though? Like, -mechanically- as reinforced by the game. How would that be any different from what QP currently is?

I’v never tried playing during off season, which is what unranked would basically be, but i have seen the mountain of posts every time it comes up of how terrible it is becasue no one takes it seriously.

1 Like

Just the challenging part would be dealing with the usual trolls and griefers. But I have come to accept that it doesn’t matter what the mode or game is, there will always be trolls and griefers, just as there will always be someone in your life that you just can’t get along with.

I suppose you’ve got me there. Realistically it wouldnt be, but people would still go too unranked because they know others will want to do the same and it will bassically have a cause and effect scenario.

Would you not choose yourself to go to an unranked comp mode too practice if you had the choice between quickplay and unranked?

People do this with ESLs versus system where they can pug CS or BF or whatever they wish, while versus does have benefits from winning and negatives from losing, people would rather play in a competitive enviroment too practice with competitive rules rather than scriming in a lobby where anything can happen.

The issue is that there isn’t an additional mode to separate out the people that want to practice and the people that want a more serious match without all the baggage that comes with Comp.

Right now you have a mixture of both groups and it just causes friction between the two. It’s become a back and forth between “It’s just QP if you want to be serious go play Comp” and “Just because it’s QP doesn’t mean you don’t take it somewhat seriously if you want to practice play Arcade.”

At least with an additional mode each side can point each other to their respective modes.

I’m not going to pretend adding another mode would fix everything and all would be perfect but I think once the dust settles you would have an overall happier playerbase.

2 Likes

Are we seriously suggesting there should be a mode between QP and Comp? This is just silly.