Deflect's hitbox is finally getting fixed / Variann's Post was not in Vain

After 2 years of OW, they are finally working on a fix to one of the most BS abilities in the game, Genji’s deflect. Variann’s thread with 1700+ upvotes and 40+ clips of proof was not in vain. We did it boys! Better late than never.

7 Likes

I’m glad they finally responded again after so long, it’ll be exciting to see how it turns out around the 2nd anniversary!
And thanks for crediting me even though Jeff responded on a completely different thread :stuck_out_tongue: (notsaltyatallipromise)

10 Likes

Dude, they should have put SOMETHING on your post. I mean, 1700 upvotes? Hello?

That thread was revolutionary.

3 Likes

Thx variann.

You start this movement and we will finally get the fix.

=)

Dash hitbox is the next? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Another 2 years, but yea probably.

1 Like

Whenever I’m deflecting as Genji. I feel so powerful. Please don’t remove it from the game, it’s literally the only way to counter widow.

Honestly I never understood why it was so big to begin with. It’s a defensive ability at heart, so nerfing the hitbox wouldn’t matter, because it would still be big enough to protect Genji, the main purpose of the ability.

2 Likes

You can still easily deflect Widow if she is dumb enough to shoot into it, she just has to actually aim at you now.

You haven’t been in bronze have you?

I was for 2 seasons. Listen, relying on a ability to counter a bullet is not viable. And I said before, don’t use deflect to kill most of the time. The purpose of the ability is to protect Genji himself.

It’s not getting removed.
It’s getting reduced and it’ll be easier to see to the enemy.

1 Like

Genji, at his core, is an offensive hero and thus all of his abilities can be used offensively.

Oh, thank god. I was really scared.

Can, sure. But if you depend on your deflect to kill someone, you’re not going to succeed.

You thought it was getting removed?

I don’t think they reducing the area of the deflect much but rather changing the visual effect to represent the actual area of the ability.

I guess the goal is to reduce frustration when what you expect to happen doesn’t line up with the game’s reality. For example, if you shoot the corner of Reinhardt’s shield you don’t get mad that it blocked your attack because you know the shield was there. However, no one ever stops to question, should that shield be that big? Well imagine if Genji’s deflect was nearly the size of Rein’s shield (as some have claimed to be) but this time you can see the exact area it blocks, then would anyone question the deflect and ask if it should be that big or is it balanced?

Jeff probably saw the thread and went “Too long didn’t read lol” and found a different one floating around. Or what I suspect is that whenever they want to announce something they peek the front page and go to the first thing that’s relevant

Appreciate it!
I’ve been thinking about compiling ALL bad hitboxes into a single thread/video series but it sounds like a lot of work so might take a while before i get to it

2 Likes

For the sake of sanity, I will reply to both replies in this same post.

Can, sure. But if you depend on your deflect to kill someone, you’re not going to succeed.

How come I get a kill 90% of the time on widows and ulting mcrees that way?

You thought it was getting removed?

Latest Overwatch developers update really scared me. He didn’t mention Genji so I began to think he was getting forgotten.

They’re doing both: “Updating the hitbox” (ie, reducing it or changing it’s shape) and the visual effects for it.

Don’t like saying this, but probably because you’re ELO isn’t that high.

Why would he mention him if he’s not getting changed in any significant manner?