Defense Matrix activated! Fortifying gameplay integrity and positivity in Overwatch 2

Better than nothing i guess? Tho not as worth it if you dont buy it then i guess.

1 Like

They said that they will have a section of limited modes. Maybe for the first 20 games you are only able to play QP or so. But Mystery Heroes could also be a thing because there you learn a lot of things.

But they also play just vs new players. Its a start in OW and I think after 100 games you should have a basic understanding.

They already did this with private profiles, because the community couldn’t control itself, and assigned blame to everyone around them. It’s practically the OW motto.

I think it’s a necessary change and will bring more benefits to player experience than disadvantages.

3 Likes

I think the only thing I disagree with is removing the endorsement of an enemy player. Sometimes they really deserve a thumbs up for a great play or great sportsmanship.
But brand new players having to work their way up without being thrown in with the veterans is a great idea.

9 Likes

Great announcements. But of course it will have to be practice to show if it’s just a broken promise or a serious commitment. And obviously calculate the abuses of the system, once analyzed.

But I must say that at least, contrary to the usual historical Blizzard speeches in Ow and other games, perhaps this is the first time I’ve seen a detailed report on what plans you have against cheating. I don’t think I remember such a long mention, not even for the very bad Real ID from years ago. I’ve always said that Blizzard should have focused on having the Game Award for community support (the last one was FF14 if I remember correctly), I don’t know if this is the final goal.

Very happy to see some real details on comp mode as well. I fully agree with the new requirement. The mandatory cell phone system is a bit controversial. it’s understandable what the goal on player identity is, but I also know that Blizzard servers often have DOS attacks. In this sense, I would like this promise to extend to this type of security as well, not just that of the in-game account.

I dont’ know how much is automated, but:

Overwatch’s internal task force consists of a diverse set of roles from teams across Blizzard. This includes Engineers, Designers, Producers, Researchers, Data Scientists, Security Analysts, just to name a few. Fair and positive play reaches every group within our task force, and they all had a part in bringing Defense Matrix together.

1 Like

I was genuinely excited for ow2, but paying $15 a month for the cheapest available monthly plan that i neither want nor need is out of the question for a “free to play” game

this is an insanely idiotic decision unless they just forgot to mention that they will treat non-na prepaid numbers differently for some reason

17 Likes

I know that mass reporting is a problem I never said it wasnt.

and I know you just didnt pull up a video as old as OW as evidence LMAO

You’ve already shown you don’t care about gameplay integrity by paywalling heroes lmao.

35 Likes

Right, forgot the only select modes available part. I’d expect vs AI, Unranked and maybe No Limits or Mystery Heroes tbh.

Guess I’d need to convince friend to soloqueue on top of potentially playing 100 matches to get access to a hero they might like. Oof.

I get what Blizz is trying to do here, but my most fun time in DBD were the chaotic first matches where my couple dozen+ hour friends were teaching me the game while we played together.

This is nothing new. We knew that portrait frames based on levels would be going away in OW2. A lot of us have been asking for this to happen for years now.

So how would I activate my 2 kids accounts that don’t have a phone? So I can’t play with them anymore?

19 Likes

as much as i dont want new players in my games, their new policy for them seems a bit offputting i would say, i thought they wanted more people playing lol

3 Likes

Amazing news. So excited to read this. The First time user experience is an incredible idea. Sometimes I tried to play a game that has been released years ago, but the huge amount of characters and features overwhelmed me and I ended up closing the game and I haven’t played it again. Giving the content little by little is a very good idea.

4 Likes

Okay, now buff defense matrix

4 Likes

Dont need to. They stated that if you play in a group you dont have restrictions if your mate is done with it.

Making it so Endorsement levels give you Battle Pass experience is awful. I only play this game with friends of mine and friends cant endorse each other. So they’re encouraging solo queue for extra rewards? Awful. In my experience, this game is not fun when I’m by myself.

5 Likes

The same every other system does.

Perfectly fine.

in most countries there is no way to tell the difference between “pre-paid” and contract

I can go to my local vodafone shop and pick up 50 SIMs for free, each with a unique phone number that will receive SMS without any money being loaded at all

You know when Blizzard brags about those “XX million active monthly accounts”. How many of those do y’all think are individual players? That number is going to deflate so hard without smurfs. People are going to be shocked to find out just how few individual people still play OW.

2 Likes

They stated previously that grouping with friends will offer you extra battlepass progress. 20% extra experience, if I recall.

I imagine having a high endorsement is less beneficial than a 20% boost.