Dear Devs, inactivity MMR feedback

Dear Developers,

Please consider some kind of MMR reset, inactivity related or whatever. There is no way i am on the same rating since when i stopped playing almost 1 year ago. I was active player back in the time and played on a daily basis. Now when i returned for a few games i was placed on the same rating as before. This is a joke and proves me again that your matchmaking system is not skill based. It is impossible that i have same skill as before 1 year when i played a lot OW, in addition i did not touch FPS game during that time, my reflections are 10 times slower than before. I must be placed on lower rating right?

This is clear example of how bad OW matchmaking system works, it was bad before and that is the reason i stopped playing this game. Now i deleted the game again and continue watching patch notes hoping for a change. My friends think the same way, that is the reason they also stopped playing. Forum is full with this kind of posts, why don`t you do something about it? Where is the right place to post this kind of feedback?

Best Regards.

6 Likes

This is the right place to put feedback, yes.

Though an MMR reset could cause issues, since the system is made to reflect your skill overtime. Doing resets could result in more players getting into places where they don’t belong instead of the small % that you are.

We could do something along the lines of placing players who really are bad in a lower ranking after the system detects it.
Though that could just put people in bad days in lower rankings and make smurfing easier.

Best you can do is to try your best in comp honestly, there really isn’t anything that can be done without ruining the integrity of the competitive ladder. At least, as far i’m aware of it.

1 Like

To add to this…Apparently people don’t get better between seasons because if I go 3-2 or 4-1 to start the next competitive season, I am ALWAYS put back into this AWFUL rank of 1500 and below. There needs to be a way to increase your rank and get out of HELL Bronze.

Grouping up and climbing.

2 Likes

You are thinking of SR, not MMR. MMR is a handicapping system, and it is wrong for competitive play:

2 Likes

Yes, i am actually talking about SR, i don`t really care about MMR, coz i can see only SR and i think that should represent your skill in this game, also that should queue you with same skill persons in random queue.

When you’ve been inactive for a long period of time your MMR will swing wildly after you finish a match. After about 10 games you should be placed in a fairly decent area that represents your active skill level and your SR will move in that direction. After that you’ll settle into a win/loss cycle. Welcome back.

Developers do not read or respond to players in the competitive forum. The only place that the developers actively watch is the General forum and only sometimes respond to player feedback.

The only thing you’re likely to get here is a forum suspension.

1 Like

Well that’s just assuming.

Now i can actually assume you are not the person who you used to be and that someone took over your account.

Based on all past Developer posts to the competitive form we have exactly… 14. Those 14 can be broken down into 4 categories.

Hero feedback - 1
Announcement  - 8
Bugs          - 3
General       - 2

As you can see the majority of which are announcement related. The last post was made in June of 2020, close to a year ago. The post history in its entirety goes back to 2018, even before that I don’t recall much happening on the old forum either. One every now and then mostly focused on announcements.

Even posts that directly effect competitive have been posted on the general forum and not even cross posted to the competitive forum. Blizzard customer service do go through posts from time to time but they will never interact with us.

As I said - the most you’ll get out of the competitive forum is a suspension.

That’s quite an interesting theory you have there.

1 Like

Surely Blizzard should know this about you. It’s ridiculous they couldn’t predict this!

I really dont understand why you go straight to comp after you didnt play a year. If you would play some QP games before, your skill would be most likely back. Its not like you forgot how to play your heroes.

2 Likes

I agree with you. Why do you think MMR exists, and what do you think it does?

1 Like

I smell a perfect opportunity to link your two year old post!

1 Like

My post is 3 or 4 years old, I made it the same year that competitive play was introduced.

It is nearly 3 years old. But the first season of competitive started started June 28, 2016. Your post was made in May 2018, during season 10.

2 Likes

Wrong, the first post from me on this subject was in the first year of “competitive play.” I made it in the previous forum which was on Blizzard’s Battlenet website. They moved Overwatch’s forums to this website in 2018. My post is about 4 years old.

1 Like

Ummm you don’t work for Blizzard although you White Knight hard for OW. Please stop giving a false sense of identity when posting using “we” like you are speaking on behalf of Blizzard.

1 Like

Jeez instead of y’know discussing you go on and complain about my writing style?

You’re practically assuming how i use it, i could do that for pretty much anything you’re saying but i don’t. You know why? Because i don’t care how you adress who and whatever, i care about the actual suggestions.

1 Like

Of course they should know about my skills, that is what Queue system algorithm should do. If they do not understand my skills level, what is the reason of this system at all ?

When i returned back i go straight in comp just to test this system, that is the reason why i deleted this game 1 year ago. Now when i tested and the system is still working the same way i want to give this feedback to the devs.

The main issue is that if i continue to play pushing in comp i will be matched with same guys as me “returning noobs”, without any skills, this will affect directly my games as i am usually queuing with randoms. I do not want this kind of returning players in my games, like they do not want me to be there when i am returning and i am not on that rating level anymore. The work of MMR system algorithm in the backend is what should make this matchmaking decision and i am sure when they designed it back in the time, this kind of inactivity issue never popped in the list, simply because game were still fresh and there were no that kind of “returning” players.

Given that you haven’t played in a year, exactly how should they interpret your skill level? Surely you’re rusty, but is it reasonable to expect they can adjust your skill rating accurately without any data for a year? Different players will have different skill level decreases after a year of inactivity. I have taken a 6+ month break, but my skill level barely changed. Should they know that your skill went down significantly more?

But you are one of them.

This could be part of your problem.