Mercy is a classical case of Sunk Cost Fallacy

Seriously Blizzard.

Just because you keep putting a bandaid on a deep wound, does not mean it will heal. It’ll just keep on festering.
You commit to this for no logical reason whatsoever. And it shows. It is horribly obvious for anyone who can look at this objectively. But you don’t. You’re committed to this because of some kind of emotional or financial investment you put into it. And it’s wrong. Wrong on so many levels that it is inconceivable to all observers of sound mind.

For us, as players, whether we like Mercy or hate her:
There is one thing most of us agree on, and that is that this rework has been a total disaster. Period. You should not direct your frustration at your fellow players. The root cause lies with Blizzard.

People did not like the removal of mass-rez.
People did not like how OP Valk was.
People do not appreciate how resurrect is a basic ability now.
Others again have a combination of some or all of the above.
Yet all of these are caused by that same rework. It directly or indirectly angered and frustrated not just a half of the community like you’d expect, but literally EVERYONE who plays this game. Everyone who voices their opinion has something to say about it, and most of it, if not everything, is negative.

There’s different approaches to fixing it. And this is where players can and will disagree with one another… but they all are with the same motivation: the rework was a failure.

This recent little bandaid “fix” will once again likely not solve anything. She will still be played more than other supports and be complained about because of that. She will still gather complaints from people who are now saying “yesss another nerf yay” in less than a week after this goes live. Just like the past several nerfs.
Stop trying to make it work when for the past 9 months, it has been proven to NOT WORK AT ALL. Your approach is flawed and it boggles my mind that you do not see it. Or maybe you do see it but refuse to do something about it. It’s dumb and stupid either way.

Meanwhile your reasons for the rework were fallacious AF to begin with. Which people have been saying from the moment you announced it. They broke down your core arguments from all angles and you did the dumb thing and ignored that.

I used to be quite active in alpha development of a certain non-blizzard game. As players, we could shape how the game was developed. That game is still being played, and quite balanced, even after 15 years now.
But an important rule of the developers was this: If the motivation behind a feature suggestion or change was flawed in any way, then the whole idea should go into the bin and you need to start over again. They took no prisoners. People were banned from the alpha testing if they proposed ideas that were clearly fallacious.

So ignoring how the community broke down your motivation behind the rework, was just unprofessional and destructive for this game.

Plenty of people, and that includes a LOT of Mercy players, HAVE said that the rework was overpowered at the time (despite your own hero being OPAF being a “good thing”, right? It’s not. I play Mercy and want Mercy to be a normal hero. Not a must-pick, not a throw-pick.)
Did you listen? No. And so we went down this path. Every time you say “it’s fine, this is fine, we’re certain she is balanced now”, before you announce another nerf. It gets tiring, and it is a PR nightmare you caused for yourself only because of stubbornness.

There are literally thousands of suggestions and opinions in your megathreads to partially revert mercy and make rez back into a balanced ultimate in many different ways. There are thousands of suggestions to keep the current mercy but fix her problems otherwise, also in many different ways.
Plenty of which were also posted by people who can look at this objectively and have no bias except for their desire to make this game fun. You refuse you listen or engage in the discussion, so most players just called the megathreads the “place where good mercy ideas go to die”. If this last bandaid “fix” is your solution to the issue, then it is even more obvious that you are lying through your damned teeth if you’re saying that you’re listening and reading through those replies.

It is tiring. I’m tired. We are all tired of this.
Just give up trying to salvage this mess, please. Try a different approach for once, because this is embarassing for you, and frustrating for the community. And it has been for the past 9 months. Time you fixed that.

232 Likes

I sense a controversial thread in bound!

but I agree with you

20 Likes

Oh they know, trust me, they just don’t care, what people need to understand is, is that balance is not the intention.

26 Likes

I know not everyone on the balance team can be this blind and deaf, and that really frustrates me. Whatever reasonable people exist internally are shut down just as much as we are. This really can’t continue. Things will break at some point the longer they draw this out.

32 Likes

Truth. Right here.

“20 characters, have a cookie”

11 Likes

Maybe now that they now know how resource intensive a rework on Mercy is, they don’t want to do it all over again?

1 Like

Well they have perfectly good code from January of 2017 still laying around, I’m sure

36 Likes

Except there’s no Season3 Ana to balance it against, and they don’t want to dumpster Valkryie.

But there is Moira and Brigitte to balance her against.

5 Likes

Ok, seriously people, you all need to read this CAREFULLY, remove the PR BS From it that is disguiseing the true meaning of the post and understand what it ACTUALLY meant:

Mercy is INTENDED to be able to consistently pump out more healing than any other healer over the course of a match. While this is currently true, the difference in healing is so significant that it makes it very difficult for other healers to compete with her for a spot on a team. Reducing her healing output will close this gap a little, but she will still maintain her status as the GO-TO PICK for raw healing power. We’ll keep an eye on her to make sure she is still a STRONG PICK.

2 Likes

Implying that Moira is on the power level of a Season3 Ana.

I mean it basically says “Mercy is too strong, so we nerfed her, that way other healers won’t get accused of throwing if they don’t pick Mercy”.

I’m just saying that we have two more support options than we did back in seasons 1-3. I’m also not asking for Mercy with invulnerability during mass rez, I’m wanting them to go way back to fix this issue.

4 Likes

No, it is INTENDED, that she outshines other healers, this is just to Close the gap but she will still be a GO TO pick.

1 Like

I disagree. She is far more active and interesting to play as or against. And no way is she op with a 1.75 second selfstun.

5 Likes

I second this. I cannot stand when entitled Mercy mains try to speak for everyone when they have no idea.

6 Likes

Well no doubt Mercy will still be the go-to healer for Bronze-to-Gold.

But I think Plat-to-GM is going to see a big shakeup.

1 Like

Lol, no.

Btw I’m masters not gold, profile is a irrelevant one, I play on the PlayStation.

1 Like

I’m gold because work is stressful and I don’t feel like putting in the time to get back into diamond.

1 Like

Oh you were talking about yourself, oh ok, that’s fine.

1 Like