D. Va, trying to figure her out

I started playing her. I’ve basically been playing her like an offtank/support. What I mean by that is, I use her to batter down shields, ferret or Sombra and Defense Matrix my main tank or cover my Bastion. Occasionally I dive the supports… But what else should I be doing with her?

Don’t bother learning her until they buff her. Guaranteed they will change her a lot and you’ll end up with wasted muscle memory like Hanzo, widow, zen players.

But on a serious note you’ll always want a buddy with you, preferably Winston or Hammond. People always say to avoid every other tank besides dive ones but Rein and Sigma do quite well with her.

Edit: read the middle part wrong, just repeated what you typed lol

6 Likes

Yeah, I like her enough with the most recent buffs to even use her.

Kinda hard to type in one reply but:

Look to control highground.
Peel with d matrix.
Punish ppl out of position with ur superior mobility.
Eat impactful ults.
Bombtage.

2 Likes

I see many good bombs when combined with tanks ults.

Guard the high ground, either taking and holding it when safe to do so, or just raiding it to keep high-ground enemy DPS (and Baptistes) off-balance (assassinating them if possible). Be careful not to drive straight at them with no D.M. if they are aware of you or your giant critbox will mean you blow up before you’re halfway there. Even with D.M., without active healer support that may happen anyway. It’s better to catch them unawares or use more creative pathing than a straight line.

Murder flankers. D.Va is decent at destroying squishies if you save missiles until point blank range. If anyone comes for your backline, delete them.

When front line with your main tank, prioritize eating important cooldowns - fire strike, dynamite, anti-nade, (a portion of) pharah ult, reaper ult, bastion ult… ideally, Mei and Hanzo ults too, if they let you (impossible after they deploy, you
have to get the initiating projectile before the ult effect starts).

If one of your squishies is going to ult you can prevent it from being a suicide button. Justice can indeed rain from above, as long as it’s no more than 20 meters above, and McCree can finally live to see the afternoon.

D.M. can also just generally extend the life of a main tank shield, but that’s not ideal and you may regret using the cooldown or the charge meter if you do that. May be worth it in particularly spammed chokes though.

She can dive the backline, but seldom should do so alone. With another dive tank, help murder their targets then cover them with D.M. so they can get out before you boost out. With a DPS, your D.M. can let e.g. a genji or reaper survive to get maximum value.

She has a lot of things she can do, it’s just that in her current state she’s not that good at doing them.

Oh, yeah. Grav-bomb, shatter-bomb, hack-bomb vs. single shield, EMP-bomb vs. double shield. Also driving the bomb into the room they all ran into when they get zoned out by any zoning ult (depending on whether the shield is with them), or just sending the bomb to the other side of the shield with a zoning ult. High noon or nuclear bomb, your choice which one to block Reinhardt!

Right now D.Va is extremely weak, only used well with super coordinated comps but she always eaten alive by anyone elses damage.

Well, I think we’re due for a big tank shakeup soon.

With either Dive or AlmostGOATs being the next meta.

When was this?

Imo I feel like hey should limit 1 barrier tank per game and buff the hell out of them.

1. A lot of people will tell you to not play her at all, but you LIKE her, so give her a shot!
  2. Use boosters more or less on CD. There’s ALWAYS a better place you can be, especially in dive comp.
  3. If you’re getting hit and need to take less damage, turn away: they can only hit your critbox from the front of your mech
  4. Learn DM usage, and DM important things. A soldier shot? Not too imporant? A firestrike? That’s 100 dmg per person and good ult charge for the rein, eat ALL of those.
  5. Learn good bomb angles: it’s one of the best parts of playing Dva. If you mess up a bomb, no one cares. If you get a fat bomb, everyone loves you. Learn to throw it so it explodes just in the air, above enemy shields like Orisa’s.
  6. Get the golden gun and all the skins! THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP.
1 Like

Last Thursday.

Big mega interview on Reddit

July 30th Overwatch Reddit AMA - All developer responses here!

1 Like