Custom Revert to Lucioball changes

I made an attempt to use workshop to fix Blizzard’s mistakes. I was able to simulate a revert of many of the recent major Lucioball changes. I kept it close to last year’s (or early this year’s) revision/version, hopefully it feels better to everyone who has played Lucioball for a while. I realize there are alternative on the forums, but here is mine.

“Welker’s OG Lucioball”
Import Code: X4DCV

Alternative/improvement:

Workshop changes to replicate/revert OG Lucioball:

1. Reverted the jump pad changes on all OG maps. You no longer fly half court on one bounce. This was tedious, but immediately noticeable. This isn’t exact science, but best estimate from trial and error with existing video references.
  2. Disallow “Lunge” ability. This makes so that you are punished for jumping when you shouldn’t have aka skill-based jumps. The ability will show as enabled, but pressing Crouch will not activate the ability. Can still crouch around the map as normal.
  3. Increased ability cooldowns. This puts the skill back into the game. Speed boost shouldn’t be that often and boops should be a precious commodity. This also makes Ults useful again (even though I hate Ults in Lucioball).
  4. I disabled the 2 new maps. This leaves the two “Classic” maps and Estadio map.

Remaining Cons - Some changes I couldn’t fix from Blizzard:

• Goals on Classic maps have a wall-ride slowness that couldn’t be fixed.
  • Ball spawning seems to be changed where I can’t see how to fix it. Feels like it spawns inward more and tends to roll around from spawn… fantasic, thanks Blizzard.
  • I chose not modify Lucio speed outside of jump pads as it affects too much of the game. Felt awkward, especially on wall-ride.
  • Changes to boop range seem permanent, couldn’t adjust this. The new boop range is outrageous.
  • I’ve recently come into the issue of booping the ball in your face and it veers to some obscure direction (side or behind)… possibly linked to their recent changes. This used to happen with punches, but now I’m seeing it frequently with boop… great.
  • Boop power seems to have been reduced from OG Lucioball as well. The ball feels like it has less “oomph” which can be more noticeable playing Goalie. Couldn’t find a fix for this.

TL/DR; Suggestions to Blizzard:

• Revert the Summer Games changes to Lucioball. If you want to make a change, make Lucioball available to Custom year-round so that Lucioball can be practiced year-round like any real sport which you are alluding to. What sport doesn’t practice year-round?
  • Try experimental Lucioball for something called “Feedback” rather than ignoring the small, but loud Lucioball community orr better yet, just don’t do this.
  • Keep this out of Competitive and Quickplay, you made “Arcade” changes. Quickplay should be practice/warm-up for Comp outside of Custom.
3 Likes

Awesome

I tweaked the Air speed so that you have full move speed but controlled throttle to allow you to backpedal more if you commit to a jump in midair with the same limitations you had for sideways/forward ; adjusted the ball knockback scalar so that you get 115% boop from a punch or soundwave (can’t change the ball’s lack of regular bounciness) ; and slightly reduced regular move speed to be more like the Classic Mode ; also set up wall ride speed boost to 113%.

I didn’t really mess with the vertical speed adjustments because your modifications seemed about right.

38CCE

1 Like

I came back to the forums after hearing that Lucioball remains in a typical Blizzard state. I see that there was a mention of my old Workshop attempt and hopefully that still works. I likely won’t be bothered to test it or play at all as Blizzard dropped the Lucioball hard on this … again. Best of luck to those that try and feel free to modify where applicable. The only ones who can really fix/revert Lucioball are the devs.

The lack of response and action shows that the company is incompetent in all aspects, which also seems to be bleeding over to their other games & genres. I would guess this is due to losing their staff and game passion with their recent firing or sending off those that had any remaining passion. With the way things are currently, Blizzard will likely continue to cash in on their short-term profits and end up inevitably failing as a long-term, founding game company by not listening or acting on gaming principles and gameplay rather than profit/greed.

As a whole though, Overwatch is basically a dying game and Overwatch 2 will likely have a very short lifespan as well. I assume this may also be why Jeff K left as well. Hopefully there are other alternative game companies that will take over the role and fill the old pair of snow boots left behind by the Blizzard OGs. Blizzard unfortunately may just get left in the cold.

2 Likes

I love this!

I put your post in my compilation of threads to show how negative the reception of the “new” LB is