Crossplay update soft region locked everyone

the server blocking thing has worked for 6 months for me, and still works because the game checks which regions are reachable at startup and seems to respect what is determined

i.e. it doesn’t seem to put you in the EU pool if you firewall EU (or maybe does but it’s heavily de-prioritised)

(probably because of China and other authoratarion countries internet censorship)

I suspect they’ll soon decide that isn’t something we should be allowed to do, and they will either:

• refuse to connect at startup if any regions are blocked
  • put you in the blocked region’s pools regardless, so you get leaver penalties

given “you think you do, but you don’t”… I suspect the latter

and at that point I’m done

2 Likes

I hope you dont mind me asking, but what made you use the ban IP method 6 months ago when you could just choose americas servers ? What made you go this route ?
When I chose americas from EU, I always got ord1 no matter the time of day. Was it maybe different for you ?

I mean, it’s honestly ridiculous that you actually have to go through this instead of Blizzard just allowing it as an option. Their whole, “it’s not separate anymore” is clearly wrong if you can backdoor it so easily. They could make it a feature. Why they don’t is beyond me.

3 Likes

I didn’t have that problem, but a slightly different one

I live in the UK, normal ping is about 25ms, but the game started sending me to the Middle East servers, which are 150ms away

same firewalling strategy though

2 Likes

Same, I’m done with this game cause I just can’t play anymore… I live in Europe but I game during the late night so not only I get bad games it takes forever … but hey , i got lower ping…
so no blizzard, I do not care about 40ms to 120ms its practically the same)

I work evening shifts so tend to play NA when I get home (UK based), but since the new update i’m expecting 20+ mins EU DPS queue, people constantly throwing. I just want to play NA when I select it. Is it really that difficult?

4 Likes

It WAS a feature. And it has been since the game launched. People are mad because this is a 5+ year old thing that got removed, and is forcing us to play with horrible work arounds.

1 Like

It turns out that I have a good connection with the Korean server icn1
Here is an approximate ip ranges to block

:joy:

All these people forcing themselves into the regions they want gives me hope for the future. I’m proud of you.

3 Likes

I hope this is dark irony, cause otherwise this line is what it wrong with our devs, they have no idea how to fix the issue, but make it worse eventually with all these changes. Leaving ppl no crucial choice like role lock instead of propper balalnce, and no region choise instead of creating content, speaks a lot for them.

1 Like

No they don’t, if the game can IGNORE your region choice and put you in another region!

1 Like

Some people said that they couldn’t launch the game if they tried firewalling the new patch.

Overwatch Cross-play issue; playing on xbox, only playing comp with other xbox players. note this is competitive only, cross-play is working fine on quickplay and custom games.

also why is it so difficult to send you guys feedback? took me 20 minutes to find this thread and scroll all the way to the bottom.

You can delete the rule or just disable it

I am from India and I played for the first time yesterday after the new patch and was constantly getting half filled matches with players leaving after losing a single team fight and got kicked out of 2 matches because of a lack of players, never encountered this problem before, checked my server and I was being put in the Middle East servers instead of singapore. Blizzard just whyyyy?

4 Likes

I am from South Africa so I will take lowest ping possible thanks! Nothing ever gets below 150 so as long as I am not thrown into Middle East with 220 instead of Europe at 160 I am happy.

1 Like

I tried blocking even all apps to not make me join Bahrain, Paris or Amsterdam, but it keeps putting me on Ams1 therefore I’m losing hope.

You could have just blocked the SEA servers. But I am happy that you at least get to play even if it’s 130ms

1 Like

Have you made both inbound and outbound rules?