Toggle-able Crosshair Accurate 3rd Person Camera

Holy crap! That’s what I’m looking for! You don’t mind if I make adjustments to your code, do you? (I’m not fond of the camera position for most characters, but the crosshair accuracy is to die for).

My code involves having to implement values for each character individually so that their shots are accurate. It’s very tedious.

1 Like

Do whatever you like.

Though, right now there seems to be a bug with zarya bubbles, so keep that in mind.

1 Like

I know how to fix that. You have include NO teams. If you include all teams, the camera will get jittery every time you aim at a teammate and at an enemy. The jitter when aiming at walls can’t be fixed, at least as far as my knowledge is concerned. Also, I’m curious, what do Player Variables A, B, and C mean?

1 Like

I’ve made a version that allows you to edit A and B directly to see the effects. use F + WASD to change A. Emote hello to switch to modifying B. Quickly stated, A is the plane offset for the camera position. If A was 0,0,0, you’d be looking at the back of your character’s head. B is the camera distance.

C is the infinity distance (the distance at which your ray cast stops). For most characters I set that to 200 so it’s sufficiently far away but doesn’t get caught on background geometry, for zarya and symmetra I moved it closer so that their beam would converge to the reticule.

I also use Y, which controls switching between first and third person for junkrat and widowmaker.

here’s the debug version:

YA4CM

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I started messing with values and figured out what A and B do before you made your post, but now it’s absolutely clear.

My intention is to adjust the camera position appropriately for all characters so it’s more reminiscent of the “over the shoulder” camera from games like Resident Evil 4. Here’s the code for what I was previously working on (which is basically moot now due to your excellency): GE939

It’s mostly apparent for hit-scan heroes.

2 Likes

I spent a whole day making custom cameras for all players and like you, I gave up on the bastion one. But I still couldn’t make a decent third person camera because of the reticle innacuracy.

Edit: I tried your third person camera and it’s amazingly accurate, but the camera jitters and stutters when you turn left or right. Is there any way to fix that?

1 Like

I don’t know, I tried changing the blend speed higher to counteract that, but I didn’t notice any result or change. Also, you find if I use this third person code in the Star Wars Ground Forces game mode I’m working on?

1 Like

Yes, please anyone use my code for whatever you need. I would just request that you tell me when you do because I want to see people building cool stuff on top of my work.

A bit of stutter is inherent to the method used. As you scan your cursor over objects at different distances, it’s going to appear to jump around. This is due to the difference between what your character can see and what your camera can see.

The way this works, it’s going to move the camera around however it needs to put the thing that you’re actually aiming at in the center of the screen. If this were a ground-up third person game, we could do this the other way around, where you rotate the camera smoothly, and then the character’s aiming direction will do whatever it takes to aim at wherever you put the camera. Unfortunately, I don’t believe it is possible to do this in overwatch presently. At least, not easily.

2 Likes

==UPDATE==

I started working on yournamehere’s code and I have to say whatever I was doing was baloney. Here is the UNFINISHED shoulder of their edited code: N9SSZ

Yes, this one is crosshair accurate (thanks to yournamehere). Still needs debugging. Currently doesn’t like Zarya’s bubble much and the jitter can be adjusted with the blend. I think having the blend really low and then making the chase camera follow faster might be the change necessary to make it smooth. I’ll attempt that later.

EDIT: Okay so after some fiddling around I found that making the camera position above the player model, without changing its X access, removes a whole butt ton of jitter. However, the Y is nigh impossible to remove unless you all want to stare at the insides of your character (I’m pretty sure you don’t). I will be adjusting the camera position for all characters to be comfortably above their heads at a comfortable distance away from them.

3 Likes

I’m working on another approach, in the form of a moving crosshair. So the camera doesn’t jerk, but the crosshair is only really accurate to hitscan as it uses ray casting to determine its position. Still, it’s something.

Using a sphere effect currently, but I want to use a thin ring icon so it looks nicer and doesn’t scale too small when the crosshair gets too far. Unfortunately the icons aren’t centered on a position but over it and I can’t figure out how to get around that.

1 Like

Is there an Xbox version of this mod available somewhere?

I wonder if you could update this code once Echo releases on live servers? This is among my absolute favorite Workshop modes.

1 Like

Any chance this could be updated to include Echo?

Workshop mode has been updated to include Echo. Be sure to read the main post for details about Echo specific quirks. She has her own section.

1 Like

is there any setting that allows the camera to be, like, right on top of the character? i was just in a game called “super smash bros” and it had that type of 3rd person camera.

To be perfectly honest, I did not expect to see this ever getting updated again, so I was overjoyed when I saw a notification.

Thank you for this amazing mode!

There’s no “setting” to do that; it’s more a matter of changing the camera positions and probably making a way for people to toggle it (probably just hit interact again). I had been experimenting with an “above the player” type of 3rd person camera back when I was first working on this. I scrapped it because, while it works (and is do-able), some heroes have obtrusive jumping animations, like Lucio, most of the tanks, Pharah, and Bastion is a nightmare.

So yeah I scrapped it. It also makes vertical “snapping,” you know the bug where looking at close objects and then far objects snaps your camera? yeah it makes that, from a vertical perspective, extremely annoying. The shoulder camera is less offensive in both the vertical sense and horizontal sense.

@Deczax

For some reason Blizzard doesn’t want me to be able to respond to people in seperate replies so I will have to do it here instead…

I don’t know where you get the impression that the camera would never be updated. I updated it for Sigma back when he came out, and Baptiste and all that. The camera is finished. There is nothing else for me to do, besides making it less burdensome on rules (lost interest cause I hate OW now) or implementing some kind of “laser sight” mechanic so it’s easier to tell what you’re shooting at (couldn’t before because there was no laser effect in the workshop but now there is. However, again, I hate OW, and the less I play the game the more I keep my sanity so I’m only gonna do it if enough people ask me to).

About the spamming interact i might have a fix for you… when they toggle the camera after all the actions that activate the cam and everything you could do
disallow button interact
wait 250
allow button interact

that could prevent spam and other bugs

its because the camera sees something the player dont
no theres no way to fix it if you use eye pos

the lower the blend speed the slower it gets