Crit/burst armor needed

Wouldn’t it be great if health existed that could withstand a crit or a single shot of a high burst hitscan weapon?

Regular armor directly discourages high volumes of low damage, why shouldn’t ANYTHING exist the other way around?

6 Likes

I do believe that blast resistance is essential for the game to feel more balanced.

The issue is that some players hate whenever anything robs them of their “hard-earned kills”

2 Likes

True enough. People need their dopamine hits to feel satisfied which is a problem.

1 Like

Well here’s an easier fix:

1. Headshots are considered to be damage boosts
  2. Damage boosts do not stack

This ain’t it.

This takes all damage boosting abilities and makes them get worse as the person being boosted gets better. You take lots of abilities that currently reward you for being good and make them reward you for being bad.

14 Likes

Yup. And it’s exactly the kind of change OW2 is going to need to deal with a lack of barriers spammed all over.

1 Like

No, it isn’t. Rewarding bad players and not good players is just about the worst direction you could possibly take the game in. Thanking my lucky stars Blizzard have never attempted anything so foolish, and hoping they don’t do so in the future.

12 Likes

It’s not about bad or good, it’s about removing the dominance of ranged burst damage keeping the “time to kills” really low.

Also, Flick aim isn’t inherently better than tracking aim.

It is, because that’s my objection to it. Your change takes multiple abilities and nerfs them so that they provide no (or very little) value to good players and a lot of value to bad players. That is terrible design philosophy. And understand why you think burst damage is too high, especially on ranged characters. That’s fine. Your suggestion for a solution is not.

9 Likes

Bad because bad, is just circular logic.

Realistically, if they are reducing barriers in the game, it should be obvious that ranged instakills are going to need to get weaker too.

1 Like

Tanks in armor should have a reduction to crit dmg, since their head hitboxes are allrdy that big it woud help them survive against high dmg spikes from heroes like Widow and Hanzo in particular. Maybe around 20% would be nice though.

1 Like

I mean the main offender is Hanzo and Widow.
Just reduce their base damage to 125, then give them a 1.6x headshot multiplier.

Not “bad because bad” this is a deliberately reductionist argument to try to dismiss my argument rather than challenge it. I’ve very clearly explained why it’s bad. Bad because it’s rewarding poor players and not good players. My argument does not contain circular logic.

You seem to be struggling to understand.

I am not objecting to you saying that burst is, or will be, too strong in Overwatch. I am not objecting to you saying that ranged burst damage needs to become weaker. What I’m objecting to, as I have explicitly stated multiple times now, is your proposed solution.

A change which punished good players for being good and rewards bad players for being bad is not a good change. If you’d come with this same argument and an actual solution that was foolhardy, I might even find myself agreeing with you.

One more time, your solution is the problem.

10 Likes

I once thought of a support hero concept who has an “helmet” ability, which for a couple of second halfs crit dmg, basically turning them into bodyshots.

Bad players because of why exactly?

Or are we back to how tracking aim is bad, and flick aim is the only expression of gameplay skill.

All while conveniently ignoring how the main counter to sniper spam, was barrier spam. And they are disarming barrier spam.

Heck, throw this all together with how somehow damage boosting a sniper player, actually makes that player able to get kills with a lower skill threshhold. That it would be more difficult if you couldn’t damage boost headshots.
That’s just a MOBA mechanic interfering with FPS mechanics.

Is this your idea of “Skill” expression?

What on earth are you talking about?

They’re bad players because they don’t have the mechanical skill nor the positioning or game sense to allow them to hit critical hits with an acceptable degree of accuracy. What kind of question is that?

This is probably the most tragic strawman I’ve seen on the forums to date. No, we are not “back” to anything. We never went there in the first place. Track aiming and flick aiming are both expressions of skill - there are also many other expressions of skill in video games. Players who are bad, suck at all of them. I don’t even understand what point it is you think you’re making.

I’m not ignoring it at all. You’re really just not understanding my point, or maybe you’re just not reading my posts fully. I’m not saying snipers should remain strong. I would be happy for a sniper nerf in response to the shield nerf, as I have stated already. Your suggestion at how that that nerf should work rewards bad players and not good players and therefore is a change which is bad for the game, as it makes the sole use of damage boost to close the gap between high and low skill players.

Only for skill players, not for players who aren’t hitting the headshots to begin with. They are not losing any value from this nerf. That is exactly the problem with your suggestion.

No, and at no point did I ever say anything that would lead you to that conclusion through the application of logic.

Can you pause for a minute, and go back and actually read my posts before replying? You’re either entirely misunderstanding or just ignoring half of my posts.

8 Likes

So it’s not about damage boosting sniper headshots?

Because I’m pretty sure it’s about damage boosting sniper headshots.

Since that’s exactly what the change I suggested would affect.

Bro, what? It’s about your proposed balance change which greatly limits the potential of high skill players hitting a large amount of headshots and only minorly impacts lesser skilled players who seldom hit headshots. It’s about you lowering the skill ceiling of characters. It’s about reducing every damage boost in the game to nothing more than a skill buffer for every character that can hit headshots - not just snipers.

8 Likes

Lamp

It’s about reducing the TTK of the game back down to somewhere near where it is now. After taking a bunch of barriers out of the game.

And I don’t see how making sniping more difficult, somehow reduces capability of a good sniper player to win more often than a worse sniper player.

Really, your argument is that if a Sniper has a Mercy pocket, that somehow that Sniper is automatically more “Skillful” which is ridiculous.