Cricket phone number means no OW2?

I came here to make a post about this. Also on Cricket.

It’s hard not to perceive this as classist when Cricket is an affordable or “cheap” phone option in the market, you must be with an expensive carrier, and for what? Security?

When no other game I’ve ever played has had issues with 2FA and my phone carrier, but Blizzard does?

It definitely looks classist / gatekeepy, and I’m avoiding using harsher words as to not forfeit my ability to post on these forums.

17 Likes

Definitely not upset with you, you are the messenger and didn’t create this non-intuitive policy. I hope Blizzard sees your efforts here and pays you a livable wage, I don’t think it’s ok they have you working for free.

2 Likes

Yep, I also have Cricket… I don’t mind linking my number. I have been with them for over a decade now. But the fact I can’t, is where I am super annoyed.

3 Likes

No wages; volunteering feels good. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Richard
The numbers cricket uses are flagged as pre-paid numbers through the fcc. Its such bs but that’s how it is I guess. Been arguing with blizz about it for years.

1 Like

Is there a way to change that? Or are we just stuck unable to play bc blizzard deems our service provider unworthy.

1 Like

Nah, there’s no way to change it. Legitimately, you can’t play Overwatch 2 if you have Cricket, Metro, or any other provider that could be described as “pre-paid,” even if you pay a monthly bill.

It’s a BS decision.

5 Likes

It literally is we’ve had cricket for 7 years and I receive sms from all sorts of mobile apps including my children’s schools with ZERO problems…what is the issue with a prepaid phone over a post-paid? I’m lost and confused.

7 Likes

They claim it’s for account security but I call bs on that.

4 Likes

Bet they are working with one of the big 3

5 Likes

So are they going to be offering refunds to everyone that can’t play due to this stupid restriction?

8 Likes

They have given refunds to a few people, not sure how long they’ll follow thru with that.

2 Likes

Yeah sames. Not changing my carrier to play a game. Not giving up my great service too a crap carrier when I have a PLAN with unlimited data, HBO, and great 5G. Yeah Blizz has lost their minds.

9 Likes

Hopefully for everyone who cannot even play the game. I’ll just issue a chargeback for goods never received.

1 Like

great so we just cannot play, like bro all were trying to do is play the new game

2 Likes

I feel bad for everyone whos going through this. Hopefully it gets resolved somehow

Some good friends of mine mentioned OW2 coming out and I figured I’d hop back on it, found out my phone carrier isn’t classified right…

So the game is trying to dictate my provider? Security via SMS? isn’t that old tech that’s easily hacked?

I mean these reasons are flimsy as ever. Good to see things haven’t changed at bliz I’ll keep an eye out incase they change their mind on this decision but I’m not holding my breath. So they’ll lose another player.

I think that they should use a different approach to verification. Requiring your player base to use specific carriers that usually do cost more money to have isn’t a viable choice. Like most of the people on here, I don’t mind linking the # but having to change my whole phone plan to play a game?

No thanks, I’ll spend my money elsewhere until you’ve come back to your senses.

7 Likes

I have Cricket and my number works… strange. Cricket is just a part of AT&T.

2 Likes

This has got to be one of Blizzards biggest blunders ever. Cricket is a normal cell service provider, not even a pre paid company, so that cuts off literally millions of players. Was in a discord call with my boys when the game released just to find out that 2 of my friends CANNOT PLAY THE GAME BECAUSE THEY HAVE CRICKET???!!

10 Likes

Its very dumb, but thankfully this is blizzard so they’ll claim to be trying to resolve the issue but never actually do it, so at least we have that to look forward to

2 Likes