Cricket phone number means no OW2?

i have cricket and can’t play OW2 or OW1 now. i hope blizzard goes out of business

5 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Since people have discovered Talkatone to be an effective work around for the phone number requirement for only a dollar how does the SMS even protect against smurfs when you can get past it for a dollar? There were smurfs in ow1 who spent a lot more to get a copy of the game, one dollar is nothing compared to that.

2 Likes

dont need talkatone anymore sms is gone oct 7

Overwatch 2 Launch Status Update Surprisingly this will be kind of fixed on October 7.

SMS Protect

“We designed Overwatch 2 to be a live service, which enables us to be responsive to a variety of player feedback. We have made the decision to remove phone number requirements for a majority of existing Overwatch players. Any Overwatch player with a connected Battle.net account, which includes all players who have played since June 9, 2021, will not have to provide a phone number to play. We are working to make this change and expect it to go live on Friday, October 7. We will update players once it is in effect.”

1 Like

People are upset because Cricket does both pre-paid and standard post-paid services. Sadly they can only be classified as one or the other. Blizzard should shape up and realize Cricket offers both and change their setup.

I myself am lucky because the phone number I have is from years ago when I had Verizon. I moved over to Google Fi and took the number with me. If I had used a Google number then I would no longer be able to play the game I paid for because Google’s numbers are consider “VoIP”. Google Fi is however post-paid service.

In short, this is a complete train wreck for Blizzard. They never stopped to think how many tens or maybe even hundreds of thousands of people get screwed over. But to them, if they make that up in selling battle passes then they don’t care in the end.

1 Like

UPDATE: Blizzard has surprisingly outdone my expectations! They talked about how the launch did not go smoothly, took accountability, and at least PARTIALLY fixed the SMS ban. While I still think they should change the Cricket ban for new accounts, this setup will be a bit better at least.

A heartfelt thank you to all the other upset fans, for pushing Blizzard to allow me to play the game I have made countless friendships over, enjoyed for years, and played for a thousand hours. <3 to you all.

1 Like

welp. while this change certainly lets me play, i just feel bad for the console players that didn’t open the game in time, or the new players somehow more locked out of a free to play game than its previous paid version.

this was certainly a solution that helped people, but it also reallowed a good number of “legacy” smurf accounts—while still locking a great deal of legitimate cricket players out of the game. i mean, take what you can get, but damn.

1 Like

As long as people had a battlenet account connected to ow1, they should be able to play, the only reason they mentioned June 9th was because that’s when they started requiring battlenet because of crossplay

I guarantee you this is a push that trickled down from Activision suits. I wish Jeff were back. These were the type of crap decisions he had to fight off before he got fed up and left.

2 Likes

They do not offer any postpaid plans at all.

1 Like

Well, at least per the announcement, those of us who owned it back in June 2021 can play and dont need to submit a phone number.

Yep! They are trying to implement that this week.

1 Like

Seems almost like if you can’t afford a phone plan then you can’t afford there skins and they don’t want you.

You’re responding to old information. They are removing the restriction for many players.

So they replied to my ticket saying that with June 9th 2021 etc. See the thing is that I — and probably a fair amount of other players — gave up on OW1 and hadn’t played in a long time. That’s the point of trying the new game, because it’s not OW1. You make the new game to get new people playing.

I thought I had linked my account to battlenet at some point but I can’t find it under my account settings, so It seems I don’t fall under this umbrella. I guess I at least respect them for responding and taking care of the people who stuck around. Good luck to anyone who meets those requirements.

I’m on the same boat, I own the game since like 2017 but never set up a battle net accounts so I guess I’m still not eligible to play the game. It’s a bummer all my friends are playing and some are new to the game , I pushed them to play and now I get stuck out of it .

ITS A BLOODBATH.
i’M PISSED, so many other players are pissed. This is illegal, and or should be included in system minumum requirements to PLAY the game, cause you know, IT IS A DAMN REQUIREMENT

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.