Creativity is the essence of discovery: Overwatch 2 Beta Statistical Analysis

I love these posts! I was a big supporter of the necrotic orb change but this clearly shows it was very bad for Moira. It’s great to know I was wrong about something after seeing the actual data. Can’t wait for more data driven blog posts!

5 Likes

I could see that going for a newer tank, but Ball has been around long enough, the player skill argument goes for all of them.

Ball is the tank with the most throwers playing him, so…

Says you…

I don’t know that.

1 Like

Next highest picked hero after the two obvious and obviously going to be outliers is Ana

So no, she’s still annoying and deserves to be disliked because of how annoying she is

1 Like

I mean, it’s very easy to achieve absolutely nothing on ball and pretend you’re “doing something” because you’re rolling around the map not dying. There’s only a handful of truly good ball players around, and that’s why ball’s only really good in high elo–casual players just don’t have the time invested or interest to learn to play him at the same effectiveness as rectangle man or muscle girl.

1 Like

Excellent - time to get stuck in again :grin:

Still waiting on rank specific data…There is more than likely massive differences that makes much of this analysis questionable for anybody playing in upper ranks.

Plus map specific data to give context for niche heroes.

2 Likes

Her unmirrored winrate is awful though

If we’re going to complain about hypermobile tanks, maybe we look at Doom?

I mean… the tank that converted from the damage role having the lowest damage and elims and second lowest final blows of any tank probably means there’s something going wrong there… not to mention the highest deaths of any tank as well. Playing the hero doesn’t offer any protection to his team and he only has a method of really setting up for his team if people play incorrectly into him by charging up his punches, which isn’t even a bad play if you can just melt him despite power block.

3 Likes

Doesn’t change that sleep dart is an awful ability to play against

6 Likes

Beta 2 doesn’t have ranks, so we can only apply a rough sift to some of the data based on what we know from OW1 performance. I guess it’s possible they have data in MMR bands, but I don’t know if that level of granularity is useful in a general “JQ is too smol, Sigma is busted, Moira is bad, Orisa is bad” roundup.

I’m sure Blizzard know what the stats are when taking into account OW1 ranks. Or for when they “ranked” players within that stats email sent out at the end of beta 1 based on K:D.

They know. The lack of any discussion of the more than likely large differences between the top and bottom is concerning.

2 Likes

I’m talking with high elo players, 3400+, experienced Ball players, the type to get workshop practices codes and the feedback tracks across. I don’t think this is a skill issue.

The data is actually very unreveleaing but confirming. “Ball is unkillable but so what? Dunno team is dead, GG.”

1 Like

Really great blog. Always appreciate these data dives and the insight they provide into the development process.

And glad to see the community feeling on the Moira changes were reinforced by data. The Necrotic orb was a good idea, but it cost way too much from the rest of her kit. It left her overall underpowered, and the statistics bore out that community conclusion.

If Necrotic orb gets revisited, it needs to come with some buffs, not nerfs. Because the damage orb is apparently more valuable to her kit than it’s given credit for.

2 Likes

Maybe ball is less effective in 5v5 because of how teams move through the maps and engage now? I would want to see ball W/L stats per-map and then a heat map for each of those maps where the most common places for team fights are.

Also consider that JQ enables these really fast moving rush comps, so taking a 4v5 as soon as ball rolls away to “disrupt” is a pretty easy W to take.

1 Like

That seems to be easy regardless of what comp is being played. The lack of second tank has hurt the soloist a lot more it seems, paradoxically.

There’s just not enough time, even in old maps with experienced players doing rollouts.

Cause she’s MID.

1 Like

Doesn’t change that almost every single post complaining about her is calling her overpowered, not poorly designed

2 Likes

It’s because the character might feel overpowered because they’re poorly designed

2 Likes