Cox throttling after 7pm EST

Hi. I’ve been in contact with Technical support regarding this but was told that maybe if I were to put it out there maybe more discussion would come out and help escalate things.

About 5 months ago I noticed I started getting severe latency after 6:30-7pm EST daily. I’ve tried contacting Cox and have had absolutely no success in trying to get this fixed. I’ve asked to talk to higher technicians to no avail. I’ve done everything I’ve been told to do by Blizzard support and any possible communication I do get from Cox but nothing has changed. I am just hoping that I’m not the only one out there that is having this problem so please if you are, let me know!

Hey, Lalah!

To help narrow down a possible issue we will want to include the City and State you are in, along with a WinMTR Test while you are experiencing the problem.

If anyone else with Cox is having this issue please provide the City, State, and a 5-10 minute WinMTR test.

Thanks!

Hey! I am in Portsmouth, VA. This was the last time I ran a test a few days ago around 11pm EST.

| WinMTR statistics |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| 192.168.0.1 - 0 | 1224 | 1224 | 0 | 4 | 153 | 0 |

| 10.5.0.1 - 1 | 1192 | 1184 | 3 | 22 | 230 | 9 |

| 100.127.41.238 - 1 | 1181 | 1170 | 7 | 23 | 230 | 16 |

| 100.120.124.42 - 1 | 1189 | 1180 | 7 | 25 | 232 | 11 |

| ashbbprj01-ae2.rd.as.coxnet - 1 | 1200 | 1194 | 11 | 30 | 236 | 18 |

| 98.182.1.74 - 1 | 1193 | 1185 | 12 | 32 | 235 | 18 |

| ae1-br01-eqdc2.as57976net - 1 | 1185 | 1175 | 35 | 57 | 284 | 44 |

| et-0-0-2-br01-eqch2.as57976net - 2 | 1177 | 1165 | 35 | 58 | 467 | 44 |

| be1-pe1-eqch2.as57976net - 1 | 1193 | 1185 | 35 | 54 | 260 | 44 |

| 24.105.62.129 - 1 | 1200 | 1194 | 36 | 54 | 260 | 50 |

Lalah,

I’ve seen a situation similar to this in another thread. Your issue doesn’t appear to be an ISP wide problem, actually. For some reason the throttling is happening very close to your house. You can see that you have 1% packet loss between your router (192.168.0.1) and either your modem or ISP (depending on if you have a separate modem/router or a combo device).

In either case, you’ll want to contact your ISP to resolve it. They may need to replace your modem or router or check the lines between your place and the box down the street or something like that. Something’s malfunctioning there, and once they fix it you should go back to normal.

I had to jump hoops to get someone to listen and actually get an appointment for a tech to come out on Tuesday. I will definitely update if anything is fixed. Thanks so much!

Sounds good! I’m replying back here to give you something to reply to. Just leave the thread be for now and reply back if you still need our help after they come out! In that case, a new winMTR would be useful so we can confirm the packet loss is fixed.

I waited until around the usual time to test how things were after the tech visited. He changed some cables because he said they were bad, but I’m still getting some lag. I’m not entirely sure what to do now?

Howdy! I would recommend to contact the ISP again show them the WinMTR or collect a new one showing the issue. Tell them what the technician did today but let them know that didn’t resolve the issue.

I have shown them the winmtr report and they asked me to continuous ping google. I did and they proceeded to tell me that there are no problems within the network. I will never get an answer from Cox when ONLY overwatch is where I have a problem. My internet is fine, no other game I play lags. This has really just made me give up.

1 Like

Hey Lalah,

It looks like you were working with our GMs on this previously and they exhausted most of the other troubleshooting we could do with you on this issue. Unfortunately your interaction with your ISP is something we have no control over and we’ve given you about all the circumstantial evidence we have for this which could help you drive that conversation. It looked like a VPN to Virigina seemed to improve things from the ticket text, didn’t it? Did that stop working for you?

Sometimes it did and sometimes it didn’t help. However, that costs me money to upkeep.

Just out of curiosity, did the tech check the wiring that’s outside your home too? Like did they check the wiring in the box on the pole, and the connection that comes from the pole to the house?

I wonder what the upstream and downstream power levels are on your modem, if you can log into your modem it should have a section to view connection power levels, and another section called event log where it has a log for any timeouts the modem experiences.

I had an ongoing issue with Comcast for a little over a year with constant disconnects, I had probably like 7 tech visits during that time, each time they’d swap something out, change some wires etc, and it would be fine for maybe a week then it would be garbage again. The only way I was able to escalate the issue to get a senior tech out to my house was to tell customer service that there’s something wrong with the power levels of my modem, and mentioning all the t3 and t4 timeouts in my modems log.

Finally after getting a senior tech out, who literally checked everything, they found that somehow the pole outside had a bad neutral connection, and was basically melting all the connections inside the box on the pole, and also melting the coax cable that comes from the pole to the little box on the outside of my house. They changed all the wiring outside, I called the electric company to fix the pole, and it’s been fine ever since.

Yes the tech checked outside of the home and on the pole today. He told me everything looked fine nothing out of the ordinary. Basically I was told it could be just too many people connecting to the “tap” on the pole and it may just need some basic maintenance and that he would put in a ticket for that and to call Cox when it starts happening so they can check things on their side. Only other thing he told me was that my modem wasn’t giving the speeds I’m supposed to be getting.

I checked the logs and I have 1 or 2 T4 timeouts

God I hate cable companies, did he give you a new modem or offer any explanation or fix for you not getting the correct speeds? If not that’s an issue because you should be getting the speeds you’re paying for.

T4 timeouts are usually caused by an issue with the downstream channels. I would call them again (especially if that tech didn’t fix the fact that you’re not getting the speeds you pay for) tell them you’re still having issues, and when the tech shows up tell them you want everything replaced, including the wires and what not in the pole, the cables that come from the pole to the house, etc. I have a feeling that your upstream and downstream power levels probably aren’t what they’re supposed to be, which would also explain the t4 timeouts.

Do you have any coax cable splitters that are hooked up in your home? If you do try disconnecting them if you don’t need them hooked up, they can cause excess noise in the cable line which can cause interference with your speeds and the overall quality of your service.

Also I found this forum post on Cox’s forums from an ex tech, his issue sounds a bit more extreme than yours but figured I’d include it. It really shows how useless the info that the customer service people have really is.

forums.coxcom/forum_home/internet_forum/f/internet-forum/3152/t3-and-t4-timeouts-from-an-ex-field-technician

(It wouldn’t let me add the link so I removed the “.” Between the words Cox and com)

Also sorry for all the random info I’ve thrown at you, I did an absurd amount of research about this stuff when I had my issue with Comcast lol.

1 Like

He didn’t offer any explanation or anything about the modem speed lol, I should’ve asked in retrospect but so much info was being thrown at me at the time. I don’t have any splitters anymore, the tech last week removed the one I had. I appreciate all the help you’ve given me!

1 Like

Definitely call them again because that’s not okay that he was like oh you’re not getting the right speeds, and then just leaves. Good luck I hope you figure it out!