Could we acknowledge that aim is a skill?

My stance on Brig. Stuns and shields with proc self-heal…

Hard to hit if she is using her shield.
When she lowers it she is probably stunning you or knocking you back.
When she takes damage she can just throw up a shield and heal up.

Need really good aim to deal tons of damage when the shield isn’t up and to finish her when you have an advantage; because, that advantage probably isn’t going to last long.

Oh and one last thing:

People keep saying chars like Mercy require no skill.

We can acknowledge that Fissure indeed does have more skill than Iremiix because adding Fissure to the roster made gladiators into a far better team as a whole, this is proven by statistics of them winning far, far more sets after Fissure was added to the roster.

So skills besides mechanical aiming are considered skill.

People also keep saying that every character requires skills such as game sense. Generalising that all chars gotta have similar amount of game sense and blabla.

So what happens when you have a character like Mercy versus another character in GM, where everyone is considered to have high game sense?

That mercy has to survive in such an environment for as long as possible without getting killed by 6 enemy players with vast amount of game sense, but Mercy by character design relies entirely on game sense and micromanagement of a cooldown to stay alive. She is very bad at outgunning her opponents, she can’t make them disappear on her own. Getting caught out means death, she can’t flashbang a Genji attacking her and point and click him to death in majority of the cases. She doesn’t have discord to make her enemies easier to kill either. Her best option is to run away.

So it becomes high game sense versus high game sense. Mercy has to keep outsmarting her opponent to stay alive while still able to provide healing. If mercy has worse game sense than her opponent, mercy dies or her team dies around her. So good Mercy has to have better game sense than the opposing enemy x6. And game sense is skill.

That essentially means that Mercy has to be more skilled in game sense in order to win against any of her 6 opponents. Because mercy’s win condition is to have better game sense than the opponent, but every opponent also has high game sense.

Somebody has once said that Ark being a shotcaller, he plays with his teams positioning like chess alongside his own so he can use guardian angel to the maximum efficiency. Stats show he’s consistently had the lowest death count.

To what amount of game sense is required to play different types of characters would be impossible to gauge because game sense itself is such a vast term and very difficult to define in quantities. And people are naturally better at different things.

But to say that characters like Mercy are no skill characters because they do not require aim would be flat out wrong.

5 Likes

Last time going offtopic.

You are overusing words like “engagement” that have nothing to do with a specific requirement, its a playstyle. Everybody “engages” in this game, the difference is that some of them are enablers (tanks/support) and some of them are finishers (DPS/tanks). Positioning is related to effectiveness, not to a specific role or a specific type of engagement.
Then again, no one except DPS are “required” to kill anything but tell that to Roadhog, Zarya, Winston, Dva … etc, i think you get the point.

Theres no exception and no, i dont play flankers.
Positioning is more forgiving on heroes with mobility but saying that those dont require positioning is so far fetched that is literally a lie mate, and thats a fact.

Wrong again.
An out of position Pharah or Widow is going to die in 3,2,1 … however if you play near a Rein and Moira, you are not going to get punished as hard because your team can support you and keep you alive. If you are a soldier playing alone in high ground and they get you … and your team is nowhere near, nor heals can be done from afar, you die.

Positioning is not a static value mate. It changes with the map and the (enemy) comp. Just because a flanker has more mobility, saying it requires no positioning is simply wrong. Not an opinion, its a fact. :slightly_smiling_face:

Considering there are heroes that dont require aim but work effectively with something else, yes. Case in point, Winston.

You dont call someone insulting by dismissing what they are; braindead, no aim, no skill hero unless you feel insecure about how other people get to do well compared to the hero you play.

There are heroes who dont need aim and heroes who do. And its fine. This game is an FPS but its not restricted to being ONLY AIM mattes but by other criterias that make you work as a team to accomplish the goal.

If it was solely about aim, we’d see an endless supply of Widow and S76 counterparts and have nothing dynamic in this game to make it interesting. We’d just have Overwatch: CoD edition. And since the game on release had Rein, Winston, Mercy, Junkrat, Mei and etc, my point stands.

Aim is a skill, but its not the sole thing that makes this game as a whole. Get over yourself already off of that high perch of yours.

6 Likes

and we’re done.

Agree with everything but the 3rd point

Yeah you are welcome. Glad to make things clear for you regading positioning :joy:

Sure buddy. You enjoy winning the internet.
You’ve really opened my eyes. :slight_smile:

Sorry for having an issue with trivially easy heroes being too effective with a highly disproportionate skill vs reward ratio.

That game actually sounds a lot more fun than Overwatch that is ruined by Brigitte and such.

It’s one of the many skills needed on variating levels to be succesfull on OW.

I have terrible aim due to very little FPS experience and to be honest, I’m not young anymore. Bad reacton time makes aiming harder. It’s nice to see others doing well on hitscans etc even though I can’t do so well myself.

Thats a very far fetched statement pal. Like you took it here, went through a wormhole to a different dimension then went through a black hole back in time and then you hit enter to post it.
Im sorry, whats hard about aiming?, its literally “click on their heads lol”.
Its a mechanical skill that can be physically trained, like lifting weights. Good luck “training” your gamesense.

This statement is also feeble. 2 things mate :

• Brig is so easy clap easy wins? take her, make yourself an OTP and gain 500SR in one week, go on, we’ll wait.
  • You dont know how to counter Brig ? That sounds more like a “you” issue.

Aiming is a skill but this is not counter strike, nor call of duty, there are more skills in this game and the combinations also add much more “drama” to be good at. Sure aiming makes “flashy” PoTGs but many of those flashy plays wont be possible without the VERY hard work of Tanks and Supports. Those are the real “carriers” in the game.

PS: Oh boy now i see, 174 on a widow main account. Now it all makes sense.

3 Likes

If you want the Widowmaker experience, go play Duck Hunt and leave everyone else alone.

And if you want to play high aim heroes, play McCree.

2 Likes

Not trying to be rude, not at all. But if the experience you want is something more aim reliant, Overwatch might not be for you. Try branching out to other games that are more based on pure shooting mechanics.

Overwatch was designed to be accessible to a large player base of varying skill levels, designed as a casual game. It really just sounds like you’re not getting what you want from a game in Overwatch. Search around for games that are more to your personal taste, because they do exist.

Arguing for Overwatch to adopt a style of play just because it suits you more doesn’t make sense, when the easier solution is just you finding another shooter to play. Of course I’m not saying you can’t or shouldn’t play Overwatch. I’m just putting my two cents in.

Rainbow Six Siege, Quake, or DooM 2016 could be good options.

3 Likes

Done both.
And game sense is needed for aim heavy heroes too.

There were already examples of people climbing from gold to top 500 with Brigitte.

No. MY hard work.
Supports and tanks are must picks because of their stats, but hard work is arguable, especially when it comes to supports. (Save for Ana.)

Overwatch has many good abilities, and game modes, which I like.
I invested lots of time into it, and it pains me to see it get destroyed.

It’s not been destroyed, just led through a natural progression you disagree with.

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Slayer, I dont think this is your game man, and I’m not trying to be insulting here. You’re clearly trying to force this game to be something it isn’t. Traditional FPS games seem to be what you want, not hero based shooters.

4 Likes

Playing both Overwatch and Quake Champions, while you cant remove “aim” from OW and especially in competitive play it matters a lot, but frankly:

if i wanted to just frag people running in circles i`d play QC or UT4.

I enjoy overwatch because it is possible to play without making it contest of snapshot instagibs. I enjoy Overwatch because a lot more effort while playing it is put into team play, assessing the situation, reacting and outplaying by “smart” play rather than simple twitch. I certainly don’t want it to go away. Overwatch should never become a simple “shooter” - its advantage is its moba elements and orientation on team play.

Should aim heavy heroes that are rewarded for it exist? Sure.
Should there be heroes that can counter them while not requiring master aim exist? Sure.

Unrelated but relevant note:
Watching recent OWL/Contenders is kind of boring since half the camera focus is on Widow all the time. Sure, godlike shots are nice to watch - but OW turning in duel of snipers is plain boring. At least prior McRee snapshots or tracer kills look more impressive than constantly having Widow fly around reaping enemy team.

3 Likes

This is a hilarious topic on a board where about every other thread is full of endless whining how the “braindead” heroes who don’t require much aim are too strong and Mccree, Widow, Soldier, Genji, etc., need buffs.

1 Like