Console Voice Chat Always Breaking

Ever since the update that broke voice chat on PC, console has had extra problems with the feature. VC will constantly break at random times (sometimes certain things will trigger it), locking players out of group/team chat with a permanently marked mute icon despite not being muted. You will not be able to hear other players in the chat and it doesn’t show a volume icon in the group/team page for the other players who are definitely in chat or at least listening.

The only solution is to close the game entirely and restart it. Obviously this is not a viable way to fix the chat if you’re mid match. I had really hoped the latest hot fix/patch that mended the VC bug would include this but unfortunately it is still broken. I’m begging for this fix, Blizzard. I know there’s a lot on your plate with Overwatch 2 (and we JUST now fixed the PC VC bugs), but I want to enjoy time with my friends on other consoles without worrying I’ll have to restart my game multiple times because it kicked me from voice chat with no in game fix. It makes spending time with my partner on Overwatch incredibly hard.

2 Likes

The reality they don’t care about console players. They just add more bugs instead of fixing it.

Console receives a lack of attention unfortunately and that’s how it has always been. I post here in hopes it can be fixed but honestly it feels like we’re yelling out into the void.

Understand that bugs often have to be replicated by the quality assurance team to verify the bug. Also in the bug report forum, Blizzard typically does not respond, unless they are actively investigating a confirmed bug but need specific information from the users (this policy is elaborated in further detail here). Furthermore, when it comes to consoles, functions like voice chat is not only subject to issues that can occur in Overwatch, but also with the hardware and operating system of the console platform.

If you have not already, go to this support article, click the option for console platforms, and try working through some starting troubleshooting steps.

Hello Wyoming, and thank you for the reply. However it feels like my original message wasn’t heard… I appreciate the suggestion to look into troubleshooting for console but this is not a singular issue with myself. This is something I’ve spoken to many people on the platform about. Our community feels neglected and I personally think it’s within our right to mention so. Every player (friend or not) that I’ve asked about this bug and if they’ve encountered it has said yes— confirming the fact this is a widespread issue amongst our platform.

My statement you quoted was a not a sleight at the team at all, but you must understand the frustration that comes with everything going on right now. The PC community was extremely annoyed for so long with the VC bug that didn’t become resolved until just recently. Console, at this point, doesn’t expect resolutions at all anymore. It feels like a lost cause for us, swept under the rug.

I’m bringing attention to the one bug in particular that makes the game feel unplayable on a technical level. Players are struggling to find reasons to keep playing. Huge voice chat issues like this are a massive deterrent.

1 Like

I am having this problem and I am wondering was it ever fixed? I have hunted down every VC fix because 1 friend muted and squelched. Then realized. All PC friends are muted and squelched. Restarting does not help. What now?