Connection Issues

Even though i have an 400 mbps dowload, a 300 mbps upload speed and live in the country ranked with the 4th fastest internet speed, i still somehow get disconnected when i play Overwatch.

And i am convinced for a fact the problem is not with my internet, bcs this happened on multiple occasions while i was watching a stream (either on twitch or youtube) and unlike the game, the stream kept going without a problem.

This started to happen when Overwatche started to switch the servers from Amazon to Google.

The reason this bothers me the most, is bcs this happened to me 5 times now in competitive . One of the times it happened 10 sec before the game was finished, the enemy team having 3 leavers us having captured both control points and them none.

Please take action against this and start fixing your potato servers. Thank you.

Hey KTM,

This post explains why streams/videos may be fine while the game disconnects. The difference is buffering (not affected by packet loss or instability) versus the game needing a constant stable connection.

Most likely the disconnect is happening somewhere between your ISP and the game servers. Without any connection data though it’s hard to say for sure. We definitely monitor the status and health of the Overwatch servers, so if there’s ever an issue that affects everyone and it’s within the Blizzard network our engineers will be on top of it. We don’t currently have anything like that going on right now though.

I’m having the same problem it is a constant every game I get into I lag out of at least 1 time and the lag through out the match and i know it’s not my end maybe the servers need an update or new parts just me thinking out loud here. This issue is causing me to lose countless comp games and it is really getting annoying at this point if the issue isn’t fixed there is no reason to play this game if you cannot even play a full match.

1 Like

Aha so u expect me to believe a livestream with a delay around 6 second creates a buffer of minutes? Yeah i don’t know why but i just ain’t buying it.

1 Like

The point is that livestream data isn’t considered critical and that data is sent to you regardless if the packets are being dropped. The data being sent to the Overwatch servers needs to be checked and verified by the server, then sent back, so drops in packets would affect Overwatch significantly more than livestreams, as Overwatch would need to resend and reverify those lost packets. This is just one possibility and there’s several reasons why only one application could be having connection issues. We aren’t aware of any widespread issues though, so in order to investigate this we would need more information. Would you be able to provide a MTR test?

1. Download WinMTR (Console players need a Windows Desktop Computer connected to the same network as their console to do this.)
  2. Unzip the WinMTR.zip file to the Desktop.
  3. Open the WinMTR folder and select the 64 bit version.
  4. Run the WinMTR.exe as Admin
  5. Type the IP address you want to trace in the “Host” field. To get the correct IP you will actually need to open up the game and go Practice Vs AI or Quick Play and if you are on PC hit Ctrl+Shift+N and it will bring up the ingame network diagnostic graph, or go to Video > Options > Display Network Performance Graph if you are on any platform including Console. In the top left corner is the IP address you want to run WinMTR to.
    Network Graph
    Note: You will want to leave the colon and last 5 digits at the end off and only use the first four set of digits (for example, 24.105.13.114 in the screenshot without the :26535).
  6. Once you notice the connection issue while playing, play for about 6 more minutes, minimize the game and click on “Stop”.
  7. Click on “Copy text to clipboard”, then return to this forum thread.
  8. Type two sets of four squiggly lines and then paste the contents of the WinMTR test between: ~~~~ Paste WinMTR Test Results Here ~~~~

Note: Break links by adding a space before .com/.net, so you can post them. If you have issues pasting the data here, please use Pastebin and post the link. Then highlight the link and press the ˂/˃ button.

It’s literally all your end, the servers are really bad and need fixing and updating but you guys are probably to cheap to do so just like the rest of them.