Confused re Placements due to post by Blizzard Guides yesterday. R placements special?

Hi guys,

This video went on u tube yesterday by Blizzard Guides. This guy (obviously knowledgeable ) sais that the PLACEMENT SYSTEMS are not simple QP’s. Also he suggests to play for performance. Im confused
Wich is what ?

Why the hell nobody from the developers explain us for 2 years why they exist., I don’t know.

QUOTE OF UPLOADER COPIED BY THE TUBE
“…Since a lot of people are asking for my sources, I’d like to say that there are none; I did my own research. I took data from previous placements (from OverBuff and MasterOverwatch), and saw how SR changed after 10 matches. This allows me to see what stats caused SR to go up and down. I found that for placements, W/L doesn’t affect placements much, and that individual stats helped more. Doesn’t matter what rank either, during placements stats affect ALL ranks. You can change about ±200SR, in some cases even more ( but it’s usually in the negative direction, think throwers :stuck_out_tongue: ). Hope this clears that up, should’ve included it in the video…”

Placements after the initial ones are basically 10 normal matches with exaggerated performance gains. I’ve seen gains of up to like 500 or 600 in cases of boosting, but for legitimate placements the max seems to be about 300 unless you’ve vastly improved in the three day off season, which rarely happens and explains why almost everyone is placed within 150 of where they left off.

Previous season end matters most, win/loss matters second, performance matters third (if diamond or below). Prior inactivity makes your rank change more. See Season 9 Placements Analysis, High Variance Explained. In my analysis, performance shows up as noise, since I can’t quantify it.

I AGREE BUT THE VIDEO IS 100% OPPOSITE 

Further since this streaming channel exist since the beginning its weird what he says

I think he’s right in a way. What I meant was this:

1. They are 10 normal matches which gives you a potential base of +/-250 difference to your placement SR from your ending SR

2. They have exaggerated performance based SR adjustments on top of that, so that base 250 could be higher or lower depending on how you’ve done

I can only offer anecdotal evidence, but there are times when I go 6-4 yet place 100 lower just because I didn’t perform as well as I usually do. Then there are other times I’ll go 5-5 and place like 150 higher because I was killing it. So I really do think performance is a much bigger factor than wins, but that’s just from my experience and based on no actual evidence.

This rumor has been around since the beginning, and I’ve never seen evidence other than “It seems to me”, or “I had this placement this one time”. This particular video says that he’s done research, but he doesn’t show it, nor do fits, nor significance analysis, so I feel comfortable ignoring it just like a random forum poster.

If that is the case how does going 8-2 only earn 95? What does one need to do to get these 300 increases? Like I kinda expected considered going 4-1 post placements has me up another 100…

Just remove the waste of time practice imo.

It’s performance based SR. It’s always wonky. Reason you went 8-2 and only gained 95 is the same reason people only gain 18 in games they stomp then 28 in games where they feel like they did nothing - nobody knows exactly how it works, and it does strange things.

There was one season where I went 6-4 and got +300 SR on my placement even though I felt like my stats were average. Then another I went 5-5 and got -100 even though I killed it in every match.

But… I did stomp. And I climbed just as much in half as many matches afterwards. How does that add up?

Bruh it’s PBSR. No one knows how it works, and it is stupid. It was removed from the upper tiers for a reason.

Can we get the same courtesy then? Lol. It’d be great as no one likes them.