Confused by endorsement

I thought endorsement was supposed to be an incentive to endorse other players. About the only time I don’t endorse is when there’s only one or two available to endorse. Am I doing this wrong? Reason I ask is for no apparent reason I suddenly dropped from 4 to 3. I didn’t disconnect during the match or anything like last time I lost and level. Can anyone help me understand how it works and what I’m doing wrong?

You need a certain amount per match or it goes down from 4 to 3 pretty easily.

2 Likes

you dont have to do anything…other people have to endorse you…i guess the logic is if youre a good player (i dont mean aim)…people will endorse you and it will go up on its own…but it does become harder to maintain at 4 and 5

1 Like

I think this is the first match in a long time where I didn’t receive any. Does it really go down that fast? I think the reason I didn’t get any is because I was on the payload and moved away from it to be able to see where the junk tire was coming from. Didn’t realize I had about 0.67 left to go or I would have stayed with it. Thought the Ashe that was there with me was on it but she moved as well. Pretty much my fault we lost.

1 Like

It does. I’ve gone to 4 and back to 3 again over the course of a couple games

1 Like

I don’t know if they changed it since they added endorsements to arcade and the like. But it used to be you needed something like 4-5 endorsements nearly every match to maintain level 5, and an average of about 3 for level 4 and so on.

Edit: It’s also SUPER slow to grow unless your massively getting endorsed by both teams. I must spent 2 months going form 3 to 4. I kind of barely beat the decay I think. I never dropped a rank, but I certainly took forever to go up.

No hard numbers were ever released, just a “feeling” people got from their own experience. Generally it’s impossible to maintain a high level without being a bad player…

Cause you can’t ever group up with a team for more than 1 match, nor can you group up with friends. Each person can only endorse you once per day so playing to often within 24hours can also hurt you if your rank has a small player base as you will run into the same people over and over again.

Endorsements are a joke, I only have level 4 because for the longest time you couldn’t earn or lose endorsements from playing arcade. Now that you can I am sure I’ll drop as I usually only get 2 or so per match.

While there’s no official statement how the system really works and this explanation in link (post in green) is not official nor it comes from an employee I found it to be most accurate regarding endorsement levels, check it out if you want.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/endorsement-level/232359/2

I personally never did experience my level suddenly dropping but I’m aware there are many players that have same situation like you do.
Even if you have highest level only thing that you get is few extra boxes and you’ll only get duplicates from them once you reach silver border portrait.

Also if you play DPS heroes it seems that player base is not so fond to give endorsement to DPS for some reason, I think that endorsement should go to players that deserve it based on their performance, communication etc, not on which role they play.

I wish the endorsement system did not exist.

It disheartens me the moment I see those shiny 4 and 5 numbers near a dps hero in competitive.

No dps main has over 3 level endorsement. You KNOW the match is gonna get ugly when the number of endorsement is high. Let alone, these people do not even talk. Simply got the numbers because they main other roles.