Complaining about the fake new 32k limit

if the engineers are reading times (most likely not) then please do something and either make it so custom games are hosted on the client’s server (so it doesn’t lose connection) or just give a bigger portion of the server to the user. I cannot edit code, test code, or go above 20k. You gave us a 32k limit just to mess with us.
You get disconnected every time you go above 20k. How am I suppose to use the new limit and the new stuff you added if you are limiting me to making only RPG, roleplay and copy pasted modes because of the poor server hosting?

3 Likes

Well depending on what network mode they use like a Listen Server the host player become actually a fraction of the main game servers the hoster is the server/client at the same time and replicate relevant data to the other clients (player who are joining your games). I am optimistic the devs will fix that as soon as possible.

They won’t tho. This problem is about… 10 months+ old. But almost nobody uses the workshop for new modes that use a lot of code so the activity on the forums is almost zero. Even if they will see this I doubt they will do something.
Also if you are in a match (less than 16K code) and you press on the workshop to edit midgame the game will load the workshop a bit harder, blackscreen you for 6-10 seconds then work again but your character will be in another position (facing another point and 3-4m away). Probably because the size of the code makes you reconnect midmatch in the same place.

Hm well since i don’t have any modes with more then 16k elements created by my self and rarely recieved one and used those, i can’t share this experience i fix some problems others have here and those are just ofc code snippets, what they actually do otherwise which would cause some heavy load i am not sure about. But there are some techniques where you can reduce as much elements possible but still have an efficient experience. Did you checked out bigger project presentated here on the forum which get frequently updated?

On short, I have 44 characters on one rooster (out of 2, 36 on the other one) and they are randomly assigned to some of the normal overwatch heroes. For example, if I have more than 4 soldier characters the game crashes because it check for too much code in the same time (I use a player variable to determine which character you are). I want to merge both versions to one thats gonna use almost the entire new limit but I can’t edit to optimize them because of the stupid disconnect thing/bug.

1 Like

What the hell are you talking about? Are you sure you are on PTR?

I can go over 20k characters just fine. See APCR0, contains 32426 characters.

Characters as in classes for fk sake. Like heroes you know? Custom heroes?

1 Like

My bad, I meant elements not characters. But I don’t see how this limit is “fake”.

2 Likes

Since overwatch has a limit on how many events on a certain hero it can check. If you have lets say 2 abilities and one ultimate on each class and at least 2 events on every ability and 3 for the ultimate the server will crash because there is too many variables to check on a certain hero. (I used a player variable to determine the class)

Then you are talking about runtime limits instead of size limits, which have nothing to do in common.

3 Likes

When you are increasing the size you also have to increase the server partition. You are expecting your player base to code more, that uses more server power so you have to boost that too.

This train of thought is exactly why the devs are reticent to increase the element limit. Sure you can put more code, but you also have to be careful with optimization.

More element count helps tremendously with storing data, such as strings, vectors, or numbers. It allows having one code for each map, and even allows for i18n.

3 Likes

Yeah I understand that but I can’t optimize my code inside of it if I can’t open the workshop, because it disconnects me from the server…

This is a whole another issue which has to do with the number of UI elements rendered at once.

2 Likes

Doub’t it. UI is client side depending on the variables. Id say its more about how many events are tied to one type oh hero (ex: Soldier76), since the problem only appears when I have more than 4 of one hero. Too many events to check id say. But I am struggling to combine them to events because of the complexity of some of the ultimates/abilities.

The server crashes happen because there are too many events (the “the server closed due to excessive workshop load” message).

The disconnects when you open workshop are tied to the UI and the UI alone. You could disable all the rules and you will still get disconnected. The client tries to render the rules and takes too much time.

2 Likes

Ok that’s probably why its disconnecting me. Its still stupid to store that data server side. It should be client side then sent to the server after you exit the workshop, then replicated to everyone in the lobby.

Maybe there should be a limit to how many elements can be loaded/rendered when you try to edit the action/condition. After that limit has been reached, you would have to scroll down to the bottom of the action/condition editor and press “Show More” to see the rest of the elements. That way, the client won’t time out while trying to load an action/condition.

2 Likes

This can work too. They can split it like you said and only send the other half (third,etc.) when you request it using that button.

I mean what’s even the point of them giving us 32k when almost anything complex causes server overload in some sort of way?

1 Like