Competitive mode is anything but competitive

Match after match I’m losing big despite playing really well. I’m Silver(1500SR) as support, playing mostly as Ana. I get roughly 14 Eliminations a game, with 4 deaths and about 8000-10,000 healing(more depending if it goes to extra rounds). Hitting 15+ sleeping darts in critical fights and constantly nading the enemy team. I’ve even started darting Genji, Mcree etc. players regularly, and hitting opponents in 1v1’s and when ultimates are activated. I know when I play bad, and will accept that, but far too often the match is decided within 5 minutes due to teammates making bad decisions. It’s actually refreshing when I see a teammate chipping in with impactful decisions, because it’s such a rarity

I started with QP today for two games to warm up, in which I won one and lost one, both close and exciting games. It felt good. I decide to go for some competitive, and am on a three loss streak despite playing really well as support as of now. All three games, the enemy team were hopping around in bundles easily picking off my team. It feels like such a chore in competitive. I feel I’m versus my own team rather than the enemy

I take my role as support to heart in wanting to help my teammates and get us those wins, but being slaughtered game after game is tiring, which is a shame because in the 9 months I’ve been with this game, it’s been so, so fun and refreshing after a few years absent from online versus games due to modern games being nothing like they used to 10+ years ago

This isn’t a rant, just an observation of what I’ve seen in my 300 hours of playing Overwatch(98% in competitive). Maybe it’s because I was late to the game, only picking it up last April, in that matching making has maybe deteriorated due to lesser population and players not genuine to their rank

I can honestly say that I play out of my skin most games, and still lose heavily. I can win 1v1s with Ana in most encounters, bunny hop-heal my teammates like I’m on steroids, eliminate, sleep, nade opponents regularly to try to chip in with damage, be the last to die so as not to be a burden, yet 80% of the time that loss is looming before the first round is over

It feels as though Silver is corrupted. Whenever I touch Gold, I notice an upgrade in teammates, as you’d expect, start winning a handful of games, and then go on an excruciating loss streak of Reinhardts, Dva teammates feeding the enemy teams by not keeping a steady line, quitters, afk players, teammates not adapting to the flow of games(hero choice, positional patterns etc.), as though the game is trying to put me back to mid-Silver

It feels the opposite of ‘Competitive Play’. I’m expected to carry as a support? Literally kill the entire enemy team while babysitting my team, making sure they don’t accidentally fall of the map or blow themselves up? I can lose matches and still have fun, ie my loss today in QP, but getting steamrolled game after game is too much. That’s not a case of “get better”, it’s faulty matchmaking. Competitive Play should be an even playing field for my apparent rank, not a circus of sanity-crippling experiences that are way out of my control

OW2 needs matchmaking that reads all individual stats of each player and then pairs us up accordingly. This current system seems to only favour win/loss ratio, which is flawed because of in-game situations that are not on the individual. If I get 12,000 healing as Ana, 17 eliminations, 5 deaths, hit most of my darts and nades, yet still lose heavily, that’s not on me. The systems should read that I did well and pair me with similar performers

5 Likes

You are partly right. The player base has dwindled so far that the match maker has a very hard time getting 12 players even close to each other in skill.

6 Likes

This thread is correct. Do you realize competitive play is handicapped with match making rating? More details here:

3 Likes

Maybe play a different support? Having gold medals doesn’t really do anything. Also maybe try getting a group together to get out of silver

4 Likes

Why don’t you open up that profile so we can verify this

Perhaps there’s something you’ve missed.

2 Likes

I think group play is the only way to go. Whenever I lose badly, it’s due to the other team syncing ultimates and being tight knit in their play. Problem is, I don’t like group play as it feels disingenuous, paired with my social anxiety stressing me out when I play with others. Whenever the other team have a party, it’s always led by high rankers clearly boosting their friends

I just lost to a team of 3 golds and 3 silvers, with my team 2 silvers, a bronze and 2 unranked. Got slaughtered. There was a gold Ashe player sniping my team the entire game, but no one tried countering them. I tried as Ana, got a number of headshots, but was distracted by teammates needing healing. Bear in mind that I’m low Silver in rank, so those 3 golds were a joke

At this point, I’m just taking the losses and trying my best. Many matches are very uphill. It’s best to look at it as QuickPlay, so as not to look to much into it

1 Like

Well that’s an issue why are you trying to do dps rather than heal? Teams need to use cover and not let hitscan shave good LOS try landing sleeps and nades on the tanks, let your tanks mow them down and ashe isn’t an issue.

I had to take her out, she was killing my team from across the map. My Damage teammates weren’t taking notice. Guess what? I did eventually take her out and we got the objective, albeit for only one 10 seconds or so

At times like that, where she had high ground and no pressure on her, someone has to at least pressure them. I sniped her, filled my team with heals and then took out a ball and an Ana to get us a foot in the game. I have skill and won’t waste it if my team is being incompetent

Another nod to machmaking being trash. I knew the problem, yet my team were like bots on Easy mode running hopelessly into the Ashe, Genji and Hog trap