Competitive MMR reset

It would have saved over a hundred gamez I ruined both ways… So, sure. It is a good idea.

Why people are against more accurate ratings is beyond me, my theory is they understand they are boosted and don’t want to lose their rank. Lul.

3 Likes

Can you back that up with some kind of calculation? Or are you just spewing echo chamber stuffs that the GM gamers circle back and forth in their discords because well, they have a vested interest NOT to be reset, and play the game instead of doing math.

It’s this. The rich are always afraid of losing their riches to some hungries who have been kept low by a broken rigged system. No way a GM is destroying bronze matches more than a handful of times (which we have already currently, with nightly GM smurfstacks ruining bronze matches).

If the reset is done properly, placements will sieve the vulnerables away from the predators VERY quickly. Within a few games, you’re having winners play winners in a kind of winners bracket that projects you out into diamond somewhere. Vice-versa for the bronze/silvers.

1 Like

You are resetting MMR.

So everyone will be at zero…

Anyone could be in your games. . You figure it out.

Old players would just return to stomp noobs legitimately becasue everyone would be the same rank to start

MMR reset sounds snazzy on paper. Like hero bans and many other ideas… but in reality, using a little logic, there is a reason they haven’t done it… because it would be really dumb

But receipts… id prefer not to discuss with you, you are a conspiracy theorist that thinks the game is rigged. . All because you don’t understand patents lol.

I wouldn’t discuss traffic laws with a 5 year old…

For the first game, yes. People are randomly and naively thrown into a match, with a GM having a 1% chance of being drawn from the population and a bronze a 7% chance. But the winners of that first placement fight other winners of their first placement, and so on. So the chances of a GMs encountering bronzes just goes down exponentially.

You don’t get these claims of “repeated disruption”, “chaos for months” or anything else we currently see every day on no-rest live (years and years of it). You don’t get that with a reset because it’s just not statistically possible. The mixing in and of itself minimizes the trajectory disruption for the maximum number of people.

They don’t do it because of player perception and GM/content discord groupthink. They don’t do it for psychological and content clickbait reasons. But ladder reset is very much an exercise in math. It works a lot like sorting algs, binary partition schemes, etc.

Ok…so the rest of your argument is a character attack, uses no math/calcs to get technical, or explain your “logic”, and dismisses a working discussion on how to better the ladder for the majority of players. And you forget that my education, work experience and credentials totally qualify me to comment on ladder design and patents. Nice. No wonder there isn’t any progress.

1 Like

what is the difference between an mmr reset and a sr one. they both always confused me

While I could agree to this for your main roles… resetting the mmr of everyone’s off-roles would be an absolute nightmare that would last for several months afterwards…

There are 4 categories here.

• MMR reset, no SR reset.
  • SR reset, no MMR reset.
  • Both MMR and SR reset.
  • Neither MMR nor SR reset.

The only reset that actually matters is both/total reset of SR and MMR. But frankly, even that won’t matter after 100 days or so, because MMR rigging ruins ladder integrity just as much as no-resets and alts (of any kind) do. Adapting to hidden performance, cherry-picking teams, analyzing performance and match odds, rigging for 50/50 outcome expectation - i.e. rigging the game into a sham - is fundamentally wrong. So you can’t really talk about resets and ladder integrity if you’re just going to maintain MMR rigging. Similarly, resets become somewhat moot after several weeks, if you’re going to let people compete on the ladder more than once.

1 Like

A hard MMR reset would not be a problem in the long term if they have a good matchmaking system, say a GM gets into a placement with Bronzes and drops 70 kills, he then gets matched with a similar individual who is doing their placements with those kill numbers.

In the long term, I can agree.

In the short to mid term it would be utter chaos and not worth the damage it does.

NET POSITIVES

I never said the game is rigged either so you are putting words into my mouth and smurfs wouldn’t be a problem if it was a bannable offence or they had a better matchmaking system.

No not you. The strange “person” that replied called reciepts. He is odd.

he is a <500sr player who thinks a reset is going to help him… lol

Before someone says “would kill the game” that’s just not true. Look at Fortnite-there’s a hard reset in competitive and rumours that normal games mmr is reset as well every single season. Look at Fortnite on Twitch - 128.3k viewers during a period when some of the big names aren’t even live. Meanwhile Overwatch has 16k…

Oh right, my apologies

MMR should not be used it’s a terrible metric that is unfair and enables rigging.

In the edge-case 70 k/d elims GM example, that player converts a win, and goes into their next match against other players who also converted wins. They might have a diamond over there, and this time the GM only pulls 10 k/d because the competition has increase NATURALLY (i.e. without a hidden performance examination and adaptive teams for/against him i.e. rigging). The GM probably wins another game, but finally rolls into a placement facing winners of winners of winners vs. There he takes a close but unlucky loss but still had a good k/d, so you can accord him PBSR and match him with others who went: 1110*

It’s quite easy to partition your player base into their seed SR for the current season using only win/loss strings like 1101011. Using the right combinatorial design, some of the matches are placebos and confirms (not sorts), and rightfully so. Note also the later placements rarely involve the GM vs. bronzes (more likely to get hit by lightning). And by like match 10 you’re already within 300sr of where you belong.

An MMR reset is one that let’s you place anywhere. An sr reset is one that puts you all the way back to bronze.

See below… He has already gone to rigging lol.

1 Like

SR/MMR reset puts everyone as new entrant with no data trail. Your MMR is the median your SR is the median. And since the fundamental assumption is that skill follows a symetric normal pdf, these medians are also the mean.

MMR really shouldn’t exist tbh. It’s not your payout metric, it’s not your rank metric. It exists only to rig matches (for 50/50 “fAiRnEsS” or “BaLaNcE”) - which is completely preposterous for a ladder - because rigging is literally the definition of anti-competitive and fake contest.

So back in 2019, comp was bugged (role queue implementation, I believe), and it looked like a MMR/SR reset from the player’s perspective.

It was chaos. No one was happy about it. Not the GMs, not the bronzes, not the Chois. Here’s a forum thread from that time period.

It was pretty obvious it was a bug after Choihyobin (SF Shock off tank, rank 1 previous season) got 2 SR after a win, but until then, it was ridiculous.

1 Like

They don’t want to do that they don’t care

Not like we already have thousand of smurfs anyway…

With blizzard almost throwing out free accounts every now and then.