Competitive Matchmaking - Fixed 50% win rate is true (Love Overwatch but hate playing it)

I was actually above it a few days ago and now I’m back down to 45% after hitting a HARD wall of losing streaks. 7 yesterday and won only 3 games but lost 9 total.

What is going on with this game? It’s not fun when the teams are just getting steam rolled.

3 Likes

Same. Was consistently climbing, since the anniversary event I’m more than -100SR and counting.

1 Like

I already have high anxiety enough as it is with my career and family so the few hours I actually get the chance to play this game just seems like a waste of time.

I love your game blizzard but the worst part about it is actually playing it. There is nothing worse than knowing I spent the last 4 hours barely squeezing out a win or two when I could have been doing something better with my time.

Something needs to be done about competitive matchmaking. I keep on telling myself it’s going to get better every season but it hasn’t.

The only time I really had fun in a season was during 5 because I solely focused on Mercy and got really high into Master rank. Cannot do that again anymore because I’m stuck struggling between gold and plat.

2 Likes

(4) Overwatch Forums “In Overwatch, whether your MMR goes up or down is contingent on winning or losing. But there are a number of factors that determine how much that rating goes up or down.”
(7) Overwatch Forums
(23) Overwatch Forums
(32) Overwatch Forums
(47) Twitch

1 Like

My last game that I played was a game where the opposing team had NO healers and we had a full 222 setup and just got steam rolled.

Did I somehow get placed with players that just don’t give a crap about ranking up and will have to wait until next season to try once again?

It isn’t. There is no forced anything.

Now, two things.

1. Repeating it over and over does not, in fact, make it true

2. Learn about statistical averages and what a bell curve is.

Even if this were true, you somehow thing the Matchmaker algorithm knows this?

Seriously?

1 Like

If you are winning more than loosing, you are likely better than your enemies, so you should be put against better players. Now that you got used to easy wins, you get beaten by players who are likely the same skill range as you.
Also, “getting steam rolled” just means the team knows how to capitalize upon the mistakes you make. This does not necessarily means a team is much better than the other.

1 Like

My best advice so far, take small steps towards your SR.

Usually the first few matches are the roughest, mostly due to if you lose SR your emotions can get best of you immediately, might have unfortunate situations, but stay positive, play your best next match, do everything you possibly can all while making sure your team stays in positive mindset.

Give props to your teammates on successful holds, believe in them, as they can be your teammates next game as well, make friends with them so you can climb the ladder together, even while Solo Que.

Once you surpassed your SR, take a break, relax, make sure you feel 100% ready for next match regardless of win or lose, you know you can play your best.

Sometimes if you win your first 2 games, take a break come back in few hours repeat the process, and If you lose 2, try your best to win next 3 then take a break.

Also if you passed people on your friendlist, tell them gl wish them the best next match, same goes for those on enemy team, sometimes they have issues as well, positivity can go long way, make sure everyone in match is having a good time, cause that’s what its all about, having fun and making friends. Possibly might be paired with them next match, Hope this helps!

1 Like

In a way, I think events contribute to the losses - like I do believe there’s a fixed winrate, but also a lot of people who don’t play regularly are hanging around trying to get loot. Which hey…I get it, but it’s also maddening to deal with because I notice a higher frequency of poor decision-making and lower levels that drop off once an event ends. Throw in a free weekend and the game might as well be closed for non-casuals for three days. It sucks.

Yes my friends, there is hardly anyone now that doesn’t know the matchmaker is rig. If you are in a game and say this statement “I get to season high and then have loss streak” everyone start to say “yes me too, this matchmaker is rigged” and then this upheaval is to begin… now they are trying to ban anyone who talks about this rigged matchmaker. Well good luck, becuase you will need to ban 20,000,000 people my friends.

It’s easy to believe in a forced 50% winrate if you know little about statistics. If you’re getting matched with a playerbase which equals your own skill, across multiple matches, then you are bound to get a 50-50 chance of winning or losing.

Obviously, as you climb higher in rank you will be matched with more and more difficult opponents, until you come to a point where the players you’re being matched with (across multiple matches) are as equally-skilled as you are. It’s at that point you’ll start getting 50-50 chances of winning.

It’s rather arrogant to believe that you’re so good at the game that if you win games you should just keep winning and climb non-stop. It’s easier to blame a “rigged” system, than to face the reality of statistical laws.

1 Like

If Fixed 50% winrate is truly true. Then why can people climb to begin with, as well as every top 500 player having 50%+ winrate. Don’t give me the “Because they’re top 500, they’re so good” argument. They are playing against other high level, highly skilled players.

1 Like

ever considered you climbed to a place where people are better than you and that’s why you lose?

1 Like

Exactly. Like I said, it’s rather self-absorbed for someone to think they’re so good at the game that all they should be doing is climb, climb, climb until they get to the top.

Who knows? MAYBE there is a “forced” 50% winrate. But winning in 50% of matches is not good evidence for that, it’s just statistics at work.

If someone can leak us some program code from Blizzard’s matchmaking system which shows a definite “forced” 50% winrate, then that would be evidence I’ll take seriously. Otherwise, right now it’s all just speculation.

Nothing about match making is rigged.
First off, they don’t have to bother to do it. I know people want to think there is this deep next level Skynet AI at work vs a much more realistic player A with MMR 2220 vs player B with MMR 2180. That’s it, that’s your match maker more or less.
Second, they are making 100s of millions of dollars off the esport side of the game and they are not going to risk all of that to hold a random gold, in gold, just for “reasons”. Nothing would kill the game faster than finding out a comp system was fixing games.

Then of course there is the issue of how VOD reviews completely destroys the idea of players at SR _______ playing at the same level, in the same way as +1 tier higher players but still can’t climb. I mean it just obliterates that delusion with one match.

No what happen in game is player are not consistent in their game play and the lower the SR, the lest consistent the payer. So that’s why you get these huge swings from game to game. Also player like to think their season high is their default level, it’s not, at all. It’s your best game on your best night of all the best week if your total time playing Overwatch. It’s not your average game.

1 Like

knock on wood

Now I’m on updraft of wins today. This is going to be so until I get to 51% of wins and then drop down hideously yet again because the game forces the 50% win rate.

For me it’s like this: (Solo) First game we roll the Team, next game we get rolled, then next game is an ez win again and it keeps going like this forever.