Competitive match disconnected and did not let me rejoin

1. Competitive game threw me out, as if connection was lost or something. I haven’t really been DC’d ever before, so I don’t know how a proper DC looks like but this seemed as if the client was acting up.
  2. Couldn’t rejoin the match.
  3. Internet connection was fine.
  4. Restarted the client, then there was client was showing “match found”, but nothing happened and still couldn’t rejoin. I could still see and write in team and game chat.
    I did lose an endorsement level and got temporarily suspended.

It is the first time anything like this has happened to me. If it is a bug on Your side, I hope this information helps you with finding and squashing it.

2 Likes

Disconnections happen for a variety of reasons. Based on your description this is more likely an issue related outside of Blizzard servers and more likely a connection drop out between you and the game server. The penalty still applies in this case because there is no way to determine if the connection was an accident or deliberately created by a dishonest player, and helps encourage those who have repeating issues to stop playing Competitive where the game needs to be taken seriously.

If this was a first time incident, best not to worry and just play a few games of quick play to ensure there are no further disconnection issues. If you find you are disconnecting frequently avoid Competitive Play and try to work through these starting troubleshooting steps:

2 Likes

Had a similar experience. Here’s a link with video

1 Like

Hello, the same thing happened to me, it’s the 4th time I’m disconnected from my ranked for no reason (my connection was stable and I’m on ethernet cable, fiber…), so I lost 200 rank points and I’m banned for 8 hours, and it’s going to go up again, even though there’s nothing I can do about it (I’m not the only one who’s been doing it lately), so I’m no longer allowed to play in the ranked games for fear of being banned permanently…

2 Likes

Regardless of whether I’m the one that leaves, or something beyond my control kicks me out, I should still be able to rejoin the game. When this happens (second time for me) I’m given no option to rejoin. However both times, I can still type to my team in team chat from the team select screen that I get booted to. That seems more server side than client side to me.

I’m running a pretty good computer, all the most up-to-date patches with 1 Gbps on Cat 6 ethernet cable. I just have my doubts that this is a client side issue.

2 Likes

Understand that if disconnected at the start, the match cancels and you cannot rejoin. Furthermore, if a disconnection is merely a matter of severe latency, the game behaves in the way that you are describing (stuck on intro screen, even on a rejoin). And remember its not always just you or just the game server, more often than not it is in between (your ISP and their network partners).

Please try to not bump topics that are several months old.

1 Like

sigh happened again. I get the concept of offering basic networking advice on troubleshooting but that doesn’t resolve the issue of not being able to get in. I’ve got screenshots of me talking to the team and the entire match after I’ve been DC’d.

I can live with being DC’d, that’s going to happen, but not being able to rejoin when I never actually lose connectivity is kinda terrible.

2 Likes

Same thing happening to me. It happens like at least once every 12 games, which is not frequent enough to stop me from playing but frequent enough to be super annoying. I was kicked from my comp game, and instantly temp-banned with no opportunity to rejoin. I was able to talk to my entire team through chat, and see the global chat from the game, while being on the loading screen. There is no reason I shouldn’t be able to rejoin after being disconnected. How does not allowing people to rejoin resolve malicious/purposeful leaving? It just makes it impossible for the player to join back and save their team from losing a game on comp.

I’m reviving this post because there’s not many instances of this bug on the internet, and it’s possible someone here has found a fix.

1 Like

You are not alone in experiencing this bug. Here’s a link to my post in case you’d like to read more about this issue: Comprehensive Thread Of All Top 500/Competitive Bugs. I put your thread under: Competitive Match Disconnection And Temporary Ban. Any help in spreading the word about this megathread and other related threads would be greatly appreciated.