Competitive is less competitive than QP

I decided to do my placements today for this season for the sole reason the reward spray/Profile Pic are Mei related. I played alot of competitive up until Genji was overtuned and I stuck to QP while I waited for him to be nerfed before realizing not being forced to play the god awful 2cp maps made my enjoyment infinitely better. So I played pretty much only QP from when Genji was busted last year to now minus 1 or 2 seasons for placements.

What happened, Seriously? Was it the priority tickets that did this? I have ranks being matched that make 0 sense, people not remotely playing as a team. Smurfs seemingly actively throwing on your team and then flaming you all while cluttering the voice coms with “lol so random I’m a funny” nonsense (if you know you know). Sure this happened before but it was never 99% of matches.

My first match had 3 golds, me unranked, 2 diamonds and then 7 platinums. Why on earth are golds and diamonds being matched together? Then there was literally 0 resemblance of any teamplay from both teams. My tanks and Genji were pretty much in their spawn just spawn killing them while their team was getting rolled (this happened in 3 different matches).

Meanwhile over in quickplay, we have people playing the META and actually having a basic understanding of playing as a team. Is this normal? At what point did the game go from “we are going to play comp to play competitively” to “we are here to meme”. I got ranked at 2600 SR so this is above average and this is how the game plays. Yesterday I had a QP match where I had 2 top 500’s and the enemy had 1, we were all having fun in chat and it was still infinitely more competitive than every single match combined that I just played today.

I played 6 competitive games today, 1 of which felt like an actual competitive game. This also isn’t me being salty because I lost all of them because I won 5. When I play comp I have a basic expectation that it’s going to be a somewhat serious environment and it just isn’t anymore. Can anyone give me insight as to why or when this happened?

3 Likes

The only difference between comp and QP is that people in comp know the relative rank of the people they are matched with and against. (and back-fill obviously)

This is happening in QP as well - you just aren’t privy to that information.

Ultimately, The ladder has been screwed for a long time and is plagued by trolls and those that don’t really care. The only reason to play is for golden weapons and that really isn’t much of an incentive.

5 Likes

This I don’t agree with. If the only incentive to play a game is golden weapons, they you should really consider why you are even playing in the first place.

I personally play because the game is fun and I want to improve, which is what ranked offers

1 Like

This happened when Blizzard implemented a version of Activision’s Matchmaker in Overwatch, and decided to use it for Competitive Play. The Matchmaker algorithmically handicaps every game, ruining the integrity of competition and ranking. More information in my thread on the subject:

1 Like

You missed the point entirely. If your counter arguement for QP being less competitive than competitive is saying that the terrible disparity in MMR happens the same way it does in both modes, that is not an argument in favour of comp being more competitive. It just shows how bad it has gotten. I can forgive high gold and low plat being matches together or this for any 2 ranks, low gm to M etc.since this obviously makes sense. But there should not be golds and diamonds in the same game in a competitive environment and the match I played showed. you know where I said my tanks were in their spawn with our genji trying to spawn kill? Guess which were the gold players. Meanwhile the diamond playing Ashe sat with the supports because they know that you don’t push up to the spawn door on Hollywood because you picked 1 person. Out Bap was having to go way out of position just to keep these people alive who would’ve been hard feeding would it not be for the enemy being just as chaotic as us. (I will note the tanks weren’t Winston, Dva or Ball, they were Rein and Zarya so it wasn’t like they were playing dive and the rest of us weren’t).

But my issue is it isn’t. My comp matches were not even remotely competitive. It felt like I was playing modern warfare on headquarters where 90% of the team just went off doing their own thing. Meanwhile in QP people are actually playing as a team. This is a massive issue since competitive should be where you go for a serious match.

It was pretty bad compared to other games when I used to play last year, but it was just outright unenjoyable. Is this seriously what comp has devolved into because if so I fear for OW2?

2 Likes

You’ve misunderstood my post. I agree with you.

Golden weapons are the only reward/payout that is certain. I suppose borders count, too.

What other incentives are there? Rank? That’s fake and rigged and alt-infested and no-reset. Personal glory/skill? That’s MMR and you’ll never see where you stand. To get better/learn? That’s not comp exclusive, you can do that in casual modes.

So yeah no. GGs are the only thing you can count on if you win enough.

That’s why most players are in their correct ranks? Good players can easily climb to their intended ranks. Others that believe they are stuck just don’t put any time in to improve and instead keep complaining about everything other than themselves. People just want a scapegoat to why they aren’t ranking up.

Damn, I didn’t know you could get better by slaying AFK bots in Casual. We both know that barely anybody tries in Casual. It’s litteraly casual for a reason.

Improve yourself and make less mistakes = win. As simple as that

1 Like

It is probably the largest influencing factor, but in general, as a game ages and people leave it, the remaining community is usually… less than desirable.

3 Likes