Cheers to Four Years: Dev Memories of Overwatch

I look forward to the followup article in 4-5 years “Dev memories of Overwatch 2”

6 Likes

The ride has been an eventful one, certainly. When you guys were hyping up this new setting, the first new Blizzard IP in years, it was a masterful campaign. I was onboard from the get-go. I loved the story and the designs, and everything was executed with enough gusto to really make it all work.

A bright cyberpunk superhero universe (that I think could use a little more “super”) is just a fun setting. And then you delivered on the hype with an absolute masterclass in character appeal, fun and frenetic gameplay, and hints of that old Blizzard flair.

Those of us who are still here, even if we complain sometimes, are here because we’ve seen the greatness at the core of this whole thing and we want more!

Cheers, loves. The world could always use more heroes!

6 Likes

Such an amazing game that still holds up and excels after 4 entire years. Congrats to the Overwatch team. And the end of that article- with Jeff talking about the moments leading up to the announcement combined with the video he took- I could even feel butterflies in my stomach and I wasn’t even there. Can’t imagine what it must feel like to work on something so secret for so long and then announce it to millions. Really sweet moment. Congrats again guys!

4 Likes

Awesome post,

I went back and watched the 2014 announcement trailer after reading it. Teared up a little, I love this game.

4 Likes

beautiful article :heart: I wanna see Jeff Kaplan singing the pokemon theme (maybe next dev update? Please? :relieved:)

Ohhhhhh “Blizzard Entertainment”… I wish I could believe this. I really Really do…

You guys did one hell of a job. Can’t thank you guys enough for this wonderful game you brought to us.

On the other hand, I wish there were more proof of devs being human beings too. Isolating yourselves from the playerbase 100% didn’t do the community any good.

2 Likes

4 years and there is no game that is remotely close to be overwatch replacement ( except overwatch 2 )

2 Likes

I like stuff like this and seeing the humans behind the art. After my three years of play, I’ve developed a close and personal relationship with Overwatch. It’s far and away the best 3D shooter I’ve ever played. The art, aesthetics, character development and lore of the game appeal to the part of my brain that grabs eye candy by the handfuls. It’s love at first sight with a pretty lady. The mechanics, network coding, and everything else that “makes it work” is a separate a marvel in itself that should not go unnoticed.

Thank you, Overwatch team, for building a platform to spend quality time with my kids, friends and the occasional lonesome beer. I thank you again for your uncompromising vision of quality that makes this game special after so long.

3 Likes

To me, nothing else compares to OW. Legitimately, nothing. This game has been a ray of sunshine in my life when I needed it most and has brought me countless hours of fun and many good friends.

Thanks, dev team! You really made a masterpiece. Congrats on another year :smile:

4 Likes

Nothing will be like Overwatch. Such a unique game, so glad to have been here for so much of the game’s life.

5 Likes

This is literally my first post. Just wanted to let the dev team know that I love this game. I understand that it’s hard to provide fresh content such as heroes and maps continiously but I love your recent approaches like the experimental mode. Looking forward to all the new stuff that’s coming. Stay safe :+1:

4 Likes

A worthy first post.

I too love this game, though as much as I love it… I mourn it.

2 Likes

Despite the current issues of queue times and tank balance, Overwatch is still an amazing fast FPS shooter with unique heroes. Thank you devs.

1 Like

This has been my favorite multiplayer game of all time. Thanks for everything y’all brought to this, Overwatch team. I still play often and I’m looking forward to the future of the franchise.

2 Likes

Wow, time sure does fly!

I’ll never forget working at the first Overwatch Blizzcon demo. At the time we only had 12 heroes and 3 maps but the pure joy and excitement on everyone’s faces after they played the demo and jumped back in line again and again was overwhelmingly beautiful.

A heartfelt thank you to the Overwatch community for an amazing four years and really bringing this game to life with your thoughtful involvement and passion! Looking forward to many more.

38 Likes

Overwatch 2 at Summer of Gaming or Summer Game Fest?

1 Like

Valorant ain’t got a thang on Overwatch.

Maybe you could give us a little hinty hint on Overwatch 2 :slight_smile:?

Thank you and the rest of the developers for my favorite game! To make the game even better, here are three ideas:

• Comp Mystery Heroes
  • Comp 2-2-2 Mystery Roles/Heroes
  • Fix SR Gained/Lost for Swapping Heroes
1 Like