Chat randomly opening

This bug seems to have existed since launch, I have only seen it twice so it’s rare for me, but others seem to have it far more often, like every minute. Anyway while in game the chat box will randomly open as if you pressed “enter” meaning your character will be stuck and can’t move until hitting escape to exit to chat box. Any ideas of what can be causing this?

1 Like

I have this problem too, on PC. I’m playing like usual, then out of nowhere, the chat box opens and I’m typing “wwwwwddddddddd” in chat. It’s usually in hectic team fights, too, so I have to quickly hit my Escape key to be able to move again.

It’s happened twice within two weeks.

I’ve confirmed that my only buttons to open chat are Enter and numpad Enter.

I have no idea why this keeps happening. Is it a bug?

I’ve had this bug/glitch/problem for 3 years now, maybe even longer and there is no fix on the internet as it seems to be a niche, yet common problem that no one has figured out.

It seemed to come out of nowhere and stuck. I don’t remember doing anything different when I realised it was happening.
Is there a fix to the text chat opening randomly? What is this bug?!

When I’m playing the chatbox just opens randomly with seemingly no reason, and not just once but sometimes 4-6 times in a row, one after another from closing them. And, almost every time I play overwatch, I think it gets worse over time.
It seems to be almost trolling me as well because I would be in an intense fight or setting something up, and get trolled by the chat glitch stopping all my movement, whilst I struggle to close the chat and stay alive.

I know I’m pressing it by accident because my only typing button is “Enter”.
I even tested it out by removing the text chat box key-bind altogether, but the text box would come up and I was even more screwed.
I know I’m not doing this myself, I believe this not to be a human error.

Is there a fix?