Can't Bind LMB to Movement controls

With today’s update (2/19/2019) 1.33.0.1 I can no longer bind the LMB to the Left movement control. This is a binding I’ve had since purchasing the game two years ago, and which I’ve used in other first person shooters since Doom. Needless to say, I’m very adapted to this setup, and trying to change back to defaults is going to hurt me and my team. Please, please, please allow this keybinding again.

(I expect this is related to the attempted fix of the Hero Rotation problem in the Hero Gallery. If so, I’d rather not be able to rotate heroes and have this keybinding than the other way around. Also, there was a time where I had both. Can we get back to those good old days?)

Edit: Feb 24, 2019 - I’ve been checking multiple times every day to see if this functionality, that has been there from the release of the game until 1.33.0.1 has been restored. Please, let me use this again. I’m using my thumb on a button on the side of the mouse for my Left Strafe, because trying to adjust to defaults was getting me killed, repeatedly.

I know someone who is also having this problem. Please tell me if you find a way around this update.

I have exactly the same problem… and without this… i cannot play to Overwatch anymore. Gentlemens the developers, I would ask you to reset this so that players can continue to use the left click for movements.
Otherwise you may see a lot of players … just leave the game.
This would be a shame I think.

@Ivanohe
Unfortunately, that will most likely not happen, since binding movement to LMB caused other issues, such as rotating gallery items.

If you really want to use LMB for movement (which is still pretty unusual in FPS games compared to the classic WASD), there are applications out there that can make that happen by simply remapping the mouse button to a keyboard key.

@Finity They are developpers, explain why we can do this in many fps for seeing the characters and weapons…(Unreal Tournament before… for example) And in Overwatch, developers cannot arrive to resolve this?.. Seriously?.. Or they aren’t competent enough for resolve this little problem?

Are you kidding?.. It isn’t players adapt to the FPS game… But the game adapting to the players and their configuration of movements…
And explain me why… before when the game came on the market in 2016… They haven’t bugs of Heroes Gallery for they turn characters on 360° and not problem for configuration of commands. All what they doing with this kind of restrictive configuration it’s a part of the community turning to another game… but i think it’s not the leadership policy of Blizzard… right?

Now, Gentlemen the developers and Mr. Kaplan, I think it would be good to react quickly to solve this problem of assigning keys on pain of seeing your game desert become a “dead game”. Thanking you for doing the necessary, I send you my best regards.

Olivier Boissard ALIAS Ivanohe

@Ivanohe
It WAS possible in OW as well, until it was discovered that other features were negatively affected. :slight_smile:
UT was great but had issues so it wasn’t exactly perfect either.

I’m pretty sure they could solve it, and probably will somewhere in the future. It’s just not a (high) priority at the moment, one reason being that it’s only used by a fraction of the playerbase.

No, I actually don’t think the popularity of the game is at risk at all just because you can’t (natively) assign LMB to movement. As mentioned, if you really want to divert from WASD, which has been the default layout in FPSs since the 90s, there are tools to remap the mouse button.

@Finity OK, but do you think of his players who just want to be able to play and not bother having to “remap” as you say all the buttons under the pretext that Blizzard and his developers decided that way?

It’s been since 2016 that I’m on Overwatch, I bought the collector’s edition Day One and I’m a customer who is a bit of a … “pidgeot” … I actually use my CC to buy skins unpublished at each event … in other words I am a good customer for them … And I find it scandalous that they are in “we dont care” mode … we will develop more skins and new emojis and I go to the place of solving some minor problems but that may handicap some of the community of players who would like to play our game with their configuration…
And all those who are in my case? Who are unhappy customers because Blizzard changes and replaces again under the pretext that they have decided this way (without having asked before to the community) and who handicaps these players. Do you find that normal?

Me not in any case … and I find it sad that they do not care at this point! … In any case until they solve this problem of keys … they will not have any more my money, neither my praise, nor my good comments … a shame for them said that I wanted to start to stream on this beautiful game. Well, they will lose a new Swiss streamer.

Shame on them !

So, whoever at Blizzard convinced the team to allow binding of the LMB to movement controls, and got rotating the Hero working again in the Hero Gallery, THANK YOU! I’d been checking periodically to see if this was back so I could stop using the mouse key remapping tool I’d gotten to get my control set back. Being able to use my controls without remapping is great. Thanks again.