Can we stop deleting the quotes out of responses?

im getting pretty tired of having to requote something because it gets auto edited, removing the original quote.

The forum system automatically edits your response if you quote the entire post. This is intended behavior to combat spam. Instead, quote only the important part you’re responding to. Others can click the quote to scroll up and read the original, so there is no need to include all of it.

i think your intentions miss the mark.
not only does it not prevent spam since you can just edit the post and requote it, but many posts make a single point.
when on a busy thread, one should be able to highlight what they are responding to no?
if I respond to someone who posted a two line statement, quoting all 20 words is not exactly something that can be avoided, especially if said person has responded in said thread multiple times.

Spam doesn’t just mean bad actors on the forum, it also means visual clutter. Keep in mind that they use this forum system across all of their game titles, and individual forums within. If an entire post could be quoted quickly, the story discussion areas (and others) on the game forums would get out of hand quickly.

Sure it is. Only quote a portion of it as I’ve done here. The quote links back to the post, so anyone can quickly jump to it for context.

The initial warning to not quote the entire post is usually enough to waive people off from doing so. If you choose to ignore the warning and edit the post so it does that anyway, it might be viewed as a misuse of the system. That would be up to Blizzard to decide.

In any case, it’s been like this for many years and it’s not a common complaint.

then let me pose you a question. you can un-collapse a partial quote, why not auto collapse whole quotes instead of just deleting it? like how are you gonna sit there and tell me you chose to delete part of my post and that its working as intended?

this is an example of why its not. the entire thing I quoted is relevant, no?

youre joking right? you think deleting part of my post with no comment is a warning?
and fixing what appears to be a mistake is potentially enough to have action taken against you?
are you high? I know its not exactly your job but come on, does that not seem complete bs?

having 6 players per team has also been like that for many years and literally no one complained but here we are…

It’s been this way since the new forum system was implemented over 4(?) years ago. The staff often uses the quoting system, so they would have addressed it by now if this isn’t the intended behavior.

There’s a miscommunication here. Previously, you would get a message alert in the top right that told you the system edited your post (an auto warning). I don’t quote entire posts, so I haven’t seen the recent implementation. My opinion on how it works is irrelevant since I have no hand in its design.

Not entirely true, but that’s a convo for #general-discussion. :slight_smile:

But that makes no sense. There is literally a “quote all” button whenever making a reply.

Like, I get the intent, but when there’s a feature literally made to do that, its a little inconsistent to suddenly start enforcing a rule against using it.

Hmm, I don’t see that on my UI, maybe my adblocker is picking it up.

No one said they will suddenly start enforcing a rule, or even that it is an official rule. I briefly mentioned that the forum system doesn’t want full posts quoted, and that is the end of my input on the matter. If Blizzard wanted changes to the forum system, they would work with the company that develops them to make it happen.

For me it’s right next to the Bold and Italics button on the UI.

https:// prnt.sc/1vwy1w4

Apologies if I came off as rude. I was just commenting that it just doesn’t make sense to have such a feature, then go out of your way to implement a completely different feature that removes it.

My adblocker was removing it and shifting buttons to the left.

You make a fair point. I’ll reach out and mention this mismatch of principles, but since D2R stuff is still a mess they may not address it anytime soon.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.