Can we please nerf Earth Shatter?

If the enemy team has a Rein, and you do not, you are at a distinct disadvantage.

A lot of this is due to the ease and power of shatter against a team with little to no barrier. Getting off a shatter is essentially a free team fight in many scenarios.

Simply put, the ability needs more limitations now that barriers have been nerfed.

He demands a mirror match. Because if the enemy has a Rein, the best thing you can do is have one yourself.

55 Likes

If the other team has a Rein and you don’t, you’ll need to not play together on the ground. Divide and conquer.

That means some variant of Dva, Winston, Ball, Widow, Genji, Tracer, Ashe, Hanzo, Doom, Pharah. Supports can be anything as long as they heal the team.

Rein doesn’t require a mirror match. But if you play like you have a Rein, as in face to face combat, you better have an orisa or something because you’re just asking to get crushed. Shatter isn’t OP, but if you play right into it…

45 Likes

Orisa and Sigma have to play into it with their paper thin barriers.

They’re not mobile.

And heaven forbid you get non-barrier tanks against him. Even if you spread out, he can still get free kills.

At some point, you have to get on the control point.

31 Likes

Don’t nerf Rein, buff the other Tanks. You probably forgot about them at this point but they exist and they are UP, pls buff Winston, Orisa, and Sigma. End of Story.

23 Likes

I say we allow genji to deflect earthshatter.

7 Likes

If the other tanks all need buffs, Rein is by default OP.

His stats certainly support that hypothesis too.

10 Likes

Rein is the only balanced tank, he is not op the others are just up. His stats are only so good because NO OTHER TANK IS BEING PLAYED. It’s not because he is OP its because the DPS line just denies any other barrier tank from getting the same value a Rein can.

16 Likes

That’s actually not the solution – the last thing we want is double barrier meta where most heroes have zero chance of actually hitting anyone.

5 Likes

They don’t have to over do it, just give them SOMETHING, ANYTHING as long as its some kind of buff. Look, I don’t want another Double barrier but I also want to play Sigma again so just give them any kind of buff.

3 Likes

I don’t think Sigma is actually that bad. He’s just eclipsed because what team wants Sigma when you could have Reinhardt barrier?

Sigma still offers a lot, and the buff to his air speed during his ultimate was a great buff to let him make some plays.

2 Likes

Yes it was but, as you said, why have a Sigma when you could have a Rein. That is what most people think about and because of that I am forced to play Rein in 9/10 instances. This isn’t because Rein is overtuned its just because the others can’t deal with the DPS with their shields like Rein can. I am not a Sigma main and do enjoy playing Rein I would just rather Tanks get buffs than DPS or Rein getting nerfed (except you Sombra, you can go to hell).

4 Likes

Rein is fine, the other tanks are just too weak.

2 Likes

One-shot ultimates are ok, but low damage stuns are not. I’ll never understand that logic.

3 Likes

I’d rather see more options to Earthshatter be introduced rather than simply nerf Earthshatter. The ultimate itself is well balanced and on a fair character as well, I’m not convinced Rein needs any big changes. A nerf would need a buff, and I can’t imagine a place in his kit where you can make him better and not be obnoxious about it.

Something to resist stuns or cleanse stuns, it’s something the game has needed for awhile. I think an AOE ability that negates stuns would be, well, a perfectly fine tanking ability, especially if it was an off-tank. At the very least, an ultimate that includes that effect, would be nice. It would give something for Rein to look out for that isn’t a mirror match.

That said, there’s already a number of ways to mitigate Earthshatter’s effectiveness. Barriers, stuns, boops, ultimates, mass healing, spread-out comps, all of these can get in the way of Earthshatter and either pressure Rein to not use it, or risk losing it entirely.

Really not that simple though.

When Orisa and Sigma are more meta than Rein, they completely dominate because they drop barriers and do everything else they do because they don’t have to just hold up barrier.

Now, we see when their barriers aren’t as relevant you pretty much always want a Reinhardt simply to hold up shield and do a fat shatter.

There’s an underlying design problem in this game with barriers in general.

3 Likes

Pretty much, it’s like picking your own poison.

However I personally would rather deal with Rein than Orisa and Sigma. The only solution I see is to either buff Orisa or Sigma but not both.

Honestly the game really did not need a third barrier tank, Sigma brought nothing but problems.

It’s almost like Rein received buffs while the other tanks were harshly nerfed or something. Rein is absolutely op within ult, his has vertical AOE that is invisible plus the fact it goes up and down terrain, goes through payload.

Then you have Charge which is a vacuum because the devs can’t figure how to code collusion properly within the engine. Nothing says yep Rein earned that charge like A never seeing your character model even on his charge, just dead. Or B which is my personal fav, watching your character model spazz out prior to the charge because even it’s hitbox can’t figure where it’s been touched. Rein is a mess of op issues.

3 Likes

Actually, I think it would be interesting if Doomfists Seismic slam could stop Earth Shatter in its tracks if done just right.

2 Likes

The thing about Reinhardt is that there is not a single tank in the game that does what he does better.

He can facilitate a push better than Orisa or Sigma, his barrier is the most mobile and on demand, and his damage is consistent

He’s a stereotypical Tank, which oddly in this case makes him the single best Tank in the game

Yes, and if you have destroyed their team around the Rein, he will be at a disadvantage on the numbers and thus easy to mow down.

Rein isn’t mobile either. Pin is a mobile ability that you can move out of the way of, and he can be killed during as he provides nothing to his team while pinning (if he misses).

If you run a non-barrier tank against any of Winston, Orisa, or Rein you will likely lose. Because main tanks are important.

Any hero can get kills while spread out. If Rein is getting kills then he’s not holding his shield up which means you can easily do damage to him and anyone behind him. He’s a huge target, with a massive hitbox, and if he’s playing dumb he’s easy to farm. If he’s playing defensive and only holds his shield up, then you need to break the shield. If he’s playing well, then kudos to him.

Is Rein the best tank in the game? Yes. Does Orisa need some help? Yes, I think so. Is Earthshatter OP? Absolutely not. It’s easy to counter (you don’t NEED a rein although it is the most efficient way to do it) and requires some skill to land.