Can we hide borders already?

OW is a horrible experience every game due to my diamond border. Every game starts with harassment from spawn and runs through the whole match. Doesn’t matter the rank, plat, gold, silver, constant harassment. Have a friend who gets it in diamond. …plat border in diamond game means he should be harassed and rank shamed?

If the harassment is from within my own team, guaranteed loss because they are now more concerned about talking trash about my border. If the harassment is from the enemy, it often ends up with them literally chasing me around in the game just be jerks, and laughing about it in match chat.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! Let us hide borders! I know it’s coming with OW2, but how hard can it be to give the option now? I just want to play the game without a target on me. I can barely play the game like this. Sucks that I have to play on a new account just to have a halfway decent experience.

I can give as much as I take, and can snap back (which sometimes leads to me being the bad guy somehow), but I can’t imagine what it does to someone with emotional issues. You’re going to get sued one day when someone gets bullied too much and snaps.

7 Likes

But… but, but-- I happen to like love my 5-star Diamond border (I really do)! :cry:

And I like reporting people for abusive chat for any harassment they give me over it almost as much as I enjoy the random compliments I receive from nicer people about it. Blizzard, please allow us to keep our Diamond borders for Overwatch 2. At least give players the option to pick a border of their choice. Please do not take the heavy-handed approach. Please do not remove level-based borders entirely.

Thank you.

6 Likes

But they aren’t talking about rank. :man_shrugging:

My main account is only silver portrait, but I like it as well. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh I see now lol. I’m half asleep at the moment. OP has a good point though. I thought it was a different discussion here.

I just want to have the option to hide it, not to get rid of it. I like the border, but when I go several games in a row with negative discussion centered around it, sometimes I would like a break from it without being forced to stop playing or swap accounts.

3 Likes

I remember hearing people call others losers for having such a high leveled profile border. That was 3 years ago too. 2020 they shouldn’t be doing that. Very odd. I mean they shouldn’t do it regardless, but I expected it back then vs. now.

3 Likes

Been trying to grind a plat border (150 more lvls).
Just hoping I get there before the false reports do.

But now they tell me I won’t be able to show it off (optionally) in OW2? There would definitely be times when showing it would be worth, and times when hiding it would be the way to go.

2 Likes

I don’t see borders. I only see Sr.

Jeff has responded to these kinds topics already, and what he stated sounds like he’s going for the nuclear option to remove the current border system and replace it with another system entirely:

His comment about replacing the current system with another entirely that monitors one’s achievements, particularly his offhanded remark: “for people who care” sounds to me like this is an afterthought effort. Almost like it will just be some sort system of “visible-to-self only” badges or just be an extension of one’s stats buried in their own private profile, should they feel compelled enough to delve into it. How exciting.

I happen to like showing off my achievements to others—and especially the pretty border that took so long to earn, even it occasionally nets me negative commentary.

Jeff listened to these sorts of whiny topics from the vocal minority about border shaming and to people asking for borders to be removed outright. And in Overwatch 2, borders are going away. So congrats: you win. And for people like me who like what we have and can handle dealing with the occasional border-shaming moron shallowly asking to be reported for abusive chat in-game? We lose yet another cool feature.

All we need is the option for players to pick their own preferences for unlocked borders. Not Jeff’s described decision, which is to replace the current system altogether with something entirely different.

1 Like

Never said I wanted it to go away, just want to option to hide it. Sucks when 80% of my games are people trash talking my border because they want one. Hide border, focus on game.

1 Like

In all honesty I used to get this all the time while I was sharing an account/PC with my son, plat boarder, Silver rank, I just muted the toxic folks, he’s climbed to Diamond since then. Just mute the toxic people, and play in your own way.

2 Likes