Can we get some Blizzcon hype up in here?

If only…if only …

But, I don’t rain on your parade. Enjoy!

how would you feel if scoreboard contribution was voluntary? Like any game you might see 2 people’s stats plus yours, but your other three teammates would have little padlocks over their stats. And they could set scoreboard contribution to “nil” in their profile settings.

This would empower the users. Because if you think people may misinterpret stats, the most you “should” be able to do is hide your own stats, not the stats of others. And those “others” that I speak of, may not care if I misinterpret their stats.

It’s very bizarre that if someone wanted to show me their stats and I wanted to show them mine, that you would try to stop this exchange.

I think it would make it worse than the whole scoreboard because now you’re getting an even more restricted and filtered view of data that I already consider largely useless.

If they are to add a scoreboard in any way, I think the only acceptable implementation is a post-game scoreboard. Those who understand how this game is played largely understand why this data is fairly useless. I find that people who do want a scoreboard are the ones who actually think this information can provide actual value for making decisions in the game. I would say these people are largely missing the big picture and trying to micro-optimize irrelevant data.

However a post game scoreboard would be perfectly fine just to get a high level of how things played out compared to your peers, and would help satisfy those who simply like seeing statistics.

Normally I don’t agree with this type of mentality, but I largely see this as taking away the gun so people can’t shoot themselves in the foot. I don’t think the vast majority of people understand the game well enough to understand why these stats are largely useless.

2 Likes

do gooders who do harm.

you’re priorities are backwards, the first priority is freedom of exchange. Correctly interpreting scoreboards comes in a distant second.

because in realty. I could just relay my stats across comms and team chat. So you’re “no scoreboard” stance is just a mirage.

true, you won’t ever see someone shoot themselves in the foot. you might also see somethings that you never did wish to see as well

It may be your first priority, but not mine. My priority would be not giving people access to information that they will misinterpret and ruin the experience for others. As far as I’m concerned, this information not only provides no real value, I consider it to be actively detrimental to the team. It will be misinterpretted and used in ways no better than “I have gold medals with 3, this team is trash.” Except now you’re giving them even more ammunition.

Sure, nothing prevents you from doing so, but the key difference is the efficiency of the operation. Making something extremely difficult to do demotivates people from doing it. Not to mention, there is an important stigma about people who do not share their information as “hiding something.” Look no further than how people complain about private profiles. The moment you see a scoreboard where someone has a padlock next to their name some people will inevitably badger them as to why.

3 Likes

how so? by toxic voice comms? making unwise hero picks because of stat misinterpretation?

again, you’re only looking at one side of the coin. I cannot denied what you said it true. But having a scoreboard will be a net gain, no matter how little you value a QoL feature that eliminates the need for us to relay stats over voice comms.

and that’s why we need QoL for the LFG because then we can assure that all 5 of our teammates have their scoreboards unlocked. Don’t see Overwatch for what it is. See Overwatch for what it could be.

My God the negativity on this forum knows no bounds. Just let the man be hyped, jeez.

This place is a baron waste land of salt.

2 Likes

I think he made that reply in jest. It’s all good :sunglasses:

The latter, along with increased toxicity for the same reasons, and reinforcing bad behavior. If you give someone who is prone to misinterpretting statistics even more information, they will misinterpret it even more.

Aside from a post game scoreboard I have to respectfully disagree. For every scenario where I could foresee an intelligent player deriving something of value from these stats mid game, I can think of a thousand where people would massively abuse or misinterpret the data, leading to even worse match quality.

Eh, as far as I’m concerned LFG is just a dead feature. I can only see this working in cases where such features were locked exclusively behind LFG (such that all user sin a group must opt-in in order for it to be used), but nobody uses LFG anyway.

2 Likes

there’s nothing wrong with playing poorly, the SR system is designed to match you with your peers

How can you be so concerned about a strawman, but have no concern for me? I’m standing right in front of you :cry: no one is saying keep a scoreboard away from me, it’s always keep a scoreboard away from them

I dream of intelligent discussions regarding stats during a match. Have a little faith :slight_smile:

Yes! We have a convert! Spread the good news :smiley:

I’m praying to Daddy Kaplan we’re getting a new Tank/Support Hero, an epic animated short, a new map, and news about upcoming lore (and I don’t mean just a cookbook).

2 Likes

Wait TWO new heroes???

I rather not get hyped cause i’ll probably be disapointed.

Of course not, but I’m not going to endorse a feature that allows people to play even worse. It’s detrimental to the community as a whole.

I dont want a scoreboard either. I’m absolutely asking Blizzard to keep it away from me as well. I don’t want it, and I know for certain that if I had it I would absolutely fall victim to it’s misleading data from time to time as well.

Alright, let me ask you this, then: What scenario and which piece of information are you sharing with your teammates is providing value, and why?

I mean not quite. I just consider LFG to be a wild west. If you have a full group of 6 players who all agree to specific terms then I dont really care what they do, since they aren’t pulling random people into their escapades.

1 Like

ok, but they would have to start developing a scoreboard and push it to PTR and then to live.

have you ever had a positive experience in Overwatch? I’d say 15% of my games are toxic 5% are positive and 80% no one says anything. I believe these ratios will stay steady if a scoreboard was introduced. Expect people will also be talking about stats.

If by “positive experience” you mean people actively engaged in positive and cheerful conversation, then no. But that’s true for almost everything I’ve ever done, and I like it that way.

If you mean positive as in I have fun, then yes like 95% of the time I play I enjoy it. I generally dont care or want to talk to people and I often find the people who do talk to just be annoying and detract from the experience.

what I mean is that comms are positive. “Great swap on that Dva!” “Sick Ult Reaper.” Stuff like that.

don’t you make call outs over comms?

I do not experience this that often, no. But I also don’t really care to, either.

Very rarely. I generally play with a friend and I talk to them in an external chat client and will occasionally make some callouts, but it’s mostly random chatter.

1 Like

forcing people into team chat would seem like something you would be for. After all, if scoreboards deteriorate game play, then the possibility of missing call outs must as well.

but that’s not really what we were talking about. We were talking about it’s existence or lack thereof.

I consider there to be a distinct difference between forcing someone to do something beneficial and giving someone to tools to make something much worse.

I dont really see how a scoreboard would help here. I’ve played dozens of games with scoreboards before and maybe 5 times ever has someone said something positive based on the data they saw - e.g. “wow 30k and 5d, you’re really good!”. On the flip side I’ve seen people called out numerous times for bad stats. Not having a >1.0 K/D ratio == you trash.

1 Like