Can we get a "report for harassment" button?

TL;DR is at the bottom if you don’t like Story Time

So it’s a (late) Friday night and I’m queueing Quick Play, not Competitive, with my friends. Someone in our QP game asks everyone to join voice chat, to which we do because it is a team game. It’s QP, it’s for fun.

Immediately, these two people start asking me how fat I am, because “every Overwatch gamer girl weighs at least 300 lbs”. I shrug it off. The game is quiet except for these remarks about how hideous I must be.

The one guy is dying alone so I go to help him since I’m on Moira. He then says “I’ve got you, Gamer Girl!”…because, you know, I’m the one who needed the help. I reply “Oh I don’t know what I’d do without you.” And then he screams “DON’T F#@%ING TALK TO ME” in my ear.

Between the insults and the lack of executing anything well, we lose. At the very end, one of them proceeds to talk about my private parts. Vocally.

Since I am such a stupid Gamer Girl™, I recorded everything the both of them said to me & submitted it directly to Blizzard.

I am posting this story publicly, however, because I’m sure that I’m not the only player who feels personally attacked on this game sometimes. They could have critiqued my ult usage, my positioning, my inability to perform at key moments, but instead they only insulted my gender.

I understand that Blizzard actively works towards improving the report system. However I think everyone could benefit from a more serious reporting method along the lines of reporting those who are blatantly sexist/homophobic/racist/scum of the earth.

Abusive Chat is a button, yes, but this was not abusive chat - this was voice chat. Blizzard would be unable to act on this claim without my video. Moreover, there’s a difference between being a rude troll and just downright HATING specific people.

TL;DR: ---------------------------------------------------------------

I am requesting a special report category for all types of Harassment, as well as suggesting the possibility of adding some way to save a clip in-game of situations like my own without the use of third-party software.

I’d hate to use the “I don’t like Competitive because of these people” card, but that’s the only reason I don’t play it often. People like these two men are what discourage me from trying to play this game to the fullest.

If we had a magical button to snapshot & report people who are vocally toxic in team chat, wouldn’t that be great?

Anyway, thanks for reading. Sorry for the long post. I hope that eventually we’ll have the means to handle people like this more easily. Have a good one, everybody!

2 Likes

Actually harassment is considered abusive chat and you should use that reporting category. Voice chat is monitored, and Blizzard does have new features in their moderation systems to detect behavior exactly like this and your reports help improve these features. Learn more here:

1 Like

LitteBigPlanet had a “good grief!” feature that lets you snap pictures of content that you find offensive, with a little text box for you to explain why.
This game would benefit from something like that, especially if there could be a way to send “highlights” of moments you want to report as well.