Can we get a Black Woman Hero?

see, there it is again.

IF we are going to get specific the color of the skin is only an adaptation of the region. The only distinction between races is bone structure and over the years you can identify a persons race by such just like you can identify height and gender.

Both pharah and Anna are Egyptian. That is their nationality. Egypt has Africans/poc they are both poc. And literally it is idiotic to look at them and think otherwise.
Unless you judge a race purely by skin tone.

touches the ground

Something bad happened here.

1 Like

yep, escape while you still can

Iā€™m still trying to figure out why they made D. VA and Mei white. I mean, arenā€™t they Korean and Chinese respectively? :joy:

FR though guys, this isnā€™t something to attack the OP over. Itā€™s literally the most harmless suggestion Iā€™ve seen on the forums today. Chill

2 Likes

No one is denying that theyā€™re women of color. But they are not Black women. They simply arenā€™t. Because Charlize Theron was born in Africa, does that make her a Black woman?

1 Like

I mean, Eastern Asian people tend to be pale? If thatā€™s what you mean?

Or: you lot continued to harass her and tell her that she was ridiculous for wanting Black women in a game where everyone is represented and can see themselves as heroes.

4 Likes

how are they white? theyre light skinned like chinese and koreans actually are. because they didnt pull the corners of their eyes to the back of their heads and make them yellow?

1 Like

I never ridiculed her for wanting black women in the game, but she, as mentioned before was victimizing herself, and why does the race of the character really matter? To make you feel good?

Lol you may have watched too much anime :rofl:

Patronizing? Nah. Also, They are blowing this out of proportion. OP makes it sound like as if Blizzard is against having a black woman as a hero. And I did not completely dismiss her. I did note some potential candidates (Mirembe and the woman in the photo).
Why not just let Blizzard do their thing? Let them develop the hero and make sure theyā€™re fun and playable. Just because I donā€™t completely agree with OP without question doesnā€™t mean me or others donā€™t want a black woman hero. We want them to be amazing heroes and not just be there just to satisfy someoneā€™s diversity quota.

I never said her point of view didnā€™t matter, and i donā€™t remember that guy calling her stupid at all.

anime is also made in asian countries like korea so even if a representation is completely off does it matter if we draw them in fictional media the same way they draw themselves lol

Does it matter? Not really, no. I just find it a little odd is all.

wow almost 300 posts in this thread in like only 2 hours?

Overwatch is huge in America, and I am sure there are a lot of black female players who want a hero they can identify with, I think this would be a great thing :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Itā€™s literallyā€¦ right thereā€¦ but okay.

I keep going back to OPā€™s first post and thereā€™s NOTHING thatā€™s like ā€™ Hey, Blizzard. I know you hate black women, so I am here to call you out on it.ā€™ They started the thread with respect, and after the response they got, can you really blame them for reacting that way? (Which, by the way, was way too collected for me. I wouldā€™ve lost it so fast, lol)

The thing is, you guys are dismissing the whole picture, not just this. I know you gave some examples, so that was cool, but imagine if you loved this game to bits, and wish you could see yourself in it, and then a bunch of people made fun of you for it? Kept telling you that that doesnā€™t matter when it really does to you?

I understand that people can disagree, it happens. No oneā€™s going to think the same way. But try a littleā€¦ I donā€™t know, empathy? Try to listen why exactly this person wants it? It may not be important to you, you may think itā€™s stupid, but if itā€™s important to someone, why not try to listen to their side?

4 Likes

I wonder how much of a hot button it would be if Blizzard introduced new skins that literally recolored a heroes skin to be identified as a different race, or just flat out let you change the pigment of the skin of that character? :thinking:

He doesnā€™t care and he thinks itā€™s stupid to complain about because it is. What difference does it make? Legitimately what does it bring to the game thatā€™s not already there?