Can We Admit Role Queue is a Failure?

Yeah, personally I did like 132 and I don’t like 222.

So, I mean, we’re going to light the game on fire and watch it burn down, at least I’d be able to play a team comp I enjoy, in the meantime.

Yes, don’t get me wrong, it would be nice if we could find a solution that pleases everyone and makes this game feel better for us, overall.

But, that’s like asking a genie for a unicorn at this point. I think most people are just at the end of the world phase right now. It’s time to throw a party until the earth explodes. Basically, go out with a bang, so to speak. Lol.

Yeah, that would be nice. But, I don’t know if it’ll happen.

Get ready for the new experimental mode in 2025:

0-6-0

It’s like Call of Duty, but cartoony!

Lol.

2 Likes

That is a good thing ™ long may it continue.

Well for the supports it was how you won matches. If you going out there to do risky stuff to make plays, then you going down was a lost fight, and your ability to make play was pretty questionable in the first place.

It wasn’t that they were as such OP, it was that they didn’t have any kind of reward for their risk, so they stopped risking.

Like, support at least were powerful as all hell, but, they were powerful if they were alive, and doing anything above and beyond that was NOT rewarded.
So as long as you didn’t screw up, wither you win or lose isn’t really up to you.
Which kinda sucked.

So I left supporting…

On dps if I play badly, I lose games, if I play well, I win them.

On Support if I don’t play like a potato, then we may win or lose. If I played REALLY well, we may win or lose.

It was all very Meh.

The core problem with OW right now is the continued trend towards restricted play…it started with forced role queue…then map pools…now hero pools…who knows where else they’re going to next…

We need less of it…switching from 222 to 132 will do nothing…

Freedom is severely lacking atm and that’s supposed to be a staple of the game

11 Likes

It’s kinda both true and false? Since in most ranks everyone makes fatal mistakes, so being able to offset that as support is enough to carry games as they’ll get man advantage solely because of themselves.

Rn it’s harder to do such things as supports were kinda able to bail people out w/ some ease in most cases, but not that easy anymore.

Thank you for mentioning hero pools, because I wasn’t even thinking about it when I wrote this. I think that’s the final straw for a lot of people. Kephrii quit the week Widow was banned. I think that made him do a lot of introspection and wonder why he even plays the game anymore. No one wants to log in on a Thursday and see that their favorite hero is banned from competitive play. It’s so counterproductive, especially during a time where the game is at its best balanced state ever. It makes no sense whatsoever. There’s no oppressive character in this game to the point where they deserve a ban.

2 Likes

My games have been unquestionably better since.

It doesn’t fix every problem, but it is far better than it was before.

4 Likes

Well, theres always qp classic lol

6 Likes

Yes of course.

Imagine expending more time waiting in a queue than actually playing the game. And before you come with " hur dur dps main get r3kt" if I play all day Tank/Support and decide to go DPS I’ll still have to wait around 10 minutes or more.

3 Likes

Depends on if u view having at least 1 soft-throwing teammate every game is “better” than 5 people who usually plays what they actually have business playing.

As a flex player, I think it’s worse, cuz using myself as standard I can see the soft-throw from miles away.

7 Likes

Yeah nerfing the heal stacking and absurd aoe heal values of moira and baptiste

Compleatly agree i never heard any one complain about this… of course it needed balance but dont give up

2 Likes

Since playing like a slightly better than your average potato gave you the same rewards as playing like a god, you didn’t have the other supports really screw up often.

Yeah, but it didn’t make a difference anyway. it went from, you COULD bail them out, by not doing much, to no matter what you did, it was already over for them.

Neither side gives you a lot of room for skill expression.

Take your base example. If you have a healing beam on someone as Mercy, and they are one shot by widow, you didn’t really have any kind of interaction with the game.

You could be amazing, and they are one shot by widow, or you could be a potato, and they are one shot by widow.

Your skill didn’t get a look in, and too much of supporting is like that.

Mercy’s skill expression is in her damage beam, but you can see at the end of the game how much damage difference that actually made.

It isn’t much.

1 Like

Yeah, ever since Role Q became a thing, The developer team seems to have the philosophy of:

“More restrictions means more fun”

Like:

“We restricted your role choices, We restricted your map choices, We restricted your hero choices, Why aren’t you happy?”

Well, I wonder…

8 Likes

1 support fending off 3 dps is not going to be feasible unless supports will literally do more damage than the strongest dps heroes. They’d have to be powerhouses or unkillable demigods to justify having 1 healer per team. All strats will revolve around ganking the support.

1 Like

And some of us are convinced it still is.

Just leave it alone.

2 Likes

I agree w/ this, this usually translate into “support having low performance ceiling”.

That’s the thing imo, as they are more punished by their mistakes than before while not being rewarded more by being better.

Sadly the support-dps interaction indicates this HAS to be the case or we’d have the same thing over and over again.

Ofc, there’s heroes that can invalidate support work unless u are really really good at healing and reflex.

Even if you’re a supporter of 222 Role Q, You have to admit that it’s not working in its current form.

6 Likes

Sorry bud but 222’s here either you like it or not. And if you dont like it, arcade exists.

2 Likes

Ah, the “adapt or leave” philosophy.

Yeah, because that’s been working great, so far…

If people keep up with that mentality, there’ll be almost no one left to play the game.

7 Likes

Are the games of higher quality? Undeniably yes.

Are less games being lost in spawn room? Again undeniably yes.

So we are stuck with a situation where the sole weakness of 2/2/2 is DPS queue times which is an issue that can be fixed. Outside of that, match quality is way higher than before, and teammate quality is also way higher than before and both of those are undeniable.

2 Likes