Can someone please explain to me how Hammond isnt op?

This isn’t meant to be an argumentative post or discourse I genuinely want someone to explain to me how Hammond isnt considered broken by the wider community

:black_small_square:︎He’s got the highest mobility in the game
:black_small_square:︎He also has the highest health in the game, which he can increase further with his abilities, which also doesn’t give ult charge
:black_small_square:︎He can leave any engagement that doesnt suit him easily with his ball form
:black_small_square:︎He can hide his headshot hitbox while still being able to do damage
:black_small_square:︎Has CC on most of his kit
:black_small_square:︎He can stall objectives so easily and endlessly because his grapple lasts forever
:black_small_square:︎His ult lasts for 20 seconds (a not insignificant time in Overwatch) and it kills any squishy in 2 mines because they each do so much damage

He has such a bloated and powerful kit, I thought the reason Tracer only has 150hp is because her mobility and DPS is insane, so why is this exact opposite true about Hammond?

Mobility is power, and Hammond is given 600hp with the possibility to add a maximum of 700hp on top of his already insane mobility, CC and stalling capability.

Literally the only downside I can find in Hammond is that he’s useless without his abilities but that only matters if the enemy team has a Sombra and then that’s if the Sombra can even get a hack off on Hammond.

It just doesn’t make sense to me that of all the heroes, Hammond isnt the one the community despises the most and wants nerfs for.

1 Like

Can someone explain to me why DoubleBarrier, or Rush doing it’s best at “Almost GOATs” is preferable over Dive?

While he is a very good hero, there are multiple hard counters available to shut him down.

3 Likes

“Ball is OP!!!”…said Brig & Sombra never

1 Like

Hammond is incredible at not dying, but it’s difficult to do anything else with him.

6 Likes

High skill cap, I reckon.

I also think he should be toned down, but I’m sure how without making him utterly worthless.

Ball is a disrupter with good self sustain, but carrying games with him is very difficult. Yeatle said as much in his stream. If you don’t play him properly, you’ll just feed. He can be dealt with, but he distracts your team very well. Not op.

1 Like

you are right and you should say it
unfortunately there are so many stun/hax heroes for every role’s roster that he can easily be chain CCed

my only suggested nerf for him is reducing his passive rolling speed from 10mps to 8.5mps.

but if the devs ever rework a bunch of heroes and remove some stuns from the game he will definitely need hard nerfs. this is coming from someone who plays him a lot

True, but he doesn’t have as high evasiveness as characters like Tracer who can dodge CC. It is very easy to hit him with stuns.

At the cost of needing to get close to enemies, leaving him vulnerable to heavy damage and CC.

Same idea as the first point. He can leave an engagement provided that the enemy has no stuns.

Both times he’s able to damage requires an ability.

If his abilities didn’t knock back/up enemies he would be useless.

Stuns shut that down but I get where you’re coming from on the rare occasion your team doesn’t have any.

In exchange it is immobile and most characters have a way to escape it while the mines arm. Heroes with AoE damage, AoE damage ults, or a heavy sustain ability also clear the mines quickly. It is a zoning ult, so it should be good at keeping people away from certain areas for a bit.

5 Likes

Well at least it’s not 1 mine hahaha.

Hammond is the only hero that has a TRUE counter as karQ said.

Sombra can and will make a good Hammond useless every time.

He has numerous counters in addition.

I however see your point very much. I’ve always wondered the same myself. He has a lot going for him.

as best as i can tell…its a comfort thing…

people feel save behind the big bulky guys up front (that are also easier to heal - if youre a support)

and over the years ive found that people have NO IDEA how to play without barriers…its like terrain doesnt exist…no barrier theyre not moving

he feeds alot tho depending on the hammond player i guess…kinda like roadhog but worse?

put a half competent sombra and mei in a game and hammond is kinda toast…

That said some people will stupidly never switch of to counter… especially in mayhem lol can spam shield and shoot people in the face from start to finish is no one counters me like total hamster terminator…

I just sitt there fireing spamming shield and people just die… and if they dont switch to counter frankly they desrever it lol…

As far as I can tell, it’s a “I’m a Support player in average ELOs, this thing kills me, nerf it into the ground”

Hammond isn’t seen as OP by the community being he is very easy to hard punish to the point Wball is getting little to no real value.
Outside of top 500 sort of play the only reason a Wball is getting any value at all is the other team refuses to counter pick around him.

Being a solo Sombra can ruin Wball like it’s nothing. Ana saving sleep can wreck him if there i focus fire, same for Hog and even Orisa can pin him to the ground. So when every role has a way to counter Wball the only reason a WBall is running over the team is EVERY role refuses to deal with it.

Because he is a thick hamster, next question?

He’s a tank without an anchor tank shield. If he makes a mistake he is punished hard, and will feed the enemy ult charge. So he has to get movements right if not he becomes a detriment.

1 Like

Must be a low tier player OP…Ball is easy to deal with until you reach those higher ranks…Bronze,Silver,Gold,Plat and diamond harbor some of the worst ball players in the known universe…Teamwork is something lacking in them ranks which is why ball gives you a hard time

i don’t mind playing against hamster players he doesn’t seem super OP but i agree on his mines. i hate those so much, for how fast he can charge his ult they shouldn’t stay there for 20seconds that’s way too long. either shorten the time or give each mine lower health. i don’t like wasting 2 brig swings to destroy one mine at a time, or seeing the mines still there after the duration of EMP