Can someone explain how the placement works?

Last season high for me was 3100+ and with 8-2 in placement got me only 2830sr. So how it works?

Yeah you join the que, find a team, you argue that everyone autolocks dps then blame you for not being a flexible player. Some proceed to throw and be childish, you lose, you reque again.

then somehow the system decides that your worse than last season

2 Likes

I mean how the rankings and sr work. My placements were fine except in few games.

no one really knows man since its a hidden system, it somehow works out your stats from every placement and gives you an average of what it thinks youre worth

It’s based off your season end. Not high. More detail below:

(2) Overwatch Forums The statement, “You go on a large win or loss streak, it gets less certain” is no longer valid, as win streak bonuses (and loss streak penalties) have been removed from the game.
(15) Developer Update | Upcoming Season 6 Changes | Overwatch - YouTube
(24) Season Placement Data - Google Sheets
(39) Season 9 Placements Analysis, High Variance Explained

You can gain or lose some sr in placements. I have gained 400 before with 9 / 10 wins after skipping a season on a account.

Last season I lost all of them on purpose just to see what would happen… placed 100sr lower than the last seasons finish. So you won’t change too much if you keep your accounts placed.

It’s all pure speculation. Noone knows for sure because Blizzard keeps a tight lid on it. That way they can just keep giving us all the “Mushroom treatment”.

Feed you sh*t and keep you in the dark?

2 Likes

Last season I went 8-2 and gained about 80SR, this season I went 3-7 and lost 90.

Seems about right to me.

Based on what? Season high or season end sr?

I decayed to 3000 season 8 (season high was something like 3170) and I placed 3150 season 9. So :thinking:

It’s basic Blizzard mathematics you know. You see, you take 2 apples and 4 peaches, mix in an avocado and sprinkle with a kiwi. The result of that is banana, which becomes your start rank.

Basically, not even the developers can explain how SR works.

1 Like

Season end. Based off season high wouldn’t make any sense.

Most people peak and drop, as they’re not ready to keep gaining. Basing it from season high would artificially boost people.

What was your sr that you finish last season ie like i ended the season at 2800 season high was 3100 my placement wins would reflect on last 2hat you ended on and if you break even (5 wins) ,you would get more

That’s because your MMR doesn’t decay, only your SR.

Consider the scenario of a top 500 player who’s decided to take a break for a month, their account will have decayed significantly.

Would it be fair to put that decayed top500 with diamond players? Absolutely not.

That’s why matchmaking is based off MMR and not SR.
My main account is in GM and we often get people with diamond badges in our games, but when you look you can see they’re just decayed GM’s.

Placements work exactly the same.

Placements are actually based on MMR, otherwise what happens (like in your case) would never occur.

Placements start from our last MMR position, over 10 matches, and then an adjustment is made for your new starting SR.

MMR and SR are essentially the same thing and one follows the other, it’s just that one number is internal.

I was 2450 and i went 2-8. i got 2640

Hmm…It was like 2700+ or something. Played with silver/gold friend a lot. So so many throwers in the game and avoiding 2 people only makes no sense at all. Should be atleast 20 people or unlimited to avoid people. I’ll be forever plat/diamond when this game have so many throwers and I can only avoid 2 people same time…

I was 2200 and i went 9-1. I got 2400. LUL

1 Like

Seems about right. So win is like 25~ but where does it count where to start? This is mystery.