Can someone explain how SR gain and loss actually works now?

Here are my current conceptions or misconceptions about how SR gain is supposed to work. Please debunk or verify them, anyone who knows.

For Diamond and above, personal performance doesn’t affect SR so it’s only win/loss and everyone gains and loses the same.

The game’s calculated SR determines an overdog and underdog, meaning if your team’s cumulative SR is higher and you lose, you’ll lose significantly more SR and vice-versa. This has nothing to do with your individual SR.

Win and loss streaks are gone. The amount you gain and lose per match is determined by the two above systems.

For an unknown number of matches after your placements, you’ll gain more than you usually would to try and get you toward your “real SR”.

Anything else I’m missing? I’m incredibly confused and disheartened after only coming up 40 sr positive after a 6-4 record for the day, after hours of play.

Yes.

No. There are other factors besides performance SR, such as recovery from decay, and an SR debuff for very high rated players.

Sort of. The effect is based on predicted win probability, which is not exactly SR. It depends on things like grouping as well (the bigger group gets a bump to its expected win probability).

Yes.

There are other factors. See below.

It’s about 18 matches (including placements), for a new account. For inactive accounts, this uncertainty in SR comes back. For active accounts, placements only matter about as much as normal games.

Yes. I’ve written a more complete explainer (with references) at How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 10)

The average gain/loss is about 23 or so. So you only got “cheated” out of maybe 6 SR. And that will probably wash out with more games played. To rank up, you primarily either need a higher win percentage, or many more games played.

3 Likes

I’ll read that, thank you so much for the information! I wish Blizzard was more transparent about these things.

1 Like

This I wouldn’t be so sure on. They do still seem to be in effect to a degree, but not as much as they were.