Can Blizzard Employees exploit Matchmaker Insider Information?

Your (1) is accurate, your (2), (3), and (4) are false.

You are very very bad at drawing inferences from the data in front of you, so I think I can see why you have made a profession of AI.

I never said I made a profession of it, I said I have worked professionally with it for 20+ years.

You are very very bad at drawing inferences from the data in front of you. :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh, so you understand fine distinctions when arguing for your position, but not when others are arguing against it. Interesting!

1 Like

How many Blizzard employees are in the Top 500?

Do you have any data to support this conspiracy theory?

4 Likes

I think you’re interesting too! <3

3 Likes

Awwwww, this took a heart-warming turn! :’)

2 Likes

this is not what I’m talking about, or at least the Overwatch blog was not being forthright. I distinctly remember J.K. saying that they lowered the SR just so you could climb again, and they later determined this was a bad decision.

I think they publicized what you linked, but their aim was not what they said in the blog.

I’m not going to look for the link, and I could be wrong. So I guess you’re right.

I didn’t posit a conspiracy theory, it’s a factual matter whether knowing the secret MMR information would be of any benefit to a player or not.

Indeed, some have argued that the reason why Blizzard can’t reveal this information was because players would exploit it. If true, then that means Blizzard employee-players are freely exploiting it – that’s no “conspiracy” but just what virtually any human being would do if they had this inside information.

It means you ASSUME the handful of Blizz employees w/that specific knowledge are 1. choosing to use that knowledge to try to game the system and 2. have the mechanical skill and/or game sense to actually be able to game the system. Ex. Let’s say part of the secret sauce is that players get a few extra SR points every time they get at least a 3K; the player still has to be good enough to actually get the 3K for that insider knowledge to be worth anything to them.

1 Like

It’s almost like he’s very very bad at drawing inferences from the data in front of him. :rofl:

2 Likes

It may be factual, but I don’t think anyone actually knows whether it’s true or not.

The fact that someone used it in an argument one way or another doesn’t mean someone knows the truth.

It would have to be executed in an actual scientific experiment to determine whether that knowledge would give anyone an advantage.

1 Like

Is English not your first language? “If” doesn’t mean “Assume”.

Well obviously they’d use it if they knew it. Why wouldn’t they? Your wild speculation that the knowledge would be too arcane to use is just that, wild speculation.

If their hidden performance metrics are not worth anything then why keep them hidden from the rest of the players?

It’s almost like you’re just a lazy, bored, opportunistic troll.

1 Like

you bring up a valid and miniscule concern.

if insiders cheat, big deal, there’s only about 100 of them, maybe 500 across all IPs

and besides, what could you do about it anyway?

good point though

Yes, because trolls give reasoned responses like this:

But because you’re a super-high-level-over-9000 AI expert who for some reason needs to ask the Overwatch forums if something is possible, if the answer you get from someone who actually has an idea how possible the thing is doesn’t agree with your biased opinion, he must be a troll. :rofl:

2 Likes

It’s not minuscule, since these very employees are the sole adjudicators of what types of matchmaker improvements would be allowed. This insider benefit could be creating a bias among these pivotal people and thus corrupting the match quality for everyone.

Furthermore, a case can be made that such a design is per se unethical. If something is wrong, it’s irrelevant to argue over whether it is “miniscule concern” or not.

A general recognition of the problem by players could perhaps stimulate the creation of an ethical solution? An unrealistic idealism? Probably…

you are correct. the bias would be miniscule because there are so few insiders compared to all the people who bought OW and actively play competitive.

you cannot know the innerworkings of MMR and not subconsciously exploit it?

what do you suggest? if you know the MMR formula you’re not allowed to play overwatch. devs must play overwatch in a non controlled environment, devs must know the MMR formula. What do you suggest?

these are my favorite discussions. for the time being, you’re correct. there are 500 employees at blizz that milk the matchmaker for all it’s worth…

Your move.

We are referring to two kinds of bias. The bias you’re referring to is of the employees playing the game via exploiting insider information. I agree this would be minuscule.

But I’m referring to the bias when these employee-players are at work, while they are approving and implementing matchmaker mechanics. The former seemingly small bias could potentially be having massive impacts on the gameplay via design alternatives that were not explored because employees were less motivated to explore them, per their employee perk of having exploitable insider knowledge.

This is very unrealistic, given human nature.

um, they’re always gonna know how MMR works, no matter how frequently they change it.

if you know how MMR works, only the most honorable eaglescout could resist such temptations.

you’re starting to not make a lot of sense, would you be interested in using voice comms. There would be less ambiguity in our discussion imho

That’s not necessarily true - if the MMR system is a deep-learning neural network, not even the engineers who created it would be able to say precisely what it’s doing under the hood. They definitely wouldn’t be able to predict the output based on the inputs. That’s kinda why they’re so powerful.

1 Like

Wooo 50 SR! All over it!