Button inputs working inconsistently

So i’m not sure where to post this, seeing as it’s a fairly complicated issue.

I have just moved to a new house and am using a wireless adapter to connect to my home wifi, and while connection is good, there are a couple of issues I have.

Sometimes when pressing buttons, the game will commit to around half the animation (eg: firing an orb as Zenyatta) however it will then revert back as if I hadn’t pressed anything, resulting in lag that is very costly considering how good timing must be in this game.

I have a feeling this may be linked to another issue, which is inconsistent ping. Now I don’t mean sometimes 30 and sometimes 150 due to connectivity and servers. What I mean is my ping will range from 30-40, 30-50 or even 30-60, having constant fluxes around 3 or four times per minute during a match. While it doesn’t seem like much, it can really throw me off at some points due to the inconsistency.

I’m sorry this isn’t much to go off, but if anybody has any ideas on how to improve this (Outside of using a wired connection or moving closer to the router, it’s not possible and I have an extender very close to my PC which I connect to.) I’d be very grateful.

Can’t you, just for testing, try using a Ethernet cable? If it’s the same issue, you could rule that out at least. Also some wlan extenders / repeaters are really just crap. There is something i can recommend for you if you can’t use a long ethernet cable called powerline networking.

It’s like two fat power plugs, one you put in the power socket next to your router and the other where your PC is. They act like a bridge like this:

Router > powerline adapter next to the router > bzzzzzzzzzzz im a lot of electricity and signals bzzzzzzzz > powerline adapter next to your pc > PC

Ethernet cables are used to connect router and pc to the adapters.

The Netgear PL1000 would be one of many such adapters.

I also recommend verifying any connection issues, the fatest way to do this is by running the NetGraph while playing. Press Ctrl + Shift + N. Look for blocks of orange or white to scroll across when you notice this steps of lag. If orange, its a connection problem, if white, you have system performance issues.

Generally this game has 2 issues that fall right into place for something like that.

1 ) It does NOT bode well with WIRELESS
2 ) 3rd party programs for mice and keyboard such as Razer Synapse just FLATOUT do NOT work and case input lag.