[BUG] Winning 5 games to rank up can lose you ranks instead

I’m posting this to draw attention to the issue as the topics on this have received no response so far and some are muddied with unconnected posts.

If you win 5 games without any losses contributing to your rank calculation, the game CAN bug out and drop your rank instead, by jumping down to the lower division of the same number before doing the ranking.

What happened in my case was I won 5 games as Plat 3 where we did extremely well and I knew I was going to rank up (I can tell when we’re playing like clowns and when we’re performing well). After we won the 5th game, it then showed me ranking UP… from gold 3 to gold 1.

This issue has been reported multiple times previously, with no Blizzard response:

and a ton more if you just search for “rank bug” in these forums dating all the way back to the game’s release.

Can we please get a Blizzard response on this?

It’s easy to say, ‘oh, well, just go earn it again!’ if you don’t consider time a resource. But every game takes a while to win or lose in comp–you have to attack, then wait for the opposing team to attack, then do the tiebreakers. Or in KOTH, you have at least 2 rounds or 3. It takes hours to grind out ranks, even if you win every single game, which you’re not going to. This bug represents so much of our time wasted, and to add insult to injury, can keep happening again, based on the reports.

*edit: Going to clarify that when this bug happened, I say it ranked UP because it played the ranking up animation.

It looks like they’ve now removed the ranking up/ down animation in season 3 (I don’t see it anymore), so that you won’t even be able to tell anymore if you suddenly fell 5 ranks because it was a bug or intended.

48 Likes

I Just ranked up from Plat 5 to Plat 4 to Plat 3.
Then at Plat 3 I went 5 wins - 2 losses and it showed a “rank up” animation and got Gold 3!!
Now my player profile looks like I decided to start hard throwing a whole season. Time to take a break.

19 Likes

Assuming your win-loss ratio is positive, you might be experiencing the bug in which during a rerank, your initial rank is demoted five subdivisions before the adjustment takes place. There’s tons of posts under my thread about players with those exact bugs if you’d like to read more about it. Comprehensive Thread Of All Top 500/Competitive Bugs. I put your thread under: Incorrect Rank Adjustment. If you can, could you record your bugged rank adjustment, making sure that at some point in the video it shows your pre-adjustment rank, either from the queue menu or the career profile, and link that video to the thread? Please help in spreading the word about this megathread and other related threads regarding these issues.

10 Likes

just happened to me for the 2nd time so there is no just do it again, its not playing ranked until its fixed. so disappointing we haven’t heard a response

such a waste of time

6 Likes

Bump. Still hoping for a Blizzard reply.

6 Likes

Same issues over here fellas/ladies. I’ve gone plat 5 to gold 4 in three placement rounds on both tank and dps. It doesn’t make sense. Still winning, and going down.

4 Likes

Ive been stuck at bronze four since I started playing. Everytime I win the five games my rank never increases, it always stays at bronze four

8 Likes

Same Bs for me… I was Gold 4 support, so the game decided to rank me Silver 5 to Silver 2 -_-

5 Likes

This just happened to me as well I was wondering why I dropped from Plat 2 to Gold 3. Seems like something we have in common.

5 Likes

Just happened to me too. Was plat 4, won 5 games (lost 2), and it showed me promoted from gold 4 to gold 1. WTF?

6 Likes

Was gold 3. Promoted from silver 5 to silver 2.

5 Likes

bruh this is the exact reason i stopped playing ow2 when it launched. i was surprised that ranked bugs still exist i got promoted from s5 to s3 with very decent winrate, and now i got demoted to s5 somehow by winning 5 and losing like 3 games. they should put more effort in their ranked system rather than cosmetics and events, what good is a skin if i don’t want to play a competitive game where ranked has been bugged for almost a year now

5 Likes

Same here just now.
Gold 5 and finished 5 wins, it shows Silver 5 for a split second ranking up to Silver 2, what the heck?? This is very demotivating as time is a valuable resource and I feel like I just wasted evening achieving a demotion.

4 Likes

For a few days I have been trying to rank up and got to gold 2 and then i got de ranked all the way down to silver 4 and was mind blown even though I had won 5 and only lost about 4 so was confused why my rank had gone down so far and probably wont be playing ranked until it get fixed

4 Likes

Just bappened to me…went from silver 2 to going from bronze 2 to bronze 1. How are we supposed to fix this??

4 Likes

I just had this happen to me today. I know I have lost games prior but never hit the 15 consecutive losses to be reranked. I was currently Platinum 2 and won the 5 games I needed to be reranked. While it was showing my new ‘rank’ it said I was in Gold for some reason. So assuming it thought I was in Gold 2 and now it placed me in Gold 1. It is annoying putting in the time and effort to try and move up to have this happen.

5 Likes

Just went this week from plat 1 to now silver 1. Every time I rank up it tells me I’m in the sr bellow what I am, and then I rank up. I’ve spent a week trying to play enough to get back but this happens every time I rerank.

6 Likes

This has happened to me twice this comp season. It’s really disheartening. As much I enjoy playing Overwatch, this makes it really hard to be motivated to keep playing.

6 Likes

I just want my ranks back :frowning: spent a bunch of time trying to get to d2 range fell behind a bit, and then boom half way through my rank up matches three wins in, i see that my rank is ACTUALLY plat 4 out of NOWHERE

6 Likes

Same thing, consistently winning 5-0, 5-1, 5-2 and I’m stuck losing or maintaining ranks instead. Went from gold to silver and Way Down we Go :grimacing:

3 Likes